A letter to a Delta Friend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetflier

"Thanks for the information. I thought the Roar was very well written, and I was impressed that a dissenting opinion was included. Both sides of the argument have good points, if were included in the voting it seems that it might boil down to the equity stake. In other words, �a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush�. Who knows what the airline business will look like in two or three years. I would �take the money�. If I was given to wagering I would give high percentage odds that the Delta pilots will ratify LOA 19. It would be nice to have all the Northwest pilots voting for this same contract but so far that is not to be.

Negotiations are scheduled for mid May to work out an agreement with the Northwest pilots. Our negotiators are on record that the joint pilot contract had been worked out prior to the announcement of the merger, the only sticking point was the new NWA/DAL pilot seniority list. The Northwest side is also on record as being willing to accept arbitration of the seniority list to get the new contract signed, a contract that was a bit better than that represented by LOA 19. Your Chairman, Moak, said he would never submit to arbitration, hence the better pre merger announcement contract was not consummated. Our union leaders were more than a little frustrated when your Master Chairman agreed to LOA 19 and also simultaneously agreed to arbitration of the pilot seniority list. We all could have had the better contract had he been willing to accept arbitration several weeks earlier. I was disappointed to not see any discussion of this in either of the Delta pilot communications you had sent to me.

Several other points in the Roar need to be made clear. Pay rates; compared to the pre announcement contract several hourly rates were changed. The A-330 hourly rate was reduced by $6.00 per hour to place it below the 767-400 ER in the pay rate table. I have been informed that by every standard measure the Air Line Pilots Association uses to determine aircraft hourly pay rates the A-330 is superior to the 767-400 ER, namely range, payload and speed. In addition the 737-700 was increased to match the 737-800, placing our A-320 and A-319 aircraft lower on the pay table. Our negotiators claim this was a change from the pre announcement contract that both sides had agreed to. Ultimately there will be a mix of pilots from both Northwest and Delta flying these aircraft, what is a Northwest pilot to think about these subtle changes?

Lastly regarding wide body flying; we understand Delta has more wide body aircraft than Northwest does. However most of that number are the 767 that earn no premium pay for its pilots, in fact they pay the same as the 757. Northwest operates, 16, 757-300�s and I believe hold nearly the same number of passengers that many of your wide body 767 hold, and in fact with a joint contract will pay the same . Our 757-300 have a capacity of 224 passengers in a two class configuration and are all ETOPS. It is my view that Northwest pilots bring a majority of the premium wide body flying,(32) A-330�s, (16) 747-400�s, (12) 747-200�s, firm orders for (18) 787�s, I will not count the additional (50) 787 options that exist with the original 787 order. Our contract states that Northwest pilots will fly any aircraft on order in the event of a merger, until a new joint contract is agreed to. Given our explicit contract I do not expect that Delta pilots will be flying a percentage of new aircraft that Delta does not presently fly without a joint contract, i.e., the 787. Northwest has 68 premium pay long range aircraft. It is my understanding Delta has 14 777�s and about 25 767-400 ER�s, my count is that Delta has 37 premium wide body aircraft. I am sure you had other firm orders prior to the merger announcement that I am not aware of. I am not trying to belittle the premium pay wide body pilot jobs Delta brings to the joint airline, however it is clear to me that Northwest brings nearly double these premium jobs.

It is my hope that a combined joint contract is agreed to in the next several weeks. A contract for the Northwest pilots that �harmonizes� pay rates over several years is not going to play with our group. Without a joint contract Delta management cannot take full advantage of the re-fleeting of the airline to generate more revenue and to save on the expense side. Think of re-fleeting as matching each market with the right size aircraft so you don�t have to sell any discounted seats. For example, MSP-NRT on certain days of the week we have to discount 50-100 seats on the 747-400, other days of the week we fly two flights within minutes of each other to Tokyo. The slower days would be a perfect fit for the 777 that has a few less seats. I am told that Delta has flights out of ATL on certain days that the 747-400 would better serve. Apparently that is how Richard Anderson and company arrived at the merger savings and revenue gains. The point is these savings and revenue gains cannot be fully realized without the Northwest pilots agreeing to a new contract. The contract we want is exactly the contract the Delta guys are going to get with possibly a few modifications. The Northwest pilots will refuse to be treated and paid differently than Delta pilots.

Our combined companies have almost 7 billion in cash. It seems the bankers are not interested in loaning money to anyone presently. This merger has to work, and it has to work well. No close calls. We have to have a joint contract from the beginning, so the combined carrier can have the maximum cost savings and generate the maximum revenue. Once we have a joint contract the Northwest pilots will fully support this merger, until then we will actively oppose it. We will know within several weeks if we are going to be treated fairly, or if we will be expected to work for substantially less than or brothers at Delta. Having said all that I continue to be very optimistic about this new company and I do hope this turns out well."

Wow, a somewhat level-headed commentary. Is that allowed on FI?

I just voted YES on LOA19. The LOA included modifications that allow the company to more easily consummate the merger, which is a merger I support. In making these changes, we were able to win some gains that I believe will also benefit NWA in the near future. The equity is a bit one-sided, but in a "take it or lose it" situation, I don't believe many NWA guys would vote it down in my shoes. I think of it as my "furlough fund" in case the DC9's go away, and me with them.

Hopefully LOA 19 is never implemented. The new joint contract should have equity for the entire group. Yes I work for DAL.

He defines "premium paying" widebody aircraft by size and range. DL's "non-premium" widebodies are both more numerous and pay more than NWA's.

I'd rather fly a "non-premium" 757 at Delta if it pays, say $15 more per hour than the A330 at year 3.

I'm not sure I understand the importance of the size of the aircraft when analyzing who is bringing what to the table. Isn't pay more important?

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/legacy/northwest.html

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/legacy/delta.html

Agreed. Parity right away. Hopefully that'll be the case, as I hear that egos on both sides are cooling and they're ready to get to work.

I have to laugh at the "premium pay" argument. Our 767ERs payed more prior to BK but we elected to have the 757 pay the same since we have about 130 of them and it would benefit the most people. The premium pay argument has zero merit in my opinion. There are many valid arguments but that one is so bad it's almost funny, although I see why you are grasping at that straw. You obviously had your priorities in your concessionary contract and we had ours. I would think the last thing a NW guy would put into his argument would be pay of any kind.

Last edited:
jetflier;1581421 I have been informed that by every standard measure the Air Line Pilots Association uses to determine aircraft hourly pay rates the A-330 is superior to the 767-400 ER said:
[/color]

Do the A320 and A319 have the same range and payload? If they don't, then why are they paid the same? Wouldn't that violate the standards used by ALPA?

Also, what's wrong with bringing the 700 rate up to the 800 rate, you did it with your 319s and 318s, we did it with out 757s and 767s.

Our negotiators claim this was a change from the pre announcement contract that both sides had agreed to.

I've heard a different story, but be that as it may, this was a different negotiation.

Ultimately there will be a mix of pilots from both Northwest and Delta flying these aircraft, what is a Northwest pilot to think about these subtle changes?

How about, Geez, I'm making more money. All these rates are higher than before.

Lastly regarding wide body flying; we understand Delta has more wide body aircraft than Northwest does. However most of that number are the 767 that earn no premium pay for its pilots, in fact they pay the same as the 757.

Perhaps because our 757s pay a premium and are paid at comparable rates to your A330.

Northwest operates, 16, 757-300�s and I believe hold nearly the same number of passengers that many of your wide body 767 hold, and in fact with a joint contract will pay the same .

Another big benefit brought to you by way of the Delta PWA.

Our 757-300 have a capacity of 224 passengers in a two class configuration and are all ETOPS. It is my view that Northwest pilots bring a majority of the premium wide body flying

You'll have to define premium flying, because like I said before, our 757 pay is equivalent to your A330 pay and wide bodied international is wide bodied international. Delta has over 100 B767s, which you conveniently don't want to count. Why is that

Our contract states that Northwest pilots will fly any aircraft on order in the event of a merger, until a new joint contract is agreed to. Given our explicit contract I do not expect that Delta pilots will be flying a percentage of new aircraft that Delta does not presently fly without a joint contract, i.e., the 787.

The LOA specifies that you will get all 18 B787s on order. That is consistent with your contract.

Northwest has 68 premium pay long range aircraft.

It is my understanding Delta has 14 777�s and about 25 767-400 ER�s, my count is that Delta has 37 premium wide body aircraft.

Delta has 111 premium wide bodied aircraft and 136 premium paid 757s.

I am sure you had other firm orders prior to the merger announcement that I am not aware of. I am not trying to belittle the premium pay wide body pilot jobs Delta brings to the joint airline, however it is clear to me that Northwest brings nearly double these premium jobs.

You are incorrect. Delta brings more high paying premium jobs and flying. Delta has more international aircraft, destinations, routes and a larger premium wide bodied categories. Delta also has more aircraft on order, on option and on rolling aptions.

It is my hope that a combined joint contract is agreed to in the next several weeks. A contract for the Northwest pilots that �harmonizes� pay rates over several years is not going to play with our group.

I hope we can get that.

Without a joint contract Delta management cannot take full advantage of the re-fleeting of the airline to generate more revenue and to save on the expense side. Think of re-fleeting as matching each market with the right size aircraft so you don�t have to sell any discounted seats. For example, MSP-NRT on certain days of the week we have to discount 50-100 seats on the 747-400, other days of the week we fly two flights within minutes of each other to Tokyo. The slower days would be a perfect fit for the 777 that has a few less seats. I am told that Delta has flights out of ATL on certain days that the 747-400 would better serve. Apparently that is how Richard Anderson and company arrived at the merger savings and revenue gains. The point is these savings and revenue gains cannot be fully realized without the Northwest pilots agreeing to a new contract. The contract we want is exactly the contract the Delta guys are going to get with possibly a few modifications. The Northwest pilots will refuse to be treated and paid differently than Delta pilots.

You see, we do have leverage outside of the exclusive leverage used for LOA19. Let's use that to forge a joint contract that is mutually beneficial to all involved.

Our combined companies have almost 7 billion in cash. It seems the bankers are not interested in loaning money to anyone presently. This merger has to work, and it has to work well. No close calls. We have to have a joint contract from the beginning, so the combined carrier can have the maximum cost savings and generate the maximum revenue. Once we have a joint contract the Northwest pilots will fully support this merger, until then we will actively oppose it. We will know within several weeks if we are going to be treated fairly, or if we will be expected to work for substantially less than or brothers at Delta. Having said all that I continue to be very optimistic about this new company and I do hope this turns out well."

We all hope it turns out well. However, diminishing the premium wide bodied flying of your fellow pilots doesn't help. The last I checked a 767 is a wide bodied aircraft and is compensated as such, equivalent to a A330. I can certainly understand why you would find it advantageous to diminish it, but you would be wrong to do so. BTW, should we consider the MD88 premium narrow bodied flying since it pays more, is more modern, has greater capacity and range than a DC-9. Should we give NWA pilots equal credit for their DC-9s, or should we staple the 9s below the MD-88?

Last edited:
No matter how you slice it, NWA's "premium pay" aircraft pay less than Delta's "non-so-premium pay" aircraft. (So, I suppose "premium" is in the eye of the mathematically-challenged observer.)

Here's to all pay at least staying where it is as we face $150/barrel oil and an impending economic meltdown. :beer:

No matter how you slice it, NWA's "premium pay" aircraft pay less than Delta's "non-so-premium pay" aircraft. (So, I suppose "premium" is in the eye of the mathematically-challenged observer.)

Here's to all pay at least staying where it is as we face $150/barrel oil and an impending economic meltdown. :beer:

After the merger they will all be "New Delta" aircraft flown by "New Delta" pilots. The pay rates will be whatever is negotiated. If, for instance, you slot the A330 at the same pay rates as the 767-400, it is semantics to argue that the A330 "used" to be a lower paying aircraft. When deciding who brings what to the table you have to look at the new contract, not each carriers old contract. This is the crux of NWA's pilots anxiety over the merger. If their airplanes are slotted at the same level (or above) Delta's they want to continue to fly them. It's pretty simple.

The other fundamental question is how much future attrition decides a seniority list. In my opinion "dynamic seniority" is a good solution to this question. If NWA has the retirements they think they have the list stays at the same integration level as day one of the merger. If for some reason there aren't any retirements the list stays at the same integration level as day one of the merger. On the other hand, a set seniority list would move disproportionately toward Delta pilots if NWA has a lot of retirements, which would move Delta pilots into NWA airplanes.

In my opinion "dynamic seniority" is a good solution to this question. If NWA has the retirements they think they have the list stays at the same integration level as day one of the merger. If for some reason there aren't any retirements the list stays at the same integration level as day one of the merger. On the other hand, a set seniority list would move disproportionately toward Delta pilots if NWA has a lot of retirements, which would move Delta pilots into NWA airplanes.

Does that "dynamic seniority" apply to both ends of the list? If you are trying to keep NWA pilots in NWA airplanes, then it should also be NWA pilots who feel the pinch of a retiring NWA airframe.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back