a little damage control

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airmonkey

I wasn't recommended for the checkride after struggling a little through the 200 sim and then having brain lock during the mock PC. Its hard to swallow, I know I can learn, I'm a good pilot, had the flows down...just can't seem to master the sim.

I imagine its 99.9999% the end of my run here when I talk to the training dept on Monday. I'm ready to smack myself in the head with a hammer..soo close yet so far away.

Is this the end for me? Did anyone not make it through training and get hired by someone else? Any advice on staying in the game and giving it another shot?

Never give up. You got there, you can do it. Figure out what went wrong, fix it, move on. If this employer won't work with you, others will.

Small solace, I know, but never give up.

Keep your head up. This is far from the end of the road! It ain't over until you say it is.

Go the the training department meeting with a humble attitude and show you've still been studying. Ya never know, they may just give you another shot (especially if they are hard up for FO's).

If they do give you another go, try and relax a bit (hard to do, I know). What is going to be will be, and all you can do is give it your best shot. No matter what, the sun still rises tommorrow and other opportunities will present themselves. Do your best to succeed and let the chips fall where they may.

If the training folks say that is all, then the above advice still applies. Say "thanks for the chance" and walk out with your head high. You have 650 hours for goodness sakes... Less time than you will get in a year at the airline you WILL eventually work for. That isn't a whole heck of a lot of experience and if a tough lesson is going to happen in your career, better now then later down the road. Go find a job flying... Pretty much any job and network and gain experience and soon enough your chance will come (and you WILL be ready!).

Not making light of your predicament at all, but it isn't all bad necessarily.

From one Monkey to another, shake it off. Consider yourself lucky you were even IN a 200 sim with your hours, let alone not getting through.
What happend to you has happen to countless of great aviators. It's part of what makes you better, that's how you learn, and you will learn and become better because of it. Don't take this wrong, you might not believe it now, but in a strange way that sim instructor probably did you a favor.

From what i hear is that if you have a good attitude you will have be given another chance.
A lot of really bright people have trouble in training, you have to dumb yourself down a lot of the time. There is just so much to learn and impossible to learn it all. Sometimes you end up studying the wrong stuff and just can't come up with the right stuff. Shake it off and keep at it. You weren't the first and you won't be the last.

No problem. Pull it together and move on. Dude I had a student land so hard on a Private checkride the DE wrote the plane up for a gear inspection. He took it like a man and passed the next week. Now hes flying for SKW.

Just remember to take your time and slow down when the Sh*t hits the fan. It's your checkride. Don't accept a clearance if you're not ready and don't rush yourself during an emergency/abnormal checklist. Lose the defeatist attitude and do your best.

or you could try to get a job that matches your skill level at this point... not putting you down, maybe you just aren't ready yet.

B

What he said, you have 650 hours. Go get a job that falls in line with your experience level. Go fly cargo.

Latest resources

Back