• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA MD80 engine failure at LGA yesterday on takeoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UAL has had 4 in the last couple weeks on the 737, the latest was Sunday night in MCI. It seems the 737's are getting there old engines put back on before returning it to the leasing company. The failures are occurring within a few days of the engine swap.

I watched him cross over Great Neck Estates with the gear down at 700' and it didn't look like he was going to make it. Go to Passur.com and enter the tracking for 1641 local at LGA and you can watch by clicking on the departure off of 4, that's 2391.

I am wondering if the uncontained engine failure also took out the associated hydraulic system. In any event, it was surreal, I've had nightmares that looked like what I was witnessing.

Ya know, I think it's kinda interesting that this event almost received no press, but the B757 got all kinds just because they popped the slides.

This crew deserved much more kudos in my opinion.

I am wondering if the uncontained engine failure also took out the associated hydraulic system. In any event, it was surreal, I've had nightmares that looked like what I was witnessing.

What associated hydraulic system? I'm too lazy to dig in my manuals, but as I recall the -80 has only rudder boost and an elevator pusher for hydraulics - flight controls. And I believe both of those are off of accumulators. Cable driven control tabs. It's one of 'the original fly by wire planes': 1/8 inch steel cable.

GOOD JOB Gents!!

Multiple checklists to run

I am wondering if the uncontained engine failure also took out the associated hydraulic system.

I was given exactly that situation on a MD-88 simulator LOFT (engine failure, one hyd system out, and unsafe gear light). The instructor said it had actually happened to a Scandanavian maddog, and they got a punctured wing tank to boot.

I watched him cross over Great Neck Estates with the gear down at 700' and it didn't look like he was going to make it. Go to Passur.com and enter the tracking for 1641 local at LGA and you can watch by clicking on the departure off of 4, that's 2391.

Passur.com wasn't very user-friendly. It took me a little navigating, but next to last on the page: http://www.passur.com/airportmonitor-locations.htm

is LGA. Click and then you can enter august, 4th, 1641.

You can see them depart and turn right over Great Neck.

I think you meant to say flight 2393, not 2391. Flightaware doesn't show AAL2393 on August 4th as diverted to JFK from ATL, but the flight track appears to go to JFK - hard to see but just say to yourself:

enhance....

enhance....

enhance...

enhance...

I'm sure the executive management team will get another bonus for a job well done. The pilots? Not so much.

What associated hydraulic system? I'm too lazy to dig in my manuals, but as I recall the -80 has only rudder boost and an elevator pusher for hydraulics - flight controls. And I believe both of those are off of accumulators. Cable driven control tabs. It's one of 'the original fly by wire planes': 1/8 inch steel cable.

GOOD JOB Gents!!

I think he's talking about gear being down.

PIPE

Yes, the gear was down and that was a real problem for him judging by what I saw. I don't know about the MD80 but I was wondering if landing gear hydraulics could be affected by that uncontained failure.

I am glad it all worked out OK.

Latest resources

Back