• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

a MAJOR announcement @ SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Somehow I don't think DALPA's contract enforcably applies to any aspect of SkyWest's affairs which doesn't directly pertain to DCI flying.

VFR on Top said:
Somehow I don't think DALPA's contract enforcably applies to any aspect of SkyWest's affairs which doesn't directly pertain to DCI flying.

The DALPA contract applies to everyone that flies DAL code. That means ASA, Comair, ACA, Skywest, and Chit. The 70 seat RJs at ASA and Comair are there because DAL made a deal with DALPA. The code share with CO and NWA is allowed because of a deal between DAL and DALPA.

If Skywest wants to fly aircraft larger than is presently allowed by the DAL PWA, then they will not be able to fly DAL code unless DAL makes a deal with DALPA. DALPA scope controls all flying by DAL, including codeshare.

It must be a slow news day for all of this excitement over someones rumor of an alleged "major" announcement. I'll just wait for the allegations, rumors, and innuendos to be substantiated bofore adding my concise and thoughtful insights.

FDJ,

Not trying to flame, but how does the DALPA scope clause pertain to the Eagle 70 seaters? As I'm sure you know, Eagle codeshares for Delta out on the west coast with the SAABs, and they have the CRJ-700's in their fleet elsewhere. Are there certain exceptions for this flying? Also, how will it pertain to the new NWA and Continental code share b/c they certainly fly larger airplanes? Where are the lines drawn??

Thanks
Mookie

The way our contract reads is that Delta can codeshare with whomever they want as long as that airline only operates planes with 70 seats or fewer (with certain Block hour restrictions). If they want to codeshare with any domestic airline with any airplanes in their fleet larger than 70 seats, they need the permission of DALPA. That is why we needed to enter negotiations before the NWA/CAL codeshare was approved, mgt needed our permission.

Since Eagle does not have anything over 70 seats, mgt did not need our permission.

Hope this helps.

FDJ
Please answer my question as to the why. Why does it bother/scare DALPA that they had to have this written into the contract? You have dodged the issue. Don't you see it as unfare to SkyWest? Its essentially none of your Buisness what SkyWest does for UA on the West Coast, short of any coherent answer you can give. Or will it be the usual, because its in the contract. As to SkyWest getting the larger jets, I don't know if it will happen. I do know however they are planning on the possibility. I further know they still value the D contract. I would find it hard to fathom that they would spend this much time and effort to consider it if it was so iron clad as you pronounce. UA ALPA had an iron clad , industry leading contract just a short time ago.

I was jumpseating on Skywest recently, and the Capt (who was VERY senior) said that Boeing had been on property with an aircraft (don't remember if he said it was the 717 or the 737-500), talking w/Skywest mgmt. He said they are considering getting either the 717 or the 737-500 in order to service their own city pairs. He said, for example, that the cities of Eugene, OR and San Jose, CA approached Skywest to begin service between their cities, and that they had to turn it down because DAL said "No!" He stated that Skywest was considering cancelling code share with both DAL and UAL and doing their own thing, and if they happened to connect a DAL or UAL pax, all the better.

Could be an interesting time to be at Skywest...

Thought I would ask: is Skywest owned by itself or is it owned by a holding company? (For example, ACAI owns ACA and AC Jet) If Delta is contracted with SkyWest but the holding company owns SkyWest and as yet unnamed subsidary, could the other subsidary fly aircraft bigger than 70 seats? And if SkyWest's contract is like ours, it says the ACAI - not ACA - has to use pilots on our seniority list - keeps management from breaking us up. At any rate, interesting times...

If anyone gets a contract for 70 seaters to be flown for United, I think that it will be Mesa. I don't see how any other company can go lower than them on the contract bid.

Mayday.

Latest resources

Back