• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

717's at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im not sure, but I think Delta has hired 5-600 people. (in 08 and 10)

Steve Dickson (Senior VP flt ops) addressed this scenario last week and made a clear promise to us that the Airtrain pilots would NOT be coming with the planes.

This would be a double nightmare for us on the list (if they came) considering the 717s are our carrot for letting DCI get 70 more 76 seaters.

If we were to just take the 717s without giving up the 76 seaters, I think we'd be far more welcoming to the Airtrain people joining us.

I've got a question though. What exact career damage to the Airtran people does the 717 going away do? All that lift will be replaced by the 737 order right? I'm not familiar with the details of your SLI.

Unbelievable you guys are considering this.

Like I said, a double sellout then- not only are you selling out - new FLEET of -900's that could mean hundreds of new mainline jobs, you're just working around another ALPA carriers fragmentation language. Wonder how all those ex-eastern guys there feel about that?

With 30,000 applicants for maybe 1,000 spots in the next few years, easier said than done.

God forbid you earn a top tier job through the front door, competition and all. Delta's no more desirable to new applicants than swa, which is why seniority at swa is more valuable than seniority at AT. It's a tougher job to get. Funny how you acknowledge that with ALPA delta, but not swa. Once a hater, always...

Last edited:
Agreed 110%! maybe there's a chance we could go over that way if we desire. It's not the way I'd wish for, but it sure beats this deal with SWA!!

If you don't want to be at swa, then I hope for it too.

What I'd love to see is the exact wording of your fragmentation clause. The devil's in the details.

So you're saying there's a chance...Sounds like better odds than getting hired off the street at Southwest; there were 14k apps for the 150 they hired last year. What about Fedex, UPS...reading your post it sounds like anything would be preferrable to the jerks over at SWA. Or maybe not...

Well, not anything. I still need to pay my bills, you know. :) But yes, my application will be in at Delta, FedEx, UPS, and United/Continental if they get their CBA done in the next few months.

Best news I've heard out of you in a year, PCL.
Get on fast enough and delta may not furlough you into the right seat of one of those -900's. Unlikely, so it'll be important to get in quick. Youve got to think delta will be a little grateful for the work you've done on their behalf at ALpA-
A few tips- begin a good exercise program now- dont need to be a Marine, the energy comes across well.
Get calling emerald aviation ASAP and start prepping.
Get your logbooks in electronic form- all those airlines will want different numbers and the work is well worth it.
Learn each airlines process. They're all different enough to figure out who really wants to work there and who just wants any job.
Get your ALPA buddies lined up where recs count.
You need to be as ready as possible- Don't want you spending a day at Swa that you don't want to be.
Seriously.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll find many different answers, but I know a lot of us would very much like an opportunity to go to DAL. I'd rather be stapled at DAL than keep my 90% number at SWA, in fact. Upgrade time would be cut almost in half, career earnings would be higher, and I could still be based at home in Atlanta.

But unfortunately, I don't think that's going to be an option. The best possible outcome is probably going to be getting some money from SWA after a grievance.

If this TA passes, I'll trade you my spot for a staple at SWA.

I'd rather be stapled at DAL than keep my 90% number at SWA, in fact. Upgrade time would be cut almost in half, career earnings would be higher, and I could still be based at home in Atlanta.

But unfortunately, I don't think that's going to be an option. The best possible outcome is probably going to be getting some money from SWA after a grievance.

So you would rather be on the bottom of Delto's list, well that's easy, just apply and get hired. I get the feeling you wouldn't be missed around good ol SWA anyway. Good luck, we'll see if you are really serious about your statement.

Latest resources

Back