AA in LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you know about "Shrinkage"?

It is getting to be that time of year... ;)

Where you been, 75M? I'll give you a call this week.

On topic: AA is the most stagnant airline in the business right now (other than USAir East). There is virtually no upward movement and no growth planned. (Unless you count the company's veiled promise of growth with the signing of "a competitive contract".)

With over 1,000 people still on furlough, you have plenty of time to sharpen up those resumes. TC

So AA73 do you guys also have to cover LGA as well as EWR???

Yes and No,
If your equipment type has flying out of EWR (S80) then you cover all three. If your equipment type only covers one base (777) then all you have to worry about is JFK.

Considerations and facts:
1. Still almost 2000 AA pilots on furlough with no plans to recall. Some have been on furlough for over 7 years.
2. Current pilot contract has pay rates that equate to 50% of the purchasing power they had in 1991.
2. Very toxic labor-management relations.
3. The pilot's union is in contract talks with the company. They've been going 2 years with virtually no progress due to company stall techniques.
4. The company is essentially demanding that 100 seat flying and below goes to Eagle. If they get this, they will surely retire many many narrow body aircraft and transfer the flying to Eagle, and almost certainly result in lots of furloughs and seat downgrades.
4. Further, the company is demanding that the working pilots fly more days/hours and go to a preferential bidding system. Most people estimate that if management gets their way, there will be a permanent loss of a minimum of 1000 pilot jobs.
5. Career progression at AA is virtually non-existent. Very few upgrades and lots of 12-16 year copilots.

If you're having any delusions about American hiring anytime soon, have a strong cup of coffee and snap yourself out of it.

Before anyone else chips in, based on what I know, SFO is a small and fairly senior satellite base (like DCA I guess) that only has the S80 and 757/767. I believe one of the last recall classes had something like 8 S80 slots, but that's probably very unusual.

As for AA hiring, I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't start again till 2010-2012. Also, AMR may want this and that from APA, but what they'll actually get is a different story. No legacy has outsourced 100 seaters yet (thank god), and I doubt APA will allow themselves to be the first. It doesn't appear as though either side is ready to flinch.

With the pension numbers any senior pilot who doesn't retire by Nov 30th will be working for free for the rest of his career. Expect a lot of vacancies.

With the pension numbers any senior pilot who doesn't retire by Nov 30th will be working for free for the rest of his career. Expect a lot of vacancies.

Yup... in fact, it's been stated that some A-scalers will lose up to $500,000 at the stroke of midnight on Dec 1 if they stay....

What everyone else has said here is true, especially Draginass... tremendous stagnation, low morale, and one ticked off pilot group constantly being harassed by the flight dept. It's probably gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

I'd like to agree with you but I have a nagging hunch that there will be many who will claim "oh well, I can keep going until I'm 65...the market is sure to return."

It will only be that way because I am fairly close to recall myself. (Thanks for nothing, ALPA.)

stlflyguy

Considerations and facts:
4. The company is essentially demanding that 100 seat flying and below goes to Eagle. If they get this, they will surely retire many many narrow body aircraft and transfer the flying to Eagle, and almost certainly result in lots of furloughs and seat downgrades.

It seems to me that AA is in the best position to really be the trailblazers here since Eagle does about 90% of the RJ flying. They could make scope be a total non issue by making ALL flying done by an AA pilot by putting everyone on 1 list! Then AA could finally compete effectively within the 70-100 seat market in which they woefully lag behind the other carriers. The only thing I can think of is that the APA won't tolerate their military buddy new-hires(if hiring ever resumes again) having to fly an RJ until their seniority can hold what would be considered mainline equipment(737-MD80). The same type of attitude that resulted in all these pesky RJ's being flown by the bottom feeding regional carriers we have today.

If fences and seat locks were created to keep all those 15 to 20+ year Eagle guys from jumping ahead of the more recent AA hires of the late 90's and 2000-2001, I think in the long run it would be best for the majority involved. And I bet if you polled the Eagle pilot group, the vast majority wouldn't mind a staple anyway. The only ones who would gripe are these pathetic 15-20+ year Eagle Captains who had plenty of opportunity to move on to bigger and better during the hiring spree the legacies had back in 1998-2001, but instead, just sat on their collective a**es waiting for some presumed "flow-through". And besides, from what I have heard, 600 Eagle pilots are going to have AA numbers anyway.

Latest resources

Back