Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P-F-M

bafanguy said:
Two of our neighbors have grass too so I'm going to ask them if I can mow THEIR yard. But, my confidence is crushed, and the kid next door has a "gouge", but won't give it to me.

What should I do ????
Some would suggest P-F-M (pay-for-mowing). I refuse to make such suggestions.

Instead, I recommend that you apply to the people on the next block. All they care about is having their lawn mowed. That will build your confidence and experience. Get LORs from them. I would then bypass your neighbors and send apps to your local country clubs and golf courses. Get jobs there, and you will have surely shown what those stress interviewers can do with their "jobs."

Good luck with your plans.

bafanguy said:
Resume Writer !!!

You won't believe the spooky coincidence after our previous discussion. I wanted to do something productive around the house and saw the yard needed mowing, and the following happened:

Me: Hey, Dream Date, the grass is pretty tall, how about I mow the yard.

Wife: Well, maybe. First, tell me about your worst yard-mowing mistake and how you resolved it.

Me: Well, uh, ah, OH!! Remember our dog, Tripod ? Well...

Wife: Thank you...that's fine. I'll be in touch.

Well, long story short, she hired the kid next door !! I was crushed because I really wanted to mow the yard and felt I was qualified as I'm typed on the Snapper AND Troy-Built and have mowed 23,000 yards.

But, she did that "good wife-bad wife" thing on me and I got flustered. I just didn't expect such grilling. I guess I don't think fast enough on my couch. The kid next door doesn't sit on his couch much and therefore thinks faster when he does even though he only has experience on an old 2-wheeled push mower.

Two of our neighbors have grass too so I'm going to ask them if I can mow THEIR yard. But, my confidence is crushed, and the kid next door has a "gouge", but won't give it to me.

What should I do ????

You are too funny!

bafanguy said:
So, tell me what's different now...

One thing I've seen change over the last several years is the "fear" of government and/or lawyers. My company is paranoid of any potential government and/or lawyer action that may arise due to perceived injustices/wrongs in the hiring process. As a result, we (try to) do everything the same. Feel like a robot at times. It is sad to see our HR department get so "giddy" over some new rule or regulation to be in compliance with. Such a defensive way of doing business.

Re: P-F-M

bobbysamd said:
Some would suggest P-F-M (pay-for-mowing). I refuse to make such suggestions.

Instead, I recommend that you apply to the people on the next block. All they care about is having their lawn mowed. That will build your confidence and experience. Get LORs from them. I would then bypass your neighbors and send apps to your local country clubs and golf courses. Get jobs there, and you will have surely shown what those stress interviewers can do with their "jobs."

Good luck with your plans.

OR...

You and two friends can go out and rent a John Deere with a 48" deck. Each friend can stand on the deck, and all three of you can gain MIC (mower in command) time. Maybe the groundskeeper over at the coutry club will let you do some free mowing, in order to gain some multi-reel mower time. He may even help you get your aerator endorsement.

iNTERVIEWS

I have been the interview king for about 2 years, its amazing how different the questions are, but all try to place you in the same senerio of getting along, stressful situations, how did you handel it, tell me when's etc....

there is no ryme or reason to the questions, Resume Writer is correct about the different cultures. You would need to find out from an insider what has happened at a company to know where they are coming from, or what people they are trying to avoid hiring. It hit an miss and very tough to figure out, so I have developed my own standards and keep it simple, and honest. It has not got me hired, but I'm not going to plan mind games with these people anymore either.

I would like them to check my work references with my former bosses, thats where the real deal is, even though everyone is afraid to get sued if they say something wrong, we al know the managers all talk to each other...Why make this a game with peoples careers on the line, there incomes? I beleive the questions a company askes me or the way they treat me is an inside look into what we should expect if we were an employee.
I was recently asked if I was interviewing them as well, I said you bet! It's a 2-way street and I want to be sure I want to work for you as well.

The industry has changed, I think for the worse, way worse. They hate to see work place problems which usually revolves around head games somewhere, but yet they start the whole relationship off with head games....It sucks! I love aviation and I am good at what I do, but I'll be darned if I'm going to play teenager head games to get an aviation job.

That's my opinion, and I could be wrong but thats the way I feel about the new world of aviation HR departments.:mad:

Standards

befanguy,

Because there are some many different reasons for the way a company interviews, I felt the only way I could prepare for an interview was to develope my own standard answers based on ME and the way I am built. If they dont want an honest answer dont ask me. I have read many books on interviews, and it just makes me sick to try to remember crap that just is not me. No one is perfect, not even HR. This way I dont have to be somthing I'm not, say something that I read and did not feel, or put up false fronts.

I would have thought they would appreciate this from people that those that can rehearse something they were told to say? But this is not the case.

I too am part of the "perpetual day off club", I am not a trying to return to a pilot job, but to a dispatch position. Because these are union positions in most cases, they are entry level pay and work. I am willing at a late age to start over, but they just got to give us a break if they want real people with real experience, not just the school taught, interview preped newbie students of the game.

But folks like us are probably the ones they want to see go away, you know the people that can think independantly, leaders, work out-side the box....who knows, I'm just waiting....

One last thing, how about the interviews you go on and never hear another word from? Not a thank you, kiss my a$$, no way, nothing....his still goes on today as well.

Ok I'm ready for the usual "working Dispatchers" to flamme me...go ahead, I'm bent over, just be gental....

:D

But folks like us are probably the ones they want to see go away, you know the people that can think independantly, leaders, work out-side the box....who knows, I'm just waiting....

I'm not waiting.

RVSM410,

You're right in what you say. And your qualifications are excellent; it's hard to believe that, unless you're an old f@rt like me, that you won't be major bait when this thing turns around...and it will if history tells anything.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from Resume Writer. She appears to be the one who can shed some light on this. After all, she PROMISED to take all this to her contacts at some upcoming meeting of The Evil HR Confederacy and get the real answer. Which, of course, we'll all immediately heap tons of quano on in this forum...and I want to be first 'cuz I'm the oldest !!!

This whole issue of who gets hired vs who doesn't has been, in my experience, one of those things pilots always wonder about...kinda like how did they build those pyramids anyway ? Well, now we have Resume Writer, our secret agent on the inside. She's going to become our mole and report back to us.

I'm not signing off of this thing until she files her report.

bafanguy said:
RVSM410,

You're right in what you say. And your qualifications are excellent; it's hard to believe that, unless you're an old f@rt like me, that you won't be major bait when this thing turns around...and it will if history tells anything.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from Resume Writer. She appears to be the one who can shed some light on this. After all, she PROMISED to take all this to her contacts at some upcoming meeting of The Evil HR Confederacy and get the real answer. Which, of course, we'll all immediately heap tons of quano on in this forum...and I want to be first 'cuz I'm the oldest !!!

This whole issue of who gets hired vs who doesn't has been, in my experience, one of those things pilots always wonder about...kinda like how did they build those pyramids anyway ? Well, now we have Resume Writer, our secret agent on the inside. She's going to become our mole and report back to us.

I'm not signing off of this thing until she files her report.

Secret Agent R.W. Here...:D

I almost changed the title under my daughter's picture to "the mole," but instead, I think she is looking for the Easter Bunny! :D

I already have a plan in operation...I will report back at 1900 Tuesday with the info...

Kathy

RW,

I'd marry you, but Dream Date hates it when I marry other women.

Latest resources

Back