a question for resume writer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigr

I recently went thru a series of interviews with a large corporation. actually it was 3 interviews. the 1st and 2nd interviews went awsome. then i got a call for a 3rd interview. this really surprised me as ive only had 2 interviews in the past. I felt sandbagged after the 3rd interview and i didn't get the job.

my question is...is it normal now in human resources departments to interview 3 times? It was the same questions (describe an incident when you had a conflict with a former surpervisor...blah blah blah) in each of the 3 interviews.

just wanted your incite.

Big R,

I have found that it is very normal for HR to conduct 3 interviews now since the market is so competitive. My questions to you would be these:

1. Who was interviewing you in each interview? Please break it down by title in each interview. (I do not need their names; just their titles)
2. Did you feel pretty shaken because you were not expecting a third interview?
3. When did they tell you that you did not get the job? Right away or a few days later?
4. Did you send a thank you for the interview letter after each interview? Sometimes this can make the difference between getting hired or not if the decision is not made right away.

The other issue to be considered might be this. The process may have been close between you and another candidate. If three interviews is not the normal process for this company, then that could be the reason why one was conducted.

Let me know the answers to the above questions and I will see if I can shed any more light on the situation.

Kathy

Thanks for your response.

Here is the answers to your questions.

1. The first interview was conducted by the person that would have been my direct supervisor. Also there was another person that I would have worked with. I hit it off with both, and they were impressed with my experience and what I could bring the company. In short I could have hit the ground running with minimal supervision.

The second interview was with 2 ladies from HR...asking the usual HR questions. Again it went well...we had a good raport.

The third interview was with the big boss of the entire facility, one of his deputies, and the HR supervisor. I knew i was in trouble when i saw their faces (pretty grim looking...although they weren't rude). I got the impression that they didn't want to be there. I felt flustered and it went down hill from there.

2. Yes I felt shaken because of the intimidating atmosphere at the 3rd interview I wasn't expecting (an office as big as my house), and the immediate lack of raport with the people there. Since it has been years since ive interviewed, I expected more of a congenial atmosphere...not the same questions. I felt the 3rd interview was a waste of time (mine and theres).

3. I received the letter of rejection about a week later.

4. I sent well thought out thank you notes after the first 2 interviews. I did not after the 3rd...again I felt sandbagged and that they had already made up there minds...it was my way of saying thanks but no thanks.

From the general impression I am getting, the third interview sounds like the classic good cop/bad cop interview. Some people do those to see how you react to other people in your environment that you may not have an immediate rapport with. I have had this happen to several clients at regional airlines. The people have come off as arrogant, rude, condescending, etc. They are designed to put you off balance to see how you handle yourself in various situations. The key is to see if you can find a common ground and turn it into your favor.

Let me give you an example of how this works in action. When I was an FA, I had a gate agent come down with the prelim paperwork and tell me that there was this really rude woman that was mad because she did not get seat 1D in First Class, but seat 1A instead. My initial reaction was, "oh great!" However, I turned my attitude around and decided that I was going to make her day. (or at least try) When she came down the jetway, I knew immediately who she was. Very gruff, shoving her stuff in the bin, etc. I was very nice to her, got her a drink - still no thawing.

She was dressed in a classic navy suit, with a pin stripe shirt and she had on a tie - except the tie was no ordinary tie. She had on a bow tie with little soldiers and teddy bears on it. (other than this tie, she looked like a woman who thinks she had to dress like a man to be taken seriously)

Just prior to takeoff, I whispered to my 2nd FA, "I bet you $5 that I have her turned around before the end of the flight." The flight was only PHX to BUR, so not a lot of time! :)

After we got to 10,000 ft., I looked at her and said, "Wow, that is the cutest tie I have ever seen!" Instant thaw! From that point on, we were like best buds and we even exchanged business cards at the end of the flight.

The reason I bring this example up is to illustrate that you can be in control of what happens. You let yourself get off balance and intimidated. When they saw that happening, the interview was over from the start.

I still would have sent a thank you note. You ended up breaking protocol, because you had already sent notes from the first two interviews. Even though you really did not want to work for them, you still need to do that. This business is a very small one, with people moving between airlines all the time. You never know when you may run into the same people again. So, I always tell my clients, in any situation, not to burn bridges, because you never know who will be standing guard at the next bridge you want to cross.

I hope that helps. I would certainly expect that in your interview process, if you have not met with the "head person" yet, be prepared to do so. Companies are trying to make the best decision possible for their business, so the odds of three interviews is very strong. Most companies do them all in one day and rotate the group of individuals between each of the three types of people you stated.

Kathy

?? for Resume Writer

RW,

This exchange re this poor guy's interview gives me the "willies". I retired from a major recently and clearly remember my interview process after 30+ years...and it doesn't faintly resemble what this guy or the copilots I flew at my carrier with describe. I know it's a tough market out there for job hunters ( I AM one...sort of ), but what the heck is going on when these kinds of mind games are played ? Do these employers actually think they're ending up with a better employee ? I could tell you a story about a friend who interviewed at UAL and was treated like DIRT over, of all things, the death of her husband !!! What the heck is going on in this industry ? Just because there's a large supply of pilots is no reason to treat people like this.

I've heard about the Cathay interview...they wouildn't even hire ME to sweep out the hangar based on what I hear from people.

Your thought ?

Re: ?? for Resume Writer

bafanguy said:
RW,

This exchange re this poor guy's interview gives me the "willies". I retired from a major recently and clearly remember my interview process after 30+ years...and it doesn't faintly resemble what this guy or the copilots I flew at my carrier with describe. I know it's a tough market out there for job hunters ( I AM one...sort of ), but what the heck is going on when these kinds of mind games are played ? Do these employers actually think they're ending up with a better employee ? I could tell you a story about a friend who interviewed at UAL and was treated like DIRT over, of all things, the death of her husband !!! What the heck is going on in this industry ? Just because there's a large supply of pilots is no reason to treat people like this.

I've heard about the Cathay interview...they wouildn't even hire ME to sweep out the hangar based on what I hear from people.

Your thought ?

It is not just the airlines where this is going on. I do resume writing and interview coaching for darn near every field you can imagine. It is happening everywhere. I guess maybe they are trying to "unseat" the individuals who interview well on the surface.

When I teach my interview seminars at the Career Expo for the job seekers, I am always describing the different kind of interviews that happen. What he described is what I formally call the "stress interview." But what he also described is the panel interview and the stakeholder interview.

It is so competitive out there right now that jobseekers better be on their toes. I try to prepare my clients for every possible scenario. Once people understand the "psychology" behind the interview questions and what they are "really" asking, then they have an advantage.

I am glad that the question was asked so that others can hopefully gain some benefit from the answers I have provided.
:)

Kathy

Timebuilder said:
Great story, Kathy.

You sound like a Dale Carnegie grad!!

Nope, just a graduate from life training and YEARS of customer service! :)

Kathy

RW,

Thanks for your answer; you're obviously a peson who knows whereof she speaks. And since you handle more than aviation and have a basis for comparison, is there anything inherently different in a pilot interview that would make the process different from the business/office candidate ? Obviously, pilots have a technical background that can be substantiated by sim checks, logbooks, licenses, FAA background checks, etc. This wouldn't be part of the process we're talking about here since if you're sitting in an interview, this other stuff must check out.

I still don't get the "mind games" angle. So you get some guy in there and fluster him with some "good-cop-bad-cop" game, does this really tell you anything about his performance in an airplane ?

This process may appear to tell an employer something, but I'd have my doubts about THAT. Some of the finest aviators I've ever seen in my 35 years of airline flying didn't have a particularly good "Dog & Pony Show" presentation.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Resume Writer

Nope, just a graduate from life training and YEARS of customer service!

Hi...

That seems to be what Dale Carnegie attempts to instill the client. Unfortunately, most people don't always learn from life lessons and subsequently need a motivational speaker to help them see what they should have already learned. Keep up the great work, Kathy...and thank you.

Regards

Latest resources

Back