• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA now wants costs cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think employees at Home Depot make more than pilots already. I agree, we need a unified stand, not just DAL. In a perfect world, All airline employees would go on strike! That would draw some attention and send the message to stop attacking labor. I guarentee you that if everyone walked out, the attack on our livelyhood would end. Has management ever once considered raising the price of a ticket instead of cutting labor costs. ALPA should act for the good of all pilots, and not just the pilots at one airline. If UAL and USAir, etc didn't take paycuts, the snowball would've never started rolling.

Like Big Slick pointed out, most high time guy's at a major are doing pretty well.

Define "pretty well." How old are you? How would you like to see your income reduced 50 percent, and be staring down the barrel at the loss of your job and your pension -- at 50 or 55?

Do you think senior pilots have never been on furlough? Many have, and some more than once. It's a lay-off, man -- the company giveth, and the company taketh away. I ask again: what is it you expect more senior (i.e., unfurloughed) pilots to do for you?

lumax said:
It's B.S. for one airline to stand up for the others such as Delta might do if their contract is thrown out and they strike. In this case all ALPA pilots should strike and the message would definately be heard, STOP ATTACKING LABOR!

As long as there are guys who think an SOS or all ALPA pilots should strike, we are never going to be effective.

Get educated. Get informed. Get involved.

81 Horse let's look at a few examples. Back in 01-04 when all this started you had SW pilots voluntarily reducing the flying hours so they would not have to furlough. At roughly the same time you had DAL with the battle cry Full Pay To The Last Day. They obviously didn't care who got furloughed. Now look at the situation. Another example, look how many pilot groups have agreed to an increase in pension pay which is offset by a wage concession i.e NW. Then asked to take more concessions or the company will liquidate or lose thier pensions in BK. Thus the pilots are forced to "protect" their pensions. Had they stuck to their guns in the first place, they wouldn't be in this position. Another example, look at UPS's first year pay 26K. Be real, who can live on that. Why haven't they fixed this years ago. Because nobody beyond 2 years cares. Bottom line is, look at it as a career with sound growth and movement for everyone not just how it affects me. Trust me, I know this is too much to ask because it is ultimately about number one, but there are areas which can be addressed if you remember what it was like when you were in the "bad shoes".

Last edited:
... but there are areas which can be addressed if you remember what it was like when you were in the "bad shoes".

But, Rick, all the shoes are bad right now at the legacies. Truly, it's at the point where pilots are thinking about "number one" (that is, their own families), because they have to. It's a farkin' lifeboat mentality, and no way around it.

However. That said, there are still many, many pilots at NW and DL right now who say they are willing to hold the line, no matter what. Time will tell.

buckeyes95 said:
I think employees at Home Depot make more than pilots already. I agree, we need a unified stand, not just DAL. In a perfect world, All airline employees would go on strike! That would draw some attention and send the message to stop attacking labor. I guarentee you that if everyone walked out, the attack on our livelyhood would end. Has management ever once considered raising the price of a ticket instead of cutting labor costs. ALPA should act for the good of all pilots, and not just the pilots at one airline. If UAL and USAir, etc didn't take paycuts, the snowball would've never started rolling.

Home depot employees make more than most airline pilots? please show me the numbers to back this up. You are up for best oscar in a dramatic role.

D'Angelo said:
Home depot employees make more than most airline pilots? please show me the numbers to back this up. You are up for best oscar in a dramatic role.

And you took the golden globe in "village idiot" award!

Im just saying taking the absolute worst case scenario you average out the pay on the lowest 737 payscale. Working only the guarantee of 65 hrs/month you still make around 63,000 per year at delta. Show me how you can make that just walking into home depot. Wheres the numbers? Oh thats right pilots truly are drama queens

D'Angelo said:
Im just saying taking the absolute worst case scenario you average out the pay on the lowest 737 payscale. Working only the guarantee of 65 hrs/month you still make around 63,000 per year at delta. Show me how you can make that just walking into home depot. Wheres the numbers? Oh thats right pilots truly are drama queens

I don't know why I'm even acknowledging this idiot with a response....Here goes dumba$$.
Ever hear the term, you're worth what you negotiate?? Probably not. Ao you think its alright for management to just dip into your pocketbook and reward themselves with golden parachutes and bonuses while the company continues to bleed money! Which tells me either you're that stupid and beyond comprehension, or just a management puke in disguise. Now go and pick up some open time and have the captain baby sit your useless a$$!

The law of supply and demand would dictate that wages and benefits should remain the same or go up upon consideration of the looming pilot shortage.

No...I am not Kit Darby.

Latest resources

Back