• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

a question for resume writer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Square Pegs for Square Holes. Others need not apply.

rvsm410 said:
[F]olks like us are probably the ones they want to see go away, you know the people that can think independantly, leaders, work out-side the box....
It's not that at all. They have a profile and have enough people applying who match the profile. It would be far harder for them to try to qualify someone who doesn't quite fit the profile but offers other qualities and who might turn out to be a higher-quality employee. Any chimpanzee can fit square pegs into square holes.
One last thing, how about the interviews you go on and never hear another word from? Not a thank you, kiss my a$$, no way, nothing....
Here's a link to a recent thread that addressed that issue.

Last edited:
R W the Mole!!

By the way, Kathy was instrumental in re-working my resume, I owe alot to her help. I have gained several interviews as a direct result of her work. I cant blame her for the outcome of the interviews at all.

Like I have said above, I have my own standards I interview with, its called just plain old honesty,answer the question if I have an answer, if I dont, I say I dont know but can find out, if I have not had that experience, then I say so....

If anyone has any suggestions or secret HR passwords, I'm all ears. I dont like waiting, and I want to work for a top rate SJA airline where I can live out my working years in peace.

Now go get um' Kathy! find the secret code so us old farts can get a job!

:D

bafanguy said:
RW,

I'd marry you, but Dream Date hates it when I marry other women.

Ah, that's ok, just tell me how cute my daughter is! :) She was quite the riot in church today. Thank goodness for the babyroom!

Kathy

Re: R W the Mole!!

rvsm410 said:
By the way, Kathy was instrumental in re-working my resume, I owe alot to her help. I have gained several interviews as a direct result of her work. I cant blame her for the outcome of the interviews at all.

Like I have said above, I have my own standards I interview with, its called just plain old honesty,answer the question if I have an answer, if I dont, I say I dont know but can find out, if I have not had that experience, then I say so....

If anyone has any suggestions or secret HR passwords, I'm all ears. I dont like waiting, and I want to work for a top rate SJA airline where I can live out my working years in peace.

Now go get um' Kathy! find the secret code so us old farts can get a job!

:D

Thanks for the nice comments RV!

Kathy

bobbysamd,

The problem I have is with the word "profile". This is where I feel the HR types fall apart. They think they know what a "profile" needs to be, but these office types haven't spend much of their life ( they MAY be a pilot, but my statement still stands ) with an airplane strapped to their butts; they haven't seen what their implementation of a "profile" means when they send their "profiles" out to do what they hired them to do.

Make no mistake: these folks have the power to make their "profiles' happen. The question is: do they know what they are creating ?

Beware the profile.

RW...that kid is so cute there outta be a law.

bafanguy said:
bobbysamd,

The problem I have is with the word "profile". This is where I feel the HR types fall apart. They think they know what a "profile" needs to be, but these office types haven't spend much of their life ( they MAY be a pilot, but my statement still stands ) with an airplane strapped to their butts; they haven't seen what their implementation of a "profile" means when they send their "profiles" out to do what they hired them to do.

Make no mistake: these folks have the power to make their "profiles' happen. The question is: do they know what they are creating ?

Beware the profile.

RW...that kid is so cute there outta be a law.

I could see the law now - No really cute babies within a mile of an airplane! :D

I agree that not all the time do the profiles work. Some of the FA's and Pilots I worked with were questionable. (I am not talking about technical abilities of the pilots - that was never a question, just personalities) But, overall, I think it does weed out some people that would not work out.

Hence, my example of the woman I prepped for the FA interview. There is no way I would have wanted to work with her on a flight. I cannot tell you how many times I worked with people that had no clue what to do in medical emergencies. When someone gets sick at 37,000 ft., it becomes a true team effort. But I digress.

Anyway, I will do what I can to find out information. Sometimes when it comes from someone that is not "applying" the information flows more freely.

Kathy

WR,

Well, the kid is so cute that we should stop the show right here.

I am hampered by my total inability to say what I mean. NOBODY knows what to do at FL370 when someone gets sick. There is no friggin' interview process that will tell you a person can deal with THAT. The airline HAS to teach it to their people. What person walking the streets right now knows how to handle THAT ?? Humans were not meant to fly... You know how I learned ?? By having a few too many of them.

If you'd grilled me on the qualities it takes to deal with a heart attack at 370 in 1972, I'd be sweeping out the hangar right now.

I've tried to get Dream Date, the 35+ year F/A to enter the fray, but she's way too smart for that.

bafanguy said:
WR,

Well, the kid is so cute that we should stop the show right here.

I am hampered by my total inability to say what I mean. NOBODY knows what to do at FL370 when someone gets sick. There is no friggin' interview process that will tell you a person can deal with THAT. The airline HAS to teach it to their people. What person walking the streets right now knows how to handle THAT ?? Humans were not meant to fly... You know how I learned ?? By having a few too many of them.

If you'd grilled me on the qualities it takes to deal with a heart attack at 370 in 1972, I'd be sweeping out the hangar right now.

I've tried to get Dream Date, the 35+ year F/A to enter the fray, but she's way too smart for that.

I know that they teach all of us how to deal with emergencies. My point was hoping that I could have someone onboard (FA) that knows how to think on their feet. I flew with one lady (2nd FA) who came up to tell me that a woman was feeling "faint" in the main cabin. The first question I asked was "How faint?" Her response? "Oh, I am just going to get her a cool cloth." I said, "Fine, I will be back in a minute."

This woman was not "faint," she was slumped over in the aisle!! I quickly assessed her, told the 2nd FA to stay with her, called the 3rd FA and told her to get the O2, alerted the FD and asked for a Medlink patch and got the forms out for the medical info out of the EMK. After some O2, the woman came back from being unconscious and I found out she was on high blood pressure meds. Got all her vitals and talked to the ER doctor through Medlink. The flight deck had set me up with a headset to talk to the Dr. myself, instead of the relay between Me - FO - Dr - FO - Me. The pilots were so cute. When I got off the Medlink patch, they said, "Wow, that was great, you talked to them in their language." I said, "Thanks, I have just watched one too many episodes of ER!" :D

The point of this story is this: This woman would have been in deep trouble if she only had to deal with our 2nd FA. That is not meaning to be rude - but truly, she had no idea what to do. She went through the same training I did. But I think that common sense was lacking. I think some of the questions that are asked are designed to see if people can think on their feet. BTW, the 2nd FA was hired LONG before the situational interview questions were asked.

Anyway, I am going to enjoy the rest of my Easter Holiday with my little pumpkin girl. I will report back on Tuesday.

Kathy

TonyC said:
She looks absolutely delicious!

Like her Mom, of course. :)

But Tony, you are biased! :) You're my bud!!

Kathy

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back