AA in LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

poor2thecore

Just a question for you AA types: what aircraft are based in LAX and how senior/junior is it for that specific fleet type? Do you ever start any trips out of SNA, ONT, etc etc?

Thanks all!

Lax:

777 Ca 1974-1984
777 Fo 1984-1990
767 Ca 1974-1987
767 Fo 1986-1999
737 Ca 1984-1990
737 Fo 1989-2000
S80 Ca 1979-1991
S80 Fo 1987-2001

Pilots must cover LAX, SNA, ONT and SAN.

Last edited:
Yes, the -80 and 737 F/O bid statuses have been filled this year by recently recalled pilots who were hired in late '00/early '01. It is not the most junior base in the system but not that senior, either... about middle. And yes, we have trips that originate out of SNA and SAN.... not sure about ONT.

Hey aa73 great info as always. Just curious, is DFW infact the most senior? Do you have numbers for that domicile?

No interest in ever being based there, just heard from a few recently recalled flowbacks that they'll never hold DFW, which I thought was kind of strange, since, if it's anything like Eagle, must be the largest domicile at mainline as well.

I heard AA NY base is pretty nice, what is your guys long call reserve like??? Also do you cover JFK, EWR, and LGA???

Hi Starscream. DFW is just about the most senior base we have. WTF knows why? Right now, the S80 is locked out for bidding due to the massive # of reinstatements waiting to come back. From what I know, there are furloughed pilots all the way to the most jr. on the street who have a DFW S80 reinstatement. As of this month, the most jr S80 FO in DFW was hired around May 2000, just recently reinstated. Junior S80 lineholder is around an early '99 hire. The 737 tends to go to 1998/early 1999 hires. The 767 is about the same. If you do get awarded DFW, plan on YEARS on reserve. The int'l widebody flying pretty much sucks, too - they cut a lot of stuff to free up airplanes for int'l expansion out of MIA and NY.

DFW is always the first base to displace during shrinkage. In the last round of cuts, folks were booted out of there for up to 2-3 years. It is just incredibly senior for us.

Zman - NY is the place to be at AA. I just transferred to the int'l division this year and am here to stay. By far the most varied flying, and slated to expand in the next few years. Also the most junior base. With the massive terminal, I would venture AA has plans some day to grow as big as DL. In the next two years they will convert 18 757ERs to int'l service and launch a whole bunch of new routes, supposedly. Right now with 8 years of service at AA I am a relatively junior lineholder on the 767 in NY, holding Europe and S America lines - stuff I could never touch at any other base. It is also usually the base where CA upgrade comes the quickest. I say "quickest" tongue in cheek - right now the junior AA CA is about a 1991 hire!

Latest resources

Back