• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 or Airbus 320

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Definitely bid the 737. You want experience on that type when UAL furloughs pilots after its merger with XYZ (most likely USAirways) and you want to go to SWA. That 737 experience could be valuable in the long-run (your ticket to SWA)!

I personally wish you luck but I need to ask the following question: why would anyone consider going to UAL now after they explicitly mentioned their intention/need to merge with another airline? Isn't that just asking for headaches and a lot of potential stress????

Not anymore than you would get if you decided to hire on at USAirways. I talked with a new hire going thru indoc in PHX a few months ago before getting shipped back east to do GS and fly the E190. Told me (and these are his exact words);"I'm not here because USAirways is so good. It's just that my last job was so bad !":eek: Guess that 'bout sums up why some people still find this career an attractive way to make a living even after all the crap we have gone through.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Thread resurection:

I'd pitch in the $50 for a motor to backdrive the Airbus thrust levers. As an amateur jet pilot I'd appreciate the ability to interact with the autothrust without outright disconnecting everything.

Oh, and the reading light is as useful and well designed as a bidet.

Last edited:
If you have to learn a whole variety of 73s from classics to NG's I would go with the bus only for making training a bit more easy on the noggen. The 737 NGs are trully nice aircraft but if you have to train on them, EFIS equipped and straight up round dials with no map display and no GPS then make it easy on yourself.

If none of that applies go with your desired base.

USAir - Where airlines, careers, and flightinfo threads go to die.

Just used it as an example as to why some people still move up to airlines such as UA,etc from their present flying jobs and responding to HVY SET's question ,that's all .Try following the general flow of the thread next time,numnutz:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Its amazing what being on the inside for awhile will do to a guys thought processes. If I go back years ago and look at myself when I was on the outside lookin in vs. now I almost don't even recognize myself. Its pointless to be making fun of a guy because he chooses to come here. I bet if most of us were fired tomorrow, we'd be begging to come back.

Oh yeah, 737 over bus any day, flying is still fun, all the other horse ******************** aside.

Last edited:
Well I won't know for sure for a while since I start training on the Bus next year(currently 737). Most say I'll dislike it at first and once I get comfortable I'll never want to go back to a 737. We'll see.

Well I won't know for sure for a while since I start training on the Bus next year(currently 737). Most say I'll dislike it at first and once I get comfortable I'll never want to go back to a 737. We'll see.

That is probably right for most guys, but I do know several previous Boeing guys who don't like the bus at all. One 737 captain at AWA went to the bus to get his 1000 hrs for possible future use(ie. airline tanking)and as soon as he was unlocked he high tailed it back to the 737. He said something along the lines of 'at first when you're new to the bus you think what piece of ********************, then later when you figure out what is going on you realize what an even bigger piece of ******************** it is'.

I know several others that feel the same way. Most probably do end up bus converts, but its far from universal.

Learning to 'fly' the bus well is a process of surrender.

It will take about 6mo to 1 yr depending on how much you fly to master all the work arounds and operate the way ATC wants.

In a perfect world with perfect vectors, early descents and no winds or turbulence, the bus is great and it's 'managed' modes excel...the other 99% of the time, you have to work around the plane, but that becomes normal to you over time. There are instances the bus can turn into the 'violator 2000', but are easily avoided once you've been exposed to them and learn the work arounds.

Very comfortable, usually quiet and all around good place to 'work'.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back