• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

a little damage control

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry to hear about your failure. I doubt it's uncommon anymore with the level of experience the regionals are paying for. I wouldn't sweat it much, just sit down and visualize the procedures for various checkride events.

If it doesn't work out Monday, apply to Comair. Since they can only get five new-hires to show up for a scheduled class with eight slots, they're likely to take anyone.

Comair is spending thousands of extra dollars on training, rather than working to retain the experienced pilots they already have. You sound like the perfect candidate.

Hang in there

I wasn't recommended for the checkride after struggling a little through the 200 sim and then having brain lock during the mock PC. Its hard to swallow, I know I can learn, I'm a good pilot, had the flows down...just can't seem to master the sim.

I imagine its 99.9999% the end of my run here when I talk to the training dept on Monday. I'm ready to smack myself in the head with a hammer..soo close yet so far away.

Is this the end for me? Did anyone not make it through training and get hired by someone else? Any advice on staying in the game and giving it another shot?

Which carrier? How many sims have you had so far? At ASA I have seen several newhire F/O's get extra sims, and have heard of others also. Some couldn't hack it and were sent packing; others brushed up with a new instructor and fly the line today without any problems.

Be humble and gladly accept any offers of assistance from the training department. The secret to a CRJ is TRIM TRIM TRIM whenever hand-flying. If your thumb isn't working the trim switch, something is wrong (except maybe in a steep turn - if it's trimmed right you probably won't need to do much in the turn). But on approaches, etc - TRIM. Of course the sim flies the "recommended" pitch and power setting really nicely - just trim out the pressure and relax.
Good luck.

What he said, you have 650 hours. Go get a job that falls in line with your experience level. Go fly cargo.
stupid comment. just stupid. obviously you've never flown single pilot cargo. damn.

Heres what happened...they offered to put me on leave, pick up some additional training on my own, come back and take a PC after a warm up session.

I have no misconceptions that 650 hours isn't a great deal of experience and theres no way Ive ever thought cargo was a cakewalk. 1000 feet above the ground is 1000 feet above the ground whether you're in a light single putting along or shooting an approach down to mins in a widebody. Gravity doesnt discriminate.

I'm not out of the game by any means, just trying to look ahead for the next best step.

Relax and think of it as the coolest video game ever. Because that's what it is, no matter what anybody says, it's just a video game. Play by its rules and everything will fall into place.

Good Luck

Heres what happened...they offered to put me on leave, pick up some additional training on my own, come back and take a PC after a warm up session.

I have no misconceptions that 650 hours isn't a great deal of experience and theres no way Ive ever thought cargo was a cakewalk. 1000 feet above the ground is 1000 feet above the ground whether you're in a light single putting along or shooting an approach down to mins in a widebody. Gravity doesnt discriminate.

I'm not out of the game by any means, just trying to look ahead for the next best step.

That's good news - go concentrate on attitude instrument flying, and remember that you CAN fly the sim and that you WILL get another shot after the approprite "check in the box" with additional training/experience. How long do you have to go on leave? Which carrier is this? Have you applied to ASA or Comair? Good luck.

Maybe you should take this opportunity to find another career path, for multiple reasons. I hate this attitude everyone seems to have that anyone can do anything they want to if they just try, bull********************.

I wasn't recommended for the checkride after struggling a little through the 200 sim and then having brain lock during the mock PC. Its hard to swallow, I know I can learn, I'm a good pilot, had the flows down...just can't seem to master the sim.

I imagine its 99.9999% the end of my run here when I talk to the training dept on Monday. I'm ready to smack myself in the head with a hammer..soo close yet so far away.

Is this the end for me? Did anyone not make it through training and get hired by someone else? Any advice on staying in the game and giving it another shot?

Hey man, everybody's had a go with the sim at one time or the other. Talk to someone who's been around a while- a LONG while. They'll tell you about a time or two they have left the sim after taking a beating.

Pick yourself up and talk to your training IP about it. See what you need/can do to get back on track. I know of a guy at my airline that was in sim four, and got bumped back to the beginning of sim 1, because he was struggling. If it were due to procedures (flows), I'd say it would be a different story. But if you at least know your flows, they know you've put in the effort, and I would imagine you'll get the help you need and they will work with you. Your attitude is EVERYTHING! Keep pluggin' away, you'll get it.

The best advice I can give is to take detailed notes durring a debrief and review the PROPER proceedures to correct your actions. Also, go in calm and relaxed. There is no hurry to do anything in an emergency. Rushing only makes it worse.

It's pretty funny actually, I had some pretty big problems in the sim and it was easy to correct. I had the sim from 12:00am to 4:00am. My thought was CAFFEIN- lots of coffee, coke, etc. I was so jumpy by the time I got in the thing it was rediculous. I was all over the place. After sim 3 the instructor made mention of my jumpiness, so I cut back on the cafination and went into the box nice and relaxed- almost comatose, actually. I smoothed right up and started kickin' tail. It's all about your attitude and willingness to persevere. You'll snag it, just relax and keep your head high! DON'T GIVE UP YET, and certainly don't be defeatist!

Here's a suggestion.

Since you've experienced the 121 training environment, maybe you should go spend 6K on one of those RJ certification courses they offer at ATP. This certificate coupled with your prior 121 exposure should do wonders for your ability fly the sim and pass the checkride at the next place that hires you.

You also may want to rehash ALL that went wrong and practice on your own chair flying or on a CPU-based simulator.

In this hiring environment, I don't think the game is over, especially since you went in with such little time. Most important thing is to be HONEST and take RESPONSIBILITY.

Good luck.

Uuuuuuhhh... The best place someone with this time belongs is in a 121 situation or flight instructing.

You are kidding right? Someone with 650 hours "belongs" at an airline? Maybe in the back serving drinks.

Latest resources

Back