• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Review of Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I figured we'd start hearing from the old guard, surprised it took 9 posts to get a Noodles response. Don't know him, but since he,(I believe), was gone by the time I started here 3 years ago, the currency of his experience with the company is a bit lacking.

As to the first post, without going on the attack, I'd like to relate my experience here.

Three years this month, 2.5 of which have been as Captain, not because I'm anything special, but hiring was at a boom when I started. Sad that the state of the economy has thwarted Mr Beentheredoneit's progression, but what operator is doing much upgrading right now? How about the fact that Avantair hasn't done any sort of reduction, not even an awesome voluntary offer, ala Netjets.
My bills are paid, my check is on time, my OT appears every week, and I have a better QOL during my time off than I had at my regional job, or my prior, self-employed non-aviation career.
Putting one kid thru college, spending lots of quality time on my days off with kid #2.

Health insurance has not been a problem for me. Geographically, where I live seems very friendly with our provider, my dental is covered by my dentist of almost 20 yrs, my chiropractor appointments don't need a referral. It'd be nice to get Mr BTDI to have commented on a policy that he was familiar with, not one he declined.

Mx issues have never been a problem for me. If it's broke, write it up, and it'll get fixed. If people are feeling pressured, it hasn't been my experience. Genuine, broken problems have always been taken care of wherever I've been.

Sick days...never taken one except for an injury that kept me from flying for 2 tours. So, I have no experience with partial tour sicktime.

FO pay is being looked at right now. The company realizes that the non-upgrade issue at this time merits some kind of increase for FO's second year pay, and the Pilot's Advisory Committee is working on it. Again, who else in the aviation industry is discussing a pay raise right now? Not even the almighty NJ! (that brass ring is pretty awesome, though!)

FO flying live, and night. He's correct on those facts, but unfortunately, I don't think we're 2/3 to 1/3 live/repo, more like 55/45%. And, any FO who has a good standing streak of good landings can ask the captain flying with him to send a rec to the training office, and usually get released to fly live legs before the 225 mark. AS for night flight, it's important to keep PIC's night current, which is tricky in the summer. I had to go do 3 laps around the pattern in SUS last year on summer solstice, that was a late evening!

FO Blackberry, unfortunately not. But the company gives $25/mo to help with FO personal cell usage. (Wish we'd had that when I was an FO!)

All in all, I'm very happy here. I've found Avantair to be a gradually improving, getting-better-all-the-time operation. In my 3 years, I've seen the fleet more than double, go from a 8/6 to a 7/7 schedule, streamline the Start day and Vacation bidding process, and really develop a quality Flight Standards Procedures Guide and training dept. I have no plans to move on, and I'm really sorry to hear from someone who was obviously unhappy.
But, I guess I won't ever have to sit next to him for 7 days listening to the complaints! It really drags your week to hear someone whine non-stop, luckily I feel that the happy/unhappy ratio is closer to the 90/10 that Mr BTDI disputes.

I'm an Avantair Line Pilot, and I approve this message...

(Longest dern post I've ever done)

I figured we'd start hearing from the old guard, surprised it took 9 posts to get a Noodles response. Don't know him, but since he,(I believe), was gone by the time I started here 3 years ago, the currency of his experience with the company is a bit lacking.

As to the first post, without going on the attack, I'd like to relate my experience here.

Three years this month, 2.5 of which have been as Captain, not because I'm anything special, but hiring was at a boom when I started. Sad that the state of the economy has thwarted Mr Beentheredoneit's progression, but what operator is doing much upgrading right now? How about the fact that Avantair hasn't done any sort of reduction, not even an awesome voluntary offer, ala Netjets.
My bills are paid, my check is on time, my OT appears every week, and I have a better QOL during my time off than I had at my regional job, or my prior, self-employed non-aviation career.
Putting one kid thru college, spending lots of quality time on my days off with kid #2.

Health insurance has not been a problem for me. Geographically, where I live seems very friendly with our provider, my dental is covered by my dentist of almost 20 yrs, my chiropractor appointments don't need a referral. It'd be nice to get Mr BTDI to have commented on a policy that he was familiar with, not one he declined.

Mx issues have never been a problem for me. If it's broke, write it up, and it'll get fixed. If people are feeling pressured, it hasn't been my experience. Genuine, broken problems have always been taken care of wherever I've been.

Sick days...never taken one except for an injury that kept me from flying for 2 tours. So, I have no experience with partial tour sicktime.

FO pay is being looked at right now. The company realizes that the non-upgrade issue at this time merits some kind of increase for FO's second year pay, and the Pilot's Advisory Committee is working on it. Again, who else in the aviation industry is discussing a pay raise right now? Not even the almighty NJ! (that brass ring is pretty awesome, though!)

FO flying live, and night. He's correct on those facts, but unfortunately, I don't think we're 2/3 to 1/3 live/repo, more like 55/45%. And, any FO who has a good standing streak of good landings can ask the captain flying with him to send a rec to the training office, and usually get released to fly live legs before the 225 mark. AS for night flight, it's important to keep PIC's night current, which is tricky in the summer. I had to go do 3 laps around the pattern in SUS last year on summer solstice, that was a late evening!

FO Blackberry, unfortunately not. But the company gives $25/mo to help with FO personal cell usage. (Wish we'd had that when I was an FO!)

All in all, I'm very happy here. I've found Avantair to be a gradually improving, getting-better-all-the-time operation. In my 3 years, I've seen the fleet more than double, go from a 8/6 to a 7/7 schedule, streamline the Start day and Vacation bidding process, and really develop a quality Flight Standards Procedures Guide and training dept. I have no plans to move on, and I'm really sorry to hear from someone who was obviously unhappy.
But, I guess I won't ever have to sit next to him for 7 days listening to the complaints! It really drags your week to hear someone whine non-stop, luckily I feel that the happy/unhappy ratio is closer to the 90/10 that Mr BTDI disputes.

I'm an Avantair Line Pilot, and I approve this message...

(Longest dern post I've ever done)

Nice post Mainiac. Nice to be able to see both sides of a story so the audience can decide for themselves.

Maniac makes almost $70,000 per year. 2nd year FO's make $37,000. I would assume that maniac is happy. Being paid livable and "above Walmart" wage......he should stay there.

hyflyin, sorry if i sounded like i was stifling debate, that wasnt my intention, its just we have seen this so many times before. It’s the same MO:
pilot applies for job - pilot gets job - pilot doesn’t like job - pilot leaves job - pilot lashes out at previous job like it was the company’s fault the pilot wasn’t a fit.

I was just hoping to avoid the normal unfounded mudslinging that will follow. But hey, it’s a free country and this board is here to express yourself.

Golfkilo, I am a long time Avantair pilot, I have seen and been involved with the evolution of Avantair and I am obviously pro Avantair and get a bit ticked off when some one with a grudge tries to hurt the 500 some employees we have working here because of a poor decision on their part. In this economy, it’s just not necessary. It is not just pilots that read these boards as SteelersRule74 said.

I was surprised it took so long for noodles to pop up, and I fully expect that all the other past pilots who for whatever reason didn’t work out will also pop up and make the same claims they have been making since they left years ago.

Look, this guy (and we all know who he is) bought a screen name, composed a gripes list, put in enough half truths to make it look like he was being objective and then posted on two (or more) different pilot boards. He obviously has an axe to grind. And, like posters in the past that in part lead to the $10 rule on this board, he is going to try his best to make himself feel better. Good Luck, but my suggestion would be for him to move along.

I turned in my notice at my 1-year mark with the company. I can bartend 2 night per week and make more money than Avantair pays it’s FO’s, never being away from home, never missing a holiday or a kid’s birthday. It didn’t make financial sense for me personally to stay at Avantair.

You're not the first person to make this decision here or elsewhere & I'm sure it was not an easy one.
From my perspective, liking what you do is very important - I hope you find a good gig.
Good luck.

If Maniac is telling the truth:

Avantair is generating revenue on a mere 55% of its flights and the other 45% are empty flights. If he is telling you guys the truth, then that explains why the company hasn't made any money after 6 years. Maniac, I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out to everyone.

It's funny that when someone disagrees with your viewpoint towards Avantair that they are posting half-truths, and/or have an axe to grind. The times I have commented on this threads has been what my experience there was.

I can't count the number of times I was called and threatened by the CP or DO to do something that was clearly unsafe, or to fly a broken airplane. I still remember asking the instructor during flight training about calls/flows/procedures and being told "This aint no f'n airline, we don't do the ******************** here."

I refuse to work for a company that has a complete disregard for safety, ecourages their pilots to ignore the FAR's, and treated their people like dirt.

But hey, I work for a company now that is making money, hiring pilots, and buying airplanes. I make more now then I ever could there, plus I'm home every night. Oh, and I only work 8-10 days a month. I have no axe to grind, and could care less what happens there now.

I want to make sure people realize what they are getting into rather than all the fluff that is on here by some people.

Latest resources

Back