• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

3rd Qtr. Earnings at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To get from Oak to SJC you can take the BART..

BART only will get you to Fremont. I believe there is connecting bus service from the Fremont station to SJC. Allow plenty of time, the traffic on HWY 880 and 680 is notorious, especially during peak commute times.

Olladriver

Coughing Beer....

Hey PT, from your post;
"Tred, you may have to cough up the beer soon."

I am MORE than ready to cough up the beer.... at least it will get the chlorine taste out of my mouth from all this pool water I have been "coughing up" lately!!!:cool:

Open the doors to the school house & let us IN!!!!!

For the SJC-OAK commuter..... best to just jump seat to OAK unless you have an airport car in SJC/ I lived in the Bay area for 12 years, that's a bad commute.... can take 2 hours to go 20 miles!

Have a great weekend everyone - Regards, Tred

A Turd in the Punch Bowl

Thoth has the right idea. Some people here are reading too much into this news.

Don't get me wrong, the expansion is great for the long-term prognosis, but it probably will have little to do with short-term hiring.

SWA is just bargain basement shopping for new planes. I heard from some "insiders" a few months ago they were already planning on expanding the fleet without hiring additional pilots.

I am hoping for the best, but planning for the worst.

This news means little to us poolies. The real test will be first and second quarter profits next year, and better news from the war on terror/Iraq. As long as a potential war and high oil prices loom, the management will probably take a "wait and see" approach--we should all do the same. (As if we have a choice.)

See you in 2004

Any growth opportunites here?

Hi folks. I just read on www.atwonline.com that American is going to park an additional 42 airplanes very soon (28 MD-80's and 14 767's). If you look at lost capacity alone, that equates to 5880 seats per day, or about 2940 more available butts (if you just assume they had an average 50% load factor). These planes are going to be parked until 2005, according to the article.

So assuming these 2940 available butts need a seat and would like a nice fare to soften the wallet, SWA might just need to consider acquiring some more airplanes in 2003.

Just a thought. Good opportunities don't come along every day. Let's pass the word.

BTW, I meant no disrespect to the wonderful folks who pay the fares on the fine aforementioned airlines. It wasn't my intention to make any paying passenger, i.e., PAX, the butt of one of my jokes. We all appreciate your business. You're now free to move about the country.

For those of you who are more adept with ASM's, RPM's, CSM's, and all that other jive, sorry. My reasoning with seats per day doesn't make sense. I should have made the comparison using seats per flight instead of seats per day. I have no way of knowing the utilization and number segments per day of the MD-80 and 767. That would be too much effort this late for a dude like me.

All I was really trying to say was, there's a lot of good potential for more growth here by SWA.

It's late and I feel about like Al Pacino in "Insomnia." Thank God it's dark outside. See ya.

I agree with thoth and livefree man. Eventhough SWA is taking on more planes, new routes and frequencies; they will not train new F/O's until the existing ones are sufficiently utilized. However, IMHO, I do not believe SWA will be able to absorb the announced expansion into the current rank and file for the long run.
What we poolies need is CURRENT information on load factors, JA rates, open time, reserve utilization, ect... (including the actual number of military pilots who suprised SWA by comming back early).

Latest resources

Back