a question for resume writer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interview coaching and resume assistance

In 1992, after making the USPS rich by sending off forests of cover letters and resumes with few responses, getting nowhere at my four regional interviews and one cattle call, and getting nowhere thereafter with the regionals, I was a little frustrated. I had sent in a resume to a well-known, state-of-the-art flight school, and was called to interview. I wanted the job badly, so I decided to do it right.

I used Irv Jasinski to prepare for the interview. I had read his book, Airline Pilot Interviews: How You Can Succeed In Getting Hired, several times over. He coached me by phone a week before my interview. I attended the interview and was hired. The interview went nothing like Irv's prep, but perhaps knowing that I was prepared caused me to exhibit confidence sufficient to be hired.

Six months later, and out of work, I had lined up an interview with MAPD. I was in Northern California. I lined up some sim and time with Captain Bob Norris. He knew all about the regionals and Mesa in particular. We talked and he prepped me. I interviewed at Mesa and was hired. This interview also did not go quite like his preparation, but, again, believing that I was prepared perhaps gave me the confidence I needed at that time to succeed.

I have obtained other aviation jobs without interview preparation. I feel the best aviation interview I ever did was for my first full-time job, at ERAU. My point is that receiving interview coaching could make the difference between being hired or rejected, simply from the standpoint of the extra confidence it gives you.

I designed my own resumes by cribbing off Kit Darby's "industry standard" form. My later efforts were word-processed with the help of a student who was computer literate. I got responses, but my point here is while I feel my resume was fine perhaps if Kathy had been available fourteen years ago and she had designed my resume I might have had greater success.

Finally, writing proactively, I know some people will say, "Yeah, bobbysamd, there you go, the regionals didn't hire you because you sucked at your interviews. Don't go bitching about other issues." I've heard it already. I don't know that I sucked at my interviews (though Grady Reed clearly was put off by my RJ question, which was totally bogus) and neither do you. Moreover, my response rate was low compared to my paper output. That is a discussion for another day. In any event, maybe if I had been properly coached for my airline interviews the outcome would have been different. Here again, I was hired for pilot jobs without any interview coaching of any kind.

Last edited:
Re: Interview coaching and resume assistance

bobbysamd said:
In 1992, after making the USPS rich by sending off forests of cover letters and resumes with few responses, getting nowhere at my four regional interviews and one cattle call, and getting nowhere thereafter with the regionals, I was a little frustrated. I had sent in a resume to a well-known, state-of-the-art flight school, and was called to interview. I wanted the job badly, so I decided to do it right.

I used Irv Jasinski to prepare for the interview. I had read his book, Airline Pilot Interviews: How You Can Succeed In Getting Hired, several times over. He coached me by phone a week before my interview. I attended the interview and was hired. The interview went nothing like Irv's prep, but perhaps knowing that I was prepared caused me to exhibit confidence sufficient to be hired.

Six months later, and out of work, I had lined up an interview with MAPD. I was in Northern California. I lined up some sim and time with Captain Bob Norris. He knew all about the regionals and Mesa in particular. We talked and he prepped me. I interviewed at Mesa and was hired. This interview also did not go quite like his preparation, but, again, believing that I was prepared perhaps gave me the confidence I needed at that time to succeed.

I have obtained other aviation jobs without interview preparation. I feel the best aviation interview I ever did was for my first full-time job, at ERAU. My point is that receiving interview coaching could make the difference between being hired or rejected, simply from the standpoint of the extra confidence it gives you.

I designed my own resumes by cribbing off Kit Darby's "industry standard" form. My later efforts were word-processed with the help of a student who was computer literate. I got responses, but my point here is while I feel my resume was fine perhaps if Kathy had been available fourteen years ago and she had designed my resume I might have had greater success.

Finally, writing proactively, I know some people will say, "Yeah, bobbysamd, there you go, the regionals didn't hire you because you sucked at your interviews. Don't go bitching about other issues." I've heard it already. I don't know that I sucked at my interviews (though Grady Reed clearly was put off by my RJ question, which was totally bogus) and neither do you. Moreover, my response rate was low compared to my paper output. That is a discussion for another day. In any event, maybe if I had been properly coached for my airline interviews the outcome would have been different. Here again, I was hired for pilot jobs without any interview coaching of any kind.

Bobby,

I was around 14 years ago - just no internet to find me! (Geez, where was Al Gore when you needed him to invent this pipeline! :D )

When Caveman said that it is all about money for me - it really isn't about that - it is about helping people. Yes, I do need to make money to keep a roof over my head and feed my children. However, I love to see my clients succeed and have them call and email me to tell me of their success. (my testimonials on my website are from real people - not made up) It has been said that if you do what you love, the money will follow. I believe that statement to be true in my life. In addition, I have met some really wonderful people. Further, there probably is not a career I have not composed a resume for - I can tell you about Mine Surveying and how rock moves when you cut into it if you are interested!

I believe in giving back to my community - not everyone does. I do speaking engagements for Women's Shelters, Homeless Shelters, etc. I spend time in the disadvantaged schools teaching a program called "Choices" that is through the Boys and Girls Club. The program teaches them about budgeting, career choices, staying in school, etc.

I also do not get paid to do the Career Expos. It is rewarding to see people who come to the job fair to find a job, yet sit the whole day in my seminars to learn about the process. I have touched hundreds of people in the past two years since I have been doing those seminars and that gives me a good feeling. It is amazing the power of the words, "thank you."

However, I do have to balance that with making money. I do not have a full-time job to fall back on. I do not do this part time. So, that is why I take the time to know everything I can, because expertise is what people are really paying me for, in addition to the background I have in HR.

Anyhow, the baby is cranky from getting her shots today, so I have to go tend to her. She turned 11 months old today! :) Anyone want to come to the baby's 1st birthday bash? Tickets go fast when you are as cute as she is. Even the doctor was pinching her cheeks today!!

Kathy

"When Caveman said that it is all about money for me....."

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Hold on a minute. I said no such thing. I said that resume prep was your business and suggested that part of your business required you to sell potential clients on the need for your services. I never said, implied or indicated in any way that you were only in it for the money.

Last edited:
Kathy's services

Well I have read all of these posts, I can easily state that Kathy helped me get more interviews / interview offers after she rewrote my resume.

I am in my 40's with alot of very different experiences in and around aviation and aerospace, so it's very tough to bring out all the highlights of my professional life on a single sheet of paper, but Kathy was able to do so very effectively, gauged by the different responce rates.

Medical ended my flying days, so I switched a few years ago to the dispatch profession. This is a very tight and I mean "tight" profession to get a job in. There are only 2100 or so actively working dispatchers world wide.
TonyC said earlier that I might be comming across too rough or rigid in my interviews, but this is a perception I caused him see based on the tone of my posts here. I was really just venting here what I really feel about the whole hiring process in todays airlines.

Tony I do appreciate your comments though and I have been very cautious about my body language, my eye contact, good "happy to be here attitude" etc. in all of my latest interviews. I have always felt I did well in all but one interview I went on. Of course I'm still out here looking as well. ALL but one interview was based solely on non-technical questions, which tells me they were not worried about my ability to do the job, they want to know If I will fit in.

I have resisted the interview coaching side of things because I have always been a confident person, I have had the benefit of experiencing many of the things the HR questions have asked, but yet I have not been hired. I have the license, the education, and yet I'm still not hired.
So for me the next time I get an offer to interview,I am calling Kathy for the coaching lession, I should have already done it, Nothing I have done yet has got me hired.

Caveman, I understand what you said as well, I came from the old school as well, I have always been good with people and I felt now that I had the seasoning I would not need such help.

Up until the past 30 months I have never had trouble getting a job when I wanted too, but the economy, the leagize of the corporate world has changed, companies are looking for the people that will give them the most bang for the buck, someone that wont give them any employee relation headaches, not harrassment suits, work there butts off and do it for less spendable income than that of yester-year.

When I went to all these interviews, and they have been many, I have tryed to answer and reassure to them I was all of that and more, I have tried the up front honest routine, the politically correct routine, searched the interview gouges, made very good networking contacts, dressed to the 9's, and gone business casual, and it has not worked yet. The competition for dispatch jobs when measured applicants verses open positions is know to be higher than that fo any other aviation job. I have to believe that there are too many other factors out there affecting my hiring than just me, I could not possibly have had all bad interviews, so all I can do is keep trying.

Botom Line, Kathy gets my call the next time I'm set for an interview, it cant hurt and I have not been able to do any better on my own thus far.

Last edited:
RW,

Was out of town for a few days...miss me ? Check your PM's...I'll try to send you one.

Oh sure - you and dreamdate did not invite me and the kids along for the relaxing weekend - see how you are! :)

RW

Could you shed some light on corporate background checks. Whats involved...what does HR generally search for, red flags...etc.

Resumes

CAVEMAN,

I don't understand why they gang up on you. I agree with you.

Most services provide what the "client" is reluctant to do for themselves. They become reluctant for a variety of reasons. For example; anyone can sell a house. Most people, however, use a Realtor because of time constraints, limited buyer sources [business/industry contacts] and lack of confidence [unless you sell houses regularly it is a pretty daunting experience].

Of course, a Realtor is not going to boost your confidence encouraging you to market your own house, it detracts from his interests. We work in a closed industry. Employers know, with some exceptions, who is in the market at any given time. Most jobs are acquired through inside contacts.

A Realtor will take any opportunity to promote his own value attempting to make you believe his service is essential. It is one of the three marketing primary tools. What a Realtor really does is free you for other tasks.

bigr said:
RW

Could you shed some light on corporate background checks. Whats involved...what does HR generally search for, red flags...etc.

Hi BigR,

Please be a little more specific. Do you mean corporate flight department background checks or corporation background checks in general. I will try to answer as soon as possible. The baby has been sick, so my time is being split between her and working.

Kathy

Latest resources

Back