Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
I need somebody to clear something up for me: when a pilot who already has a 737 type gets hired by SWA, what training "shortcuts" do they get versus a guy who gets hired by, say, Delta and goes into the right seat of the 7-3? In other words, whatss the advantage to SWA management of requiring the type rating when you walk in the door?

A fair question

I don't have a good answer for your question.

Also, I happen to consider myself a fairly militant anti-PFTer, but I don't consider SWA to be PFT. Here's why:

PFT is when you pay the company for company specific training that they must provide and won't do you any good anywhere else.

A 737 type is *not* company specific and you can take it to almost any other employer and it would be just as good.

They just happen to require a 737 type as some companies require an ATP.

Who knows why they require it? Maybe their training program is based on type rated pilots--maybe they get an insurance break--anybody have a better answer?

... maybe it's because they save lots of money. SWA is very good at being an LCC. Whether requiring a type rating is *ethical* as opposed to the company paying for the training, I'm sure the airline is saving lots of money in doing so.

reasons

There could be a number of reasons.

One of the reasons that many majors required college degrees was to show that you had the discipline to study at a high level and complte and comprehend the work.

A 737 type rating indicates you are ready to operate that equipment and will succeed in their porgram. Wash outs cost money and they are being efficient like they always are.

This is no different than requiring a multi engine instrumant commercial with a lear rating for a corporate job.

If you can get the desired candidates without having to spend to type, why would a company not do that.

reasons

There could be a number of reasons.

One of the reasons that many majors required college degrees was to show that you had the discipline to study at a high level and complte and comprehend the work.

A 737 type rating indicates you are ready to operate that equipment and will succeed in their porgram. Wash outs cost money and they are being efficient like they always are.

This is no different than requiring a multi engine instrumant commercial with a lear rating for a corporate job.

If you can get the desired candidates without having to spend to type, why would a company not do that.

737 Type v. P-F-T

I am as anti-P-F-T as they come, too. I agree one hundred percent with mar's differentiation between P-F-T and buying the 737 type. One other point to add is P-F-T must be available only from the company that requires it or a vendor to that company. There are a bunch of places that sell 737 types.

Of course, only a handful of companies require the type, with Southwest being the one which is most discussed.

Years ago, the 737 type was a requirement for interview at Southwest, but no sim ride was required at the interview. My guess was that it saved the company money on initial training, even though by regulation it still had to run through all new-hires through ground school, sim and flight training. I would second Publisher's opinion about the airline knowing it will get applicants with a good chance of succeeding in training - again, a cost-saving move.

Something else it does is save H.R. effort and money in screening applicants. Although Southwest says that anyone who meets its time and turbine mins can apply, as a practical matter only those who have the type know they have a real chance at an interview. So, only they will apply and Southwest H.R. will have few applications to chuck.

Last edited:
Pub and I agree on this one.

I have missed out on two jobs because the other candidate(s) had Lear type ratings. At some point, I will likely get a type for myself (unless someone is willing to type me after hiring, which would be great) so that I can successfully compete with those pilots who are typed and have similar experience. I'll deduct the cost as professional training, and be ready to work for anyone who requires a type rating, not just one specific employer as in PFT.

Typhoon1244 said:
I need somebody to clear something up for me: when a pilot who already has a 737 type gets hired by SWA, what training "shortcuts" do they get versus a guy who gets hired by, say, Delta...

Easy... SWA saves $$$ by not having to schedule a checkride with the Feds when the FO is due for upgrade. Just in house training and check-ride and you're in the left seat.

Nothing against SWA but they are the pioneers of PFT and the no frills "cheap-skate" airline, so IMO its all about the $$$ baby! Furthermore, since they already require applicants to have 1000 PIC turbine plus three letters of rec. attesting to flying skills, they know d@mn-well you'll be able to fly a 737.

Last edited:
Re: reasons

publisher said:
If that were true, then it shouldn't matter what equipment you have a type rating for. I could demonstrate how disciplined I am by getting typed in anything, couldn't I?

Unless somebody can assert that SWA's training department saves absolutely no time or money by dealing with pre-typed pilots, I gotta go with uwochris and BigFlyr on this one...I'm forced to conclude that this is a form of PFT.

Latest resources

Back