600 hours and frusterated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jeff775621

Im a 600 hour commerical pilot with 100 hours of ME time. Ive been flying traffic watch the last 6 months. Its now november in Ohio, and the weather is changing fast, Ive learned what its like doing turns around a point with 30kt winds aloft. Anyway,Ive been reading alot of posts about the "regional" life and how it doesnt look the greatest. Im 21 years old and i have my associates degree in a non aviation related degree. Ive thought about going the CFII-MEI route becuase i dont think i would be a very good instructor and have the patience to teach. Ive been getting a taste of the corproate life by getting right seats in a Citation II. IVe got about 40 hours of Citation II time ive logged. Can anyone give me some kind of advice? Thanks for the help.

-Jeff

Think of what would be an ideal job for you?

Find a company that most resembles this.....or will resemble this in the future based on your best guess and research. Talk to XYZ company and find out what you should do to be the best candidate for them and what they look for.
Beg, cheat and steal to do what XYZ told you.....enjoy life.

Sadly its not that simple but seriously......find the right company, make a plan of best attack to get there (it will change along the way). Go for it. Don't say what wont work......find what will.
There are happy people out there believe it or not...find them and talk to them.
Sounds like you have a lot going for you if you already have Citation time at 21 with a degree.....
my .02

Last edited:
7500 hours and more frustrated than you can imagine.

Get out now. AT 21 believe me, you have nothing to lose. The effort it took you to get those 600 hours seems like a lot, and in a way it is, but it pales in comparison to what you should expect by continuing to persue this "profession". Just my two cents.

Go back to college and get your bachelors degree in something you enjoy.

Realistically, without a degree (Associates doesn't count), you'll be non-competitive for the liveable flying jobs eventually.

If you don't like the regional lifestyle now, chances are you're not going to like the major airline lifestyle in a couple of years, because the lifestyle is going to be about the same the way ALPA is bowing to the demands of CEO after CEO.

Last edited:
totally agree with draginass, get a 4 yr degree. maybe something where you could run an airline that way you could fly the sims anytime you want, makes millions of dollars if you suck at it, many millions more if you're good.

seriously tho, if you really want to be in this business it is supply and demand. if the airlines need pilots, assoc. is enough, if they don't you'll have to have a 4 yr to even be considered, they don't care how much time you have. get that degree now while things are really, really slow. if i knew at your age what i know now i'd have paid more attention in school and studied something like finance or accounting. doesn't sound glamourous but knowing what to do with a little bit of money, no matter where it comes from, can lead to a big amount of money. i'm with a great company now, but am working on a safety net. the guys at braniff, pan am, eastern, etc. were with great companies.

best of luck

Jeff775621 said:
Ive thought about going the CFII-MEI route becuase i dont think i would be a very good instructor and have the patience to teach. Can anyone give me some kind of advice? Thanks for the help.
-Jeff

Ok dude that sounds a bit oxymoronic. Apparently, you have no idea what flight instructing is. You think giving instrument or multi instruction isn't instructing? If you don't have the patience to teach don't bother with either CFII/MEI. Before getting on with a regional I instructed for three years as a CFI, II, MEI. What ever form of instructing your doing you need patience. If you ever make captain at a regional you better learn patience and a bit of instructor know-how. You might not understand what I mean now because your not flying with people in the right seat with 600hrs. Your FOs WILL make mistakes and you had best know how to show them otherwise.

Latest resources

Back