3rd Qtr. Earnings at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Maynard

DALLAS, Oct 17, 2002 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Southwest Airlines' (LUV) net income for third quarter 2002 was $74.9 million, compared to third quarter 2001 net income of $151.0 million. Net income per diluted share was $.09 for third quarter 2002, compared to $.19 for third quarter 2001. The Company's third quarter net income for both 2002 and 2001 includes special items resulting from last year's terrorist attacks. Excluding the special items, third quarter 2002 net income was $50.5 million, or $.06 per diluted share, which compares favorably to First Call's consensus estimate of $.05 per diluted share. The Company's third quarter 2001 net income, excluding special items, was $82.8 million, or $.10 per diluted share.

Special Items

Pursuant to the Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act (Act), which was enacted following last year's terrorist attacks, the Company recognized $48 million and $169 million as "Other gains" in its Condensed Consolidated Statements of Income for third quarter 2002 and 2001, respectively.

Third quarter 2001 results also included special charges of approximately $58 million arising from the September 11 attacks. The prior year charges included a $30 million reduction in "Passenger revenue" resulting from estimated refunds of nonrefundable fares; $15 million in charges to "Other operating expenses" for write-downs of various assets due to impairment; and other charges that were included in "Other (gains) losses, net."

"Following September 11, 2001, Southwest's fleet growth slowed considerably. As we continue to cautiously resume our growth plans, we have accelerated delivery of one 2003 and two 2004 Boeing 737-700 aircraft to fourth quarter 2002. We have also exercised two future options for accelerated delivery to fourth quarter 2002 and four future options for accelerated delivery to 2003. These changes bring our total planned deliveries for 2002 to 23; 2003 to 17; and future commitments, including options and purchase rights, to 396 aircraft for 2004 through 2012.

"Southwest announced today that additional service will be added to our existing route system during fourth quarter 2002 and first quarter 2003. In addition to introducing new nonstop service between Baltimore/Washington and San Jose, we plan to add additional frequencies between Baltimore/Washington and Orlando, Birmingham, Fort Lauderdale, Manchester, Hartford, and Tampa.

:D

Finally, something of a good post

I really like those last two paragraphs.

Slug

Patiently waiting

Slug,
Did you spend any time over at NWA?

Do you know the way to San Jose?

Accelerated deliveries, exercised options, new service... music to my ears!

If I read this correctly they are getting 5 new 737 in the 4Q - does anyone know if they are retiring any -200's in the 4Q or will this be all growth? About 50 pilots should equal 2 new classes IF they are trying to maintain the current manning levels. Of course, they took 4 deliveries in Aug-Sep and only ran one class to cover it so they may try to keep increasing the flight-crew utilization.

Either way, this is great news!

On an unrelated note, how hard is it to get from SJC to OAK?

T1bubba
future BWI-OAK commuter

T1, just get a car and drive :)

Now as for the airplanes, I'm all confused now. In plain English, could someone explain how many airplanes they have recieved/are getting in 2002 vs the previous expectations, and again the same question for 2003. Up until now, I was under the assumption that they were pretty much done for this year, and next year was to be about 8 airplanes of growth (14 700's - 6 200's = 8).

What is it now? Anyone?
Tred, you may have to cough up the beer soon.

PT, I'm hoping I won't be based in OAK long enough to buy a car!

As far as the aircraft go, the release only talks about deliveries and doesn't mention the -200 retirements. But it looks like deliveries have increased by 5 for 2002 and 3 for 2003.

I concur. I just listened to the webcast, and here's what I got:
5 more airplanes for this year,
17 new deliveries (up from 14) for '03, - the 6 200's, = 11 net new airplanes next year.
5+11=16 new airplanes between now and next year.
At 11 pilots per airplane, figuring in 57 retirements, I'm guessing there will be 233 new Kool-Aid drinking pilots by the end of '03.
Now, this still won't drain the whole pool, but it sure does help.
I'm all for good news.
And with that, T1, you are right. If you multiply your rank of 26 by the PT poolie factor of 1.4979, you will be in the second class. With a steady influx behind you, you won't be in OAK for long.
Most of the expansion is coming to BWI anyway. :)

"If you multiply your rank by the PT poolie factor of 1.4979"

Nice formula PT.

This means I could be in the shallow end by the end 2003. I will take whatever I can get. Thanks for the post Maynard.:)

When will Interviews Start...

So with this breath of fresh air and some good news when will they (SWA) start working on the stack of qualified candidates they have been mailing letters to ???

"Krunch"

Latest resources

Back