30 year Career: US Legacies vs Emirates/Qatar/Ethiad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So who's more experienced:

A 3000 hour RJ FO who flight instructed, got hired at 1500 hours and now flies for a US regional airline

or

A 3000 hour B-777 or heavy 'bus FO with Etihad or Emirates who started there as a cadet with 200 hours?

This is kind of like asking...which came first...the chicken or the egg.

Both ways seem to work just fine. There are some minor differences. Until you observe both types of training/experience models with an open mind, you will always think that your way is the right way.

This is kind of like asking...which came first...the chicken or the egg.

Both ways seem to work just fine. There are some minor differences. Until you observe both types of training/experience models with an open mind, you will always think that your way is the right way.

That's exactly my point. Up until I left the US to fly abroad, I was convinced that the US way was the only right way.

Right now, I fly with mostly European or local FO's who tend to be highly competent, good pilots, good decision-makers, but only have like 3000 hours. Ironically, most of the European guys started flying Boeings with 200-300 hours, and I'd have no qualms putting my family onboard their plane.

So who's more experienced:

A 3000 hour RJ FO who flight instructed, got hired at 1500 hours and now flies for a US regional airline

or

A 3000 hour B-777 or heavy 'bus FO with Etihad or Emirates who started there as a cadet with 200 hours?

Depends on the job. If you're going to fly for Southwest or Hawaiian on inter-Island then id say the former. If you're going to work for FedEx, a legacy into a wide body or flying a GV then is say the latter.

sadly as the posted above noted however there are too many HR depts that value experience far less that "who you know" or what your demographic is.

Depends on the job. If you're going to fly for Southwest or Hawaiian on inter-Island then id say the former. If you're going to work for FedEx, a legacy into a wide body or flying a GV then is say the latter.

sadly as the posted above noted however there are too many HR depts that value experience far less that "who you know" or what your demographic is.

I know a turboprop only Captain who went to right seat of a 747 classic at a cargo airline here in the US. It all depends. Fortunately, airlines usually don't care about what turbine your turbine time is. Jet or turboprop, unless a job requires specific hours in a specific type (like 500 hrs jet PIC).

This discussion is not unique to this industry. In most industries Europeans will have more years of and more in depth education than Americans. In Denmark you must apprentice for year before you can be a waiter. Americans will have more 'on the job training' and experience. In occupations that require time critical and independent decision making skills the scales tilt towards experience. Flying requires very little of that any more so the scales are tilting towards education - and as little of it as possible. Look at the ICAO multi crew pilot license and two pilot flight decks. The days of being on your own after you call 'gear up' are long gone.

I know a turboprop only Captain who went to right seat of a 747 classic at a cargo airline here in the US. It all depends. Fortunately, airlines usually don't care about what turbine your turbine time is. Jet or turboprop, unless a job requires specific hours in a specific type (like 500 hrs jet PIC).

A lot of guys did that in the 90's when regionals were mostly turbo props and the major US carriers were hiring. No one wanted go to the ACMI carriers so there were plenty of opportunities for that.

Much more impressive is going from the left seat of a CRJ at a US regional directly to the left seat of a wide body for an international passenger carrier. Now - thats stretching.

Much more impressive is going from the left seat of a CRJ at a US regional directly to the left seat of a wide body for an international passenger carrier. Now - thats stretching.

Not as difficult as you might think, of course it depends on what kind of experience you had to begin with, but there have been many guys with 10,000+ hours and plenty of command time in several types of commercial jets that have done just that.

My first jet was a DC10. I'd never flown anything bigger or more complex than a Jetstream 41 before that.

Try to keep your seniority number back home if you can. Working for Emirates is fun but I sure wouldn't want to spend 25-35 years here. It's a good place to wait out a furlough or save some money the last 10 years of your career. Some can enjoy a career here but others might struggle.

Dubai can get old. You can only go to the mall so many times. Everything and I mean everything here is based on commerce. It costs money to go to the park. Some people love it others go crazy...Just make sure you do your homework before giving up a SWA number.

I've been happy here but I have an escape route lined up if things go south. Oh and be prepared to discover that all pilots from the USA are worthless aviators. We can't follow SOP's, don't follow proper RT, and are generally poor aircraft operators...lol You need a thick skin!

Spot on. Been in Dubai a total of 11 years and don't know about sticking around another 25. Those who've kept their seniority at a legacy are sitting pretty. I can't say I was quite that lucky, however, I can say that when I got hired by EK it couldn't have come at a better time. EK has served me and the family well, but do I want to retire one day knowing I've spent half my life in the Middle East and this is all my kids know? Let's just say I'm considering all future options and am keeping an eye on the US market.

Latest resources

Back