Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bafanguy said:
RW,

Thanks for your answer; you're obviously a peson who knows whereof she speaks. And since you handle more than aviation and have a basis for comparison, is there anything inherently different in a pilot inverview that would make the process different from the business/office candidate ? Obviously, pilots have a technical background that can be substantiated by sim checks, logbooks, licenses, FAA background checks, etc. This wouldn't be part of the process we're talking about here since if you're sitting in an interview, this other stuff must check out.

I still don't get the "mind games" angle. So you get some guy in there and fluster him with some "good-cop-bad-cop" game, does this really tell you anything about his performance in an airplane ?

This process may appear to tell an employer something, but I'd have my doubts about THAT. Some of the finest aviators I've ever seen in my 35 years of airline flying didn't have a particularly good "Dog & Pony Show" presentation.

The reasoning behind the good cop/bad cop scenario is to see how people react in a stressful situation, which is very telling. If I am hiring you for a position that requires the safety of people and their lives, then I want to know that no matter what I do, I cannot rattle you.

As far as interview processes being similar - yes they are. Most every employer does behavioral questions (ie., you suspect your Captain is drinking) and then situational questions (tell us about a time when). It is just modified based upon the type of job. Those questions are not the same at all. Each one requires a different type of answer. You would be amazed at how many people cannot think on their feet.

I had a client recently that had NO common sense. She was going for a Flight Attendant interview. I knew about half way through the interview prep that she was not going to make it past the initial screen. She simply could not think on her feet. So, I continued to prepare her for other types of interviews, really focusing on the situational type customer service questions, explaining to her the reasons behind the questions and helping her to formulate answers. She did not make it through the initial screen for a Flight Attendant, however, she did get a great job as a Retail Manager. So, all was not lost.

Kathy

RW,

Thanks again. I guess my reality doesn't jive with theirs, but at this point, it doesn't need to ( thank God ). I've seen too many "unflusterable ( is that a word ? )" aviators who wouldn't successfully dance the dance you describe so I'm a hard-sell on this whole interview philosophy you describe. And, in the typical pilot fashion, I'll put more faith in my real-world experience ( and those of countless other pilots better than I ) than their theories. But, as they control the outcome, it'll be done their way. " So be it" as we're fond of saying in some parts of the flybiz. Thanks again.

bafanguy said:
RW,

Thanks again. I guess my reality doesn't jive with theirs, but at this point, it doesn't need to ( thank God ). I've seen too many "unflusterable ( is that a word ? )" aviators who wouldn't successfully dance the dance you describe so I'm a hard-sell on this whole interview philosophy you describe. And, in the typical pilot fashion, I'll put more faith in my real-world experience ( and those of countless other pilots better than I ) than their theories. But, as they control the outcome, it'll be done their way. " So be it" as we're fond of saying in some parts of the flybiz. Thanks again.

I think real world experience is very valuable. But not everyone, as I said, can think on their feet. You would be truly amazed at some of the answers that came out of people when I was interviewing as a Recruiter. They simply did not understand the psychology behind the question.

I recently prepped a pilot for the Horizon interview. One question that he got from the gouge on aviationinterviews.com had to do with "cutting corners" in order to get something done. I saw the writing on the wall. What they were looking for was an answer that NOTHING should be done to jeopardize safety, as his life and the life of his passengers would be at stake if he did not follow procedures. (the answer we formulated though was not that - we came up with something much more detailed) When people cut corners they make mistakes. This could be easily applied to a manufacturing production environment. If someone were to cut corners, someone could end up with a grave injury.

Well, time to go back to the NASCAR race on TV while the baby is sleeping! :)

Kathy

K,

Thanks for being so generous with your expertise. This is a subject that has interested me since I started hearing some of these interview horror stories. But I never had access to anyone who knew the score. If you don't mind, can I ask another question?

This intense grilling and stump-the-dummy game seems to be a fairly new interview scheme ( the last 10-15 years ). I've only had two interviews in my life with the last being in 1972, so what do I know about anything ? But it seems to me that to start this line of interviewing, they must believe they end up with a somehow better product or else, why do it ? People have been hiring pilots for 80 years; have they been wrong in their priorities and methods all this time...and if so, what supports that thesis ?

The airplanes, aside from some technological upgrades, are essentially the same, the weather and airports are the same, the regulatory demands, the same. Most importantly, the demands and responsibilities on a crew are the same and cannot change due to the inherent nature of flying. So, to change their methodology now must indicate they need to hire a somehow "different" person and all of us who didn't dance like the organ-grinder's monkey just fell through the cracks and are luck we didn't end up in a smoking hole in the ground.

You're just the messenger and I can't take exception to anything you say...you're the expert. Anything you can tell me will be of great interest. Thansk

Stump the dummy and stress interviews

bafanguy said:
This intense grilling and stump-the-dummy game seems to be a fairly new interview scheme ( the last 10-15 years ). I've only had two interviews in my life with the last being in 1972, so what do I know about anything ? But it seems to me that to start this line of interviewing, they must believe they end up with a somehow better product or else, why do it ? People have been hiring pilots for 80 years; have they been wrong in their priorities and methods all this time...and if so, what supports that thesis ?
Thanks, always, to Resume Writer for her excellent comments and insights!

Stump-the-dummy and stress interviews are more common than you'd think. Perhaps my Mesa Airlines interview "experience" could have been either or both.

I interviewed with Grady Reed, the VP of Operations at Mesa, in 1990. At the end of that interview, he asked if I had any questions. I asked if Mesa was planning to acquire RJs. At that time, ERJs and CRJs were being developed. I had read about them in professional pilot magazines. His answer was a very gruff "no." He was obviously annoyed by my question. A few days later, I received a rejection letter. I felt I asked a legitimate question, as witnessed later by how Mesa became an ERJ and CRJ operator, and later still when it places 300-hour MAPD grads in the right seats of these aircraft! Lesson learned: Do not ask questions when invited to during interviews. You are being offered a gambit; do not accept it.

An early lawfirm interview could have been a form of stress interview. I had been brought in on relatively short notice (called early in the afternoon, told to come in later that afternoon) for a paralegal interview. I was first interviewed by the office manager, whom I liked immediately. Then, one partner interviewed me. Then, another. I was tested on the lawfirm's WordPerfect software. I was sent home. I sent my thank-you notes that evening to arrive the next day.

A few days later, I was brought in to interview with the principal partner. The office manager was present as the principal asks me all kinds of irrelevant, illegal questions. I was furious with the questioning, but still hoped to get an offer because I was looking for work.

Several days later, the office manager delivered my rejection phone call. I told her how annoyed I was at the partner's line of questioning. She agreed with me and stated that she had warned the partner not to ask such questions.

As it turns out, several days after that, I was offered a contract position at that lawfirm, which I accepted. Five weeks after that, I was offered, and accepted, permanent employment. I stayed at this lawfirm about four and a half years; I was ready to leave after two and a half of those years.

I have learned throughout the years that a company's interview process provides a glimpse into the company's culture and operation. My interview at that firm seemed to have been arranged with little forethought and structure. The lawfirm generally operated with little forethought and structure, and with much duplication of effort. It pays to heed what you observe at your interview.

Perhaps stress interviews have their place if a CEO is being hired or Donald Trump is doing the hiring. Not for an entry-level paralegal position. :(

Last edited:
Bobbysamd,

Man, there's gotta be a million stories like yours. Let me tell you how it was in 1972:

A morning at the shrink's office where I did hours of "would you rather...or...", showed 'em I could tell which gear D turns when gear A turns CCW, even took a vocabulary test !!

Talk to the shrink: He opens with " My, you're a tall one...", followed with, "Where'd you go to college ?", followed with, "You did a lot better on the vocabulary test than the others". I stare blankly, thinking I glad I have a flying job already.

Back to the airport and see the Emplyoment guy: He says, "Well, you have any questions ?" "Nope", says I.

Now to the flight ops guy ( he doesn't really want to look up from his desk, so I knock on the door frame ), I enter and remain standing. He says, "What ya been flyin" ?" "737", says I. He says, "OK, you'll be hearing from us in two weeks one way or the other." A month later I was sitting in class.

And this was in 1972...pilots were swarming like roaches...very well qualified pilots. This was THE airline to work for ( still is ).

So, tell me what's different now...

Last edited:
I can only take a guess of why this all started. First, there were only so many questions you could ask people for a long time, which really told you nothing about them as a person or how they reacted in situations. Second, as customer service and crew resource management started coming into play more, I think that started some of it. Also, it really depends on the corporate culture where you are applying as to the interview process, although more and more, they are using these type of scenarios to weed people out.

I can only assume that they think they are getting a better qualified person, who can get along with other people. I know at my previous airline, there were some individuals who are notorious for not getting along well with others in sand boxes. These are the same people that show up on everyone's "no fly" list. I think they are trying to eliminate these kind of people.

I will pose this question to some of my current HR friends and see if I can get an answer to their theory. I am going to be at a Career Expo speaking again on Tuesday, so I will have a captive audience. (there will be a certain airline in attendance, so I will make sure I ask them during the employer luncheon) I will report back my findings! :)

Kathy

K,

It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say. These folks affect people's lives in unalterable ways so you'd hope they have very logical, scientific reasons for the way they do things.

H.R. Koneheads

bafanguy said:
It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say. These folks affect people's lives in unalterable ways so you'd hope they have very logical, scientific reasons for the way they do things.
Seconded. Try "change people's lives."

I've been extremely critical of H.R. I would submit that most H.R. types lack the intelligence, wherewithal and, most of all, perception to think outside of the box and to give quality people a chance. It's easy to fit square pegs into square holes; fitting round pegs into square holes is the challenge. Most H.R. refuse that challenge. I understand that management puppeteers may be pulling their strings.

I'm delighted that Resume Writer has come to our side of the desk. I, too, will look forward to her report.

Resume Writer !!!

You won't believe the spooky coincidence after our previous discussion. I wanted to do something productive around the house and saw the yard needed mowing, and the following happened:

Me: Hey, Dream Date, the grass is pretty tall, how about I mow the yard.

Wife: Well, maybe. First, tell me about your worst yard-mowing mistake and how you resolved it.

Me: Well, uh, ah, OH!! Remember our dog, Tripod ? Well...

Wife: Thank you...that's fine. I'll be in touch.

Well, long story short, she hired the kid next door !! I was crushed because I really wanted to mow the yard and felt I was qualified as I'm typed on the Snapper AND Troy-Built and have mowed 23,000 yards.

But, she did that "good wife-bad wife" thing on me and I got flustered. I just didn't expect such grilling. I guess I don't think fast enough on my couch. The kid next door doesn't sit on his couch much and therefore thinks faster when he does even though he only has experience on an old 2-wheeled push mower.

Two of our neighbors have grass too so I'm going to ask them if I can mow THEIR yard. But, my confidence is crushed, and the kid next door has a "gouge", but won't give it to me.

What should I do ????

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back