• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

50 seat Jets. Uncertain future?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GL's personal idea of scope went from telling regional pilots to "enjoy the 1900" to "well, we'll keep it at 76 seaters." GL is caving on scope already.

GL...insert fourth grade response here......

Caving on scope? There are LIMITS already, and they haven't been extended, even at the joint contract with NWA. That should mean something to you. As the 50s start to leave, it will be very tight on your 70/76 seaters, because only lifers will be flying them, until they can't anymore. Look at Comair. As the RJs come up to very expensive MX checks, they are usually scrapped. As I said before, good ole Mike Boyd stated that AA Eagle will probably dump 100 smaller RJs (135/140/145s) as soon as they can, which should tell you something. Scope isn't erroding here, gas is just eating the 50 seaters up, and I bet the 70 seaters aren't much better. No 4th grade response needed. Apply to Southern Air or Kallitta ASAP.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Caving on scope? There are LIMITS already, and they haven't been extended, even at the joint contract with NWA. That should mean something to you. As the 50s start to leave, it will be very tight on your 70/76 seaters, because only lifers will be flying them, until they can't anymore. Look at Comair. As the RJs come up to very expensive MX checks, they are usually scrapped. As I said before, good ole Mike Boyd stated that AA Eagle will probably dump 100 smaller RJs (135/140/145s) as soon as they can, which should tell you something. Scope isn't erroding here, gas is just eating the 50 seaters up, and I bet the 70 seaters aren't much better. No 4th grade response needed. Apply to Southern Air or Kallitta ASAP.

Bye Bye--General Lee

After so many posts, and so many years, you really do have to wonder what the hell is wrong with this guy.

Why is it necessary to come here 15,000 times to try and bash regional pilots? What in the world do you think you are accomplishing? Do you see any regional pilots going and bashing the flight instructors or student pilots?

-Really Gen, what the hell is wrong with you?

After so many posts, and so many years, you really do have to wonder what the hell is wrong with this guy.

Why is it necessary to come here 15,000 times to try and bash regional pilots? What in the world do you think you are accomplishing? Do you see any regional pilots going and bashing the flight instructors or student pilots?

-Really Gen, what the hell is wrong with you?

I'm giving advice. Apply to Southern Air or Kallitta now, get on with your lives. Looks like Johnny Knoxville and CaptainV (both Comair guys?) just got on with Atlas with little or no PIC, so I think you guys should consider that too. Many Comair guys thought they would be the RJ powerhouse, and that just isn't the case. So, if you have a chance, throw out some APPs and move on. No bashing, just free advice.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General Lee,
I just find it highly amusing and slightly entertaining to see you try to be so mean.

Now, about the lifers. Your whining about them simply shows your lack of understanding how life decisions work.

See, they make less, but don't have to be an FO for what, 10-15 years? They make less, but are home a lot. They make less, but THEY choose to stay.

You chose to move on to Delta. Hopefully you didn't get furloughed like some of the delta guys in my new hire class. Hopefully you made the right choice for you.

Quite frankly I just hope you find peace in life, because having 15,000 posts bitching about this stuff not only makes Delta pilots look bad but shows that you have heavily neglected all the things in life that really matter.

We just won't allow anything more on scope, and go for the big things like pay.

In other words, you feel this will be a take-and-take situation. You may well be right, but I have a feeling you don't entirely appreciate what sort of an adversary Anderson really is. Keep in mind that this guy managed to de-unionize the entire airline except for the pilot group, and half (at least) of said pilot group never, ever struck. Are you prepared to strike over scope? I imagine you (and a number of people below a certain seniority level) may be, but others may not be. You would all do well to learn a thing or two from the Northwest guys about unionism, but instead many of you chose to sport "Hired, not acquired" bag stickers like you're some superior life form, but I digress...

I have a feeling this is fixing to be an interesting few years, both with respect to scope and a lot of other things.

Our scope limits the number of planes and size of those planes, it doesn't limit who can fly the feed. You guys have zero scope, so the same planes from your fleets that are owned by DL can go to someone else, like GOjets. That is your fault. But, no additional planes were added, just recycling the remaining 70 seaters. When those 50 seaters hit expensive MX, they will most likely be scrapped, which is what has happened at Comair. Good ole Mike Boyd stated AA Eagle will probably dump 100 or so E135s, E140s, and E145s fairly soon because of the burden they cause on the mainline financials. High gas makes them very expensive and inefficient. What you guys need to do is start throwing apps out all over, get some time in something bigger, and then prepare for eventual hiring in a couple years at the Majors.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So you admit that it fills you with glee to specifically see ASA and Comair pilots suffer to downsizing and furloughs, etc while someone like GoJets benefits - as long, of course, as it doesn't affect you???? You sure like to rub their noses in any misfortune, which - of course, is why you are a huge bag of douch!

General Lee,
I just find it highly amusing and slightly entertaining to see you try to be so mean.

Now, about the lifers. Your whining about them simply shows your lack of understanding how life decisions work.

See, they make less, but don't have to be an FO for what, 10-15 years? They make less, but are home a lot. They make less, but THEY choose to stay.

You chose to move on to Delta. Hopefully you didn't get furloughed like some of the delta guys in my new hire class. Hopefully you made the right choice for you.

Quite frankly I just hope you find peace in life, because having 15,000 posts bitching about this stuff not only makes Delta pilots look bad but shows that you have heavily neglected all the things in life that really matter.

I have more than 5000 people behind me, and I have been here for 15 years, and NO, I didn't get furloughed. My airline gives me choices. I can do day turns, 12 day trips, and everything in between. Each fleet has different choices. Some fly mostly domestic, some fly mostly INTL. It's great, and when things are moving (thanks to retirements or expansion), then people skip right over the reserve part, settle in on something they enjoy, and really do enjoy it. You can be home as much or as little as you want. We have a personal drop board that people can pick up or drop anything, and the company can't say anything about it.

I may have 15,000 posts, but I don't represent my airline, I post my opinions. I enjoy my wife, my family, my job, and this board. I am not trying to be mean as you say, rather I am trying to be informative and trying to give some advice. You can take it or leave it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
In other words, you feel this will be a take-and-take situation. You may well be right, but I have a feeling you don't entirely appreciate what sort of an adversary Anderson really is. Keep in mind that this guy managed to de-unionize the entire airline except for the pilot group, and half (at least) of said pilot group never, ever struck. Are you prepared to strike over scope? I imagine you (and a number of people below a certain seniority level) may be, but others may not be. You would all do well to learn a thing or two from the Northwest guys about unionism, but instead many of you chose to sport "Hired, not acquired" bag stickers like you're some superior life form, but I digress...

I have a feeling this is fixing to be an interesting few years, both with respect to scope and a lot of other things.

I am sure the CEO is a good adversary, but it is contract time, and the airline isn't doing poorly. There are also hints that there could be more consolidation ahead, which actually means getting a contract sooner than later, which wouldn't be bad at all. Somebody knows what the plans are, and they are driving this.

Are we prepared to strike over scope? If it comes to it, I would say yes. We are glad to have the other half who had the fortitude to stand up and do it. That helps us as a group, and tells the other side that the whole group won't fold. How could the company IMPOSE something on us, anyway?

Our merger by the way has gone very well. The "hired, not aquired" stickers are long gone. Ask any FNWA pilot if he is happy now, and I bet he will say yes. There are more bases, more plane types, and they got raises and better work rules, while keeping their frozen pensions if they were senior enough to have them at the time. I fly with them all of the time over to Europe from ATL (they are usually the other FO, but even some FNWA Captains now ATL based). Their commutes are easier, or they have just moved to ATL and now enjoy a less cold lifestyle compared to MSP or DTW.

You may be disappointed when it comes to the LACK of things that change with scope coming up here. Hopefully retirements will start kicking in in a few years and some of you can come on over and enjoy what the rest of us have had for awhile. It really is a lot better, and I hope you get to try it someday.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
So you admit that it fills you with glee to specifically see ASA and Comair pilots suffer to downsizing and furloughs, etc while someone like GoJets benefits - as long, of course, as it doesn't affect you???? You sure like to rub their noses in any misfortune, which - of course, is why you are a huge bag of douch!

ASA guys really haven't had to suffer as much, a lot of the planes just transferred over to the United side, and then you merged with Expressjet. There could be some commuting issues, but that has happened at a lot of airlines (including the Majors just after 9-11), and is a part of the job. If you have to commute, I hope it is an easy one. I would suggest throwing your app in at Southern Air or Atlas and get some widebody time, and then apply at a Major when things start moving due to retirements if you want.

As far as Comair goes, well, I haven't been happy with them since their MEC "offered" to help our furloughs IF they gave up their seniority rights at Delta (even though DL owned Comair), AND if the DL MEC allowed them to have more 70 seaters. Not nice!!!!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I am sure the CEO is a good adversary, but it is contract time, and the airline isn't doing poorly. There are also hints that there could be more consolidation ahead, which actually means getting a contract sooner than later, which wouldn't be bad at all. Somebody knows what the plans are, and they are driving this.

Are we prepared to strike over scope? If it comes to it, I would say yes. We are glad to have the other half who had the fortitude to stand up and do it. That helps us as a group, and tells the other side that the whole group won't fold. How could the company IMPOSE something on us, anyway?

Our merger by the way has gone very well. The "hired, not aquired" stickers are long gone. Ask any FNWA pilot if he is happy now, and I bet he will say yes. There are more bases, more plane types, and they got raises and better work rules, while keeping their frozen pensions if they were senior enough to
have them at the time. I fly with them all of the time over to Europe from ATL (they are usually the other FO, but even some FNWA Captains now ATL based). Their commutes are easier, or they have just moved to ATL and now enjoy a less cold lifestyle compared to MSP or DTW.

You may be disappointed when it comes to the LACK of things that change with scope coming up here. Hopefully retirements will start kicking in in a few years and some of you can come on over and enjoy what the rest of us have had for awhile. It really is a lot better, and I hope you get to try it someday.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Lee,

You're right, I haven't heard anyone I've flown with say anything about giving up scope, or any major complaining about the merger. Some people can't accept the fact that our merger went well and things are continuing to get better.

Godspeed!

OYS

Latest resources

Back