a MAJOR announcement @ SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
scared -- interviewing

Thanks for al l the info that you all have posted. I will be interviewing this month and, I am scared as to what is going to happen over there. How much growth are we going to see at SKYWEST? Does it have the chance of becoming an ACA -- where, all the hiring is stopped over night and the people in the pool are all just wondering what is going on? I understand that ACA is now going to use the J41 people for the new jet deliveries and not put the new hires into training. It is all bothersome and I am very glad to have an interview with SWYWEST. I would just like to know what is going on out there and gather some info from you guys that are on the line and that are in the know. I can't wait to interview and see what happens, but I am scared to death as well. Any ideas or thoughts?

waiting to interview in FEB...

Well hell, if the company has so much money to burn, maybe they can pay the crews while they are in training?!

If the 717 rumor is true, coupled with the Airtran wish for further 717's and Long Beach could be in for a shock as the 717 production line will have to shake the rust off and start pumping out the airplanes....

717 is a much better aircraft for the short haul market than the 737 is.

DAL replacing SKYWE at SLC

It would be cost prohibitive for Delta to replace Skywest at SLC. Main reason being we own our gates and do not lease them from Delta. You can park 'em at the mainline gates, but then you have to reduce the mainline flights. Also the airport authority has proposed an expansion to accomodate even more rj's (717's?) and asked Delta to pony up some financing, yet they declined.

According to the pamphlet put out by Delta Mgmt. (picked it up in DFW a few months back) I think it is more likely that they will use the 70 seat rj's of Comair/ASA to replace main line flights out east. Much better yields than the paltry western markets. Delta has been scaling back ops out west ever since they bought Western. Add to that the almost inevitable demise of United (at least in any recognizable form), and there would be a tremendous void in air travel west of the Rockies.

Our CEO has always, always, said he sees no point in a 70 seat plane when you can get a 90-100 seat for virtually the same operating cost. Also, the CFO is virtually foaming at the mouth to get bigger planes and mix it up with the big boys. However, the board of directors is very conservative and usually only makes a bold move when cornered.

Eating my popcorn, glued to my seat and watchin' the show.

No, and there in lies the problem. Nothing money can't take care of though. I should imagine that along with all the other stand alone requirements are being addressed at world headquarters in SGU. Or I should say I hope they are. No desire to see UA go under, but the prudent thing to do is hope for the best and plan for the worst. Striking out on our own scares me. Would much rather see us grow with UA as a partner. I seem to be in the minority, many are excited at the prospects.

There are so many rumors floating around recently that it's hard to keep them all straight. For now all we can do is hope that United gets their ducks in a row, Delta keeps us in the DCI family, and that SGU is planning for the worst. I'm not gonna get too worried about 70-130 seaters until I see it parked on the ramp broken. Then I'll believe the rumors.

Hawkowl88,

Well, those 70 seat RJ's currently have big problems with their center fuel tanks. Apparently there is an AD out for them, and that restricts the amount of fuel to be put in them, which limit's their range greatly. Delta wants them to fly from DCA-DFW etc, and they can't make it in the headwinds. OOOPS. And I read on another forum that it will take a long time to fix them all. That really is a debacle. And, ASA and Comair are running out of gate space--especially in ATL. The CVG terminal is full also, so they have to go somewhere. I am sure the B-concourse can house some RJ's, and there might be more space available if UAL doesn't make it. I think Skywest would sell a lot of the gates in Salt Lake City if you had no Delta feed. You could try to compete---with ASA/Comair and Delta, but might lose. Now, I think you have a great product and don't think it would happen any time soon, but look at the facts. Delta left you with a 6 month severance notice possibility---and ASA/Comair are getting tons of RJ's. They are running out of space in ATL and CVG. And remember---DCI can only legally fly 43% of our flying. IF they try to shrink mainline, they will shrink the % of DCI flying also. I think it is smart that Skywest gets 717's. If UAL does bite the dust, Skywest will be there to pick up the passengers. I do not think that Skywest will ever go away---they have a better chance at becoming bigger. But, the Delta side of the equation is questionable.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool:

Well, I'm still waiting for Skywest to support us here at ACA on what United has in store for United Express carriers...if we aren't getting paid, you can bet Skywest isn't far behind...I hope to see all United Express carriers "United" (no pun intended) on this issue.

Also, if Delta is so pleased with Skywest, then why do I see multitudes of Comair deadheads headed into SLC? It's only a matter of time before Delta's division all the bases is complete.

As for Hotwing's comment about ACA, our payscale and work rules speak for itself.

1. commuter clause included in contract
2. no junior manning
3. see #2
4. training pay
5. 2nd year F/O pay approx. $35/hr

Currently, both Skywest and ACA are very good companies to work for...hopefully the United situation will stabilize and both our organizations will benefit.

House

to interview or not to interview?

Well -- okay, with all this news and uncertain prospects, should one take the chance right now?

Hell yes take the chance. Suppose you get hired, UAL pulls through, and SKW puts on a bigger type. All of a sudden you're at one of the strongest regionals in the country with a possible chance to fly bigger iron. Worse comes to worst by the time you end up furloughed the war will be over, the economy will likely turn up, and there will be other oppurtunities. Don't pass up what might be the oppurtunity of a lifetime.

Latest resources

Back