Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
350DRIVER said:
Whirlwind,

I think Delta has many many loyal and faithful passengers that would never jump ship regardless of how much they can save by heading over to the "greyhound" of the sky. If you want "class" and top notch service then you fly Delta, if you want to join a cattle heard, save money, eat peanuts, and make five stops to get to where you want to go to then SWA would be more than happy to take your money. This is like comparing the Mercedes to a Cavalier, which one would you rather have if money is no object? I know I would much prefer the better product and not the cheaper no frills car. I don't think that you are going to see DL going anywhere anytime soon, too many people enjoy them, the product, and the good service that they provide.

I disagree in the sense that these are two completely different animals and in no way will DL swoop to the level of SWA, they have too much pride and class as a company to do so. I think Delta will refine it's product, get their flying back, improve on different areas, cut costs, etc, and once again be back to doing what made them so successful in the first place. They have a superior product but I truly believe that when they started to match fares and routes, etc, that is what got them into trouble, agreed. They need to stick to doing what they did so well... The boss is no moron and I am sure he has a plan that is going to work... I would in no way count DL out just quite yet. I do think they can make it happen but I also do agree with you that they must ditch this direct competition with the SWA's of the industry.
There's nothing classy about flying Delta anymore whether it's an RJ or mainline. The service is barebones at best. People don't choose DL because it's classy...they choose DL either because it's convenient or it's cheap. Class left DL about ten years ago.

Here's one article I found about DL's "superior" product...somehow I couldn't find one article about DL's superior service:

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/elliott/155.asp

"According to those of you who contacted me, it's more a combination of poor service and cramped flying conditions that puts Delta over the top. (Coincidentally, Delta recently admitted that its service had slipped and promised to do better; so hopefully this carrier will work its way off this list.)"

Thanks from JetBlue

Ben -- On behalf of all of us at JetBlue, I want to thank you for flying us and for your compliments on the experience. There are lots of people working very hard to provide the best possible customer experience at very reasonable prices. Your satisfaction and continued patronage mean a lot to us.

I understand your dilemma with Delta and the fact that we do not serve ATL, or many of the places you may want to go. That's just part of being a new airline--we can't do everything overnight. I do believe the lower ticket prices to LAX are a remnant of our ATL-LGB service. When Air Tran added the contracted A-320s to the route we knew they would be there to keep Delta honest with their ticket prices.

For those who think higher ticket prices are the way to make money in this industry, you are living in the past. That old paradigm is dead. As long as you and your management continue to believe that, you will never be successful. The key to success is providing tickets at a price that will STIMULATE the market and fill your aircraft.

Thanks again for your comments. Rest assured that we are not resting on our laurels. We are continuously looking for ways to improve the experience. We also know that we are only as good as our last flight and we have to continue to maintain the same high standards to keep you as a customer.

I look forward to having you fly JetBlue again. Next time, please stick your head in the cockpit and say “hi” on your way in. We’ll be there to say “Thank you for flying JetBlue” as you leave.

dgs said:
For those who think higher ticket prices are the way to make money in this industry, you are living in the past. That old paradigm is dead. As long as you and your management continue to believe that, you will never be successful. The key to success is providing tickets at a price that will STIMULATE the market and fill your aircraft.
The problem with that logic is that it is just a tad too close to the old adage, "we lose money on every sale, but we'll make it up in volume".

You can fill airplanes all day long, but if you do it at a price below cost, it just doesn't matter.

JetBlue has very favorable terms on its aircraft leases right now and they do not have 20 year employees to look after. It will be interesting to see how well they do after the 5 year point and some of those costs start kicking in.

Delta, American, United, etc. need to start making some money, or the whole issue will be moot.

JetBlue has very favorable terms on its aircraft leases right now and they do not have 20 year employees to look after. It will be interesting to see how well they do after the 5 year point and some of those costs start kicking in.
I was waiting for someone to make light of this.... JB has done wonderful so far but wait till they start having to pay.

nor are they paying their employees anywhere near DL wages. Just for kicks compare DL pilot pay to that of JB, big big difference..

3 5 0

I still can't figure out why so many people are disliking RJs. What is wrong with them. They help to increase frequency for business travels, no middle seats, and faster deplane times. If you want to get a movie and a meal those typically are only found on long distance flights anyway. What kind of service are you looking for on flights 2 hours or less. I frankly can't tell the difference between flying on an RJ or any mainline plane on these short flights.

350DRIVER said:
I was waiting for someone to make light of this.... JB has done wonderful so far but wait till they start having to pay.
JB will also start to experience higher labor costs in the future as people build up time with the company.

nor are they paying their employees anywhere near DL wages. Just for kicks compare DL pilot pay to that of JB, big big difference..
The thing is, it is Delta's problem to solve.

Yield Management

Over the years, the yield management systems developed by the airlines overcame a deteriorating margin as more and more customers were looking for and finding discounted tickets.

It became a science to get both the business customer and the vacationing family all on the same plane paying extremely different prices for the same product.

While the airlines thought it cool, the business people did not as they were paying through the nose for tickets while Joe and his family were annoying them at a deeply discounted ticket/

I have probably over 700,000 miles on Delta and for years and years they and Piedmont were two of my favorite airlines to fly. Southern hospitatlity if you will. Of course, US managed to screw up the Piedmont airline and Delta tried vanely to get everyone to Atlanta.

Anyone who does not think that the product has not gone south is not looking. Since 9/11, I have flown Air Tran, America West, Southwest, Delta, and American. They all left on time, arrived on time, were reasonably full. Other than being able to see the seating chart and getting what I want on Delta's web site, the service was pretty much the same.

We have not discussed it much, but the death of travel agents is indicative of the travel trends as much as anything. They made their money off expensive tickets, and the web made their knowledge obsolete.

The American traveling public made it known before now that they were not happy with the fare, it has just taken the industry longer to accept it because yield management and other efficiencies masked what was happening.

ATL2CDG said:
Whoopty-freakin'-do. Airlines carry thousands of passenger everyday, thousands of CEOs and VPs. Thousands of Hollywood starlets, government higher-ups and old money debutantes. I don't care what you do or how much money your company handles. Everyone on my plane is worthy of the same respect, courtesy and professionalism.
This is indeed a prime example of respect, courtesy and professionalism.

Thanks for your comments. Most of the issues raised have already been dealt with, but as an AirTran pilot, I do want to address your comments regarding AirTran.

First- I flew on AirTran as a passenger in 1999 and swore I would never fly on them again. Having said that, I noticed a complete turnaround in effect in 2001 when I bummed a free ride to ATL. New airplanes, happy flght crews- huge change. I went from "Never flying on these guys again" to sending in a resume after that experience.

Ty, I think I was a little misunderstood. The intent of my message is/was that Airtran HAS come a long way, and they do not resemble the company they were three years ago. Most of my experiences were before the new planes, but I have flown them three times in the last few months. My only suggestions would be to establish a frequent flier program that rewards loyal passengers with:

1)prefered seating, boarding, and upgrading.
2)Increased destinations/flights (will come with growth)
3)Flight change flexibility. This is the big one. If I am in Chicago, and instead of going back to ATL, I need to go to LGA, I lose the ATL ticket, No matter what. Let me hold it for a year, or charge me a resonable change fee, or both. Don't just say too bad.

I have been here now almost three years. I have never seen a flight canceled for lack of passengers. In fact, the EMO (Early Morning Originators) are THE most important flights to get in the air . . . . period. They DO NOT cancel for ridership. Maybe the unfortunate experiences you had were due to either DC9 or RJ aircraft, but the B717 is turning in a 99.6% completion factor. In any event, the DC9's are all gone, and the last RJ flights will end in July.

good to hear!

Having said that, I do have to say that I bum rides on Delta pretty frequently, and most Delta crews are very professional, both the F/A's and the pilots. The gate agents can run hot and cold. Some of them still have a sense of entitlement, but they, too, will get the message eventually. I am sure that the better ones would really wince at your comments, and I would anticipate that the customer service will improve once management decides to focus on that aspect of the operation. As someone else pointed out, it's hard for many poeple to smile when you are worried about your livelihood.

This is a lesson I have learned since this e-mail was started. I looked at the situation from my perspective, both in comparison to other airlines, and to "old Delta", which, while accurate, did not have compassion for the "employees" and their hardships.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Hang in there . . . it's only transportation, try not to let it bother you while the kinks get sorted out. It still beats driving, most of the time!

I have a in/out flight to Orlando next week. I will let you know how it goes.

Regards,

TW[/QUOTE]

wow, would you like a cookie?. I can think of quite a few friends that can easily top that. For everyone of the likes of you that may not be pleased, guess what? There many many more that are very pleased with the service that DL provides on a daily basis. You are not pleased? then do not fly on them anymore, saying you don't have a choice is BS....

It isn't about the DL pilots....

#1-Sorry I upset you. My intent was not to brag. It was to say "I fly a lot".

Sorry, I tried to switch, trust me. Too many layovers out of ATL. Family comes first.

Latest resources

Back