• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

3rd Qtr. Earnings at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyway you look it this it is GREAT NEWS!! Whether they fill those airplanes with new trainees or if they use current employees, it means company growth. I think all of us would be wrong if we said that they could fill this many aircraft without training at least one class late this year or early next year.

Bake

Hey Guys, for what it's worth:
There seems to be a lot of open time in OAK, and a lot of junior manning going on. I can't say about the other domiciles, but OAK seems to be short on FO's.
Good luck!!

HELP!!! This Air Math is killing me.

"If you multiply your rank by the PT poolie factor of 1.4979"

You dudes are Scaring me with this Math stuff. Since I am #138 on the unofficial list I called Lindsey Lang and asked her if there would be a chance I would start before Mid-June 03. She said, “Probably not.” So I asked her if it would be ok if I took a Math teaching job at a School in a Low Income area, and that I felt it was only right to commit to teach there only if I taught the rest of the school year till Mid June. She said, "Good on you, go for it."

I was told today by the principle that I would be teaching Algebra I to 8th graders. Then I saw your math equation and thought to myself, "Algebra I, Man I am having a hard time understanding PT’s math Calculations."

Are anyone's kids out there doing Algebra, can I pay to have them Tutor me via the Internet.

When I applied for the Job, I thought: "All I have to do is stay one day ahead of these kids."

To get from Oak to SJC you can take the BART..

All you need to do is take a short cab ride to the station..I would not however be caught on the landing at OAK station at night unless I was in a group or armed..IMHO..

As for classes/interviews..

Greg Crum has been recently quoted as saying not to expect any new hiring until after April 2003..The continued caution is being blamed on so far what has been horrible bookings in the 4thQ of 2002..

As for aircraft numbers..The company can take aircraft from Boeing and park them in the desert or replace out going 200s at will..Im not to sure we can consider the revised delivery numbers to be of great importance..Yet..

It is however interesting that they are painting a picture of doom and gloom and accelerating aircraft deliveries at the same time..

SWA has always taken advantage of soft markets to expand their route structure..This would be a classic move on their part if they were to suddenly turn on the fire hose of expansion..

The only problem I see is that what ever they do it takes six weeks of lead time to put FOs in the newly purchased 700s..To suddenly start classes again in this market would be a strong indicator of bigger plans in the near future..

IMHO 2003 is going to be a banner year for expansion when you consider the possibilitys avalible in the northeast alone..

It may be a bit soon to break out the Wild Turkey...But I wouldnt think it would be a bad idea to stock up...Just in case..

The extra planes in Q4 is great news boys... I hope you swimmers remember where you left your towels.

I just listened to part of the webcast, here are some other highlights...

Delivery schedule as of 10/17/02
2002 4Q - 5
2003 1Q - 1
2Q - 4
3Q - 6
4Q - 6
but the situation is "dynamic"

The new BWI-SJC route will start in Jan, the additional frequencies from BWI will start in Dec and Jan.

No change in the long-term growth plan. Well positioned to accelerate growth if the economy improves.

Looking to decrease the number of employees per aircraft, mentioned that flight operations had hired last quarter not knowing what the aircraft delivery schedule would be.

Load factors on the new transcons have been "extraordinarily strong" , so they're adding another.

As always, everything is subject to change.

4Q Bookings

I stopped by the Oklahoma Reservation Center (ORC) on 30 Sept & spoke to people in the know. They predicted then we would show a profit. What was most interesting though is that bookings for 4Q were looking more favorable than they were merely 2 weeks earlier. The trend was definitely upward. Not necesarily rocketing to the moon but on an upward trend.

SWA management has always taken a very cautious outlook toward predicting the future earnings of the company when speaking to investors or the public. Now is no different. We are 50% less than last year at this time but there were also two good months in 4Q'01 results that this this past qtr didn't have. Loads were good for a mid-week all Texas trip I flew earlier this week. Hang in there, we'll turn the corner soon I'm hopeful.

cheers,

From the 10/17/02 Press Release

Southwest Airlines Co.
Boeing 737-700 Delivery Schedule

Prior Schedule | Current Schedule
Firm / Options*| Firm / Options*

2002..... 18/ -- | 23/ --
2003..... 14/ -- | 17/ --
2004..... 23/ 13 | 21/ 13
2005..... 24/ 20 | 24/ 18
2006..... 22/ 20 | 22/ 16
2007..... 25/ 29 | 25/ 29