• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

30 in 7 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJPilott and DoinTime are both correct. If you begin your day and are SCHEDULED to fly 29.9 hours in the previous 7 days, and for some reason go over block during ANY of your legs that day, you are still LEGAL to finish flying that day. So in essence, your buddy is the correct one. I wish that I could have been taken off legs the last day for all the times that I have been over block with 30/7 problems, but it doesn't happen that way!

if you are scheduled for 29.9 hours in a 7 day period, and then you go over on any day except the last you would be over 30 in 7 and could not finish the trip. They could DH your butt on one leg to get you back on sched.

Example: your schedule is 6 days in a row at exactly 5 hours per day for 6 days. Day 3 you take 5.5 hours to do the trip. You are now in 30/7 trouble. The company must make up that .5 by removing you from flying duties for that same .5 in order for you to finish up your 6th day.

ALPA publishes a great reference book that answers all these issues, ie 30/7 can be exceeded. call your local LEC rep to get a copy and keep it with you in your flight kit as you will need it.

Yes it can be exceeded but only on the last day of said trip in my previous example by delays ect. You can not be scheduled to exceed the 30/7

I dont even know why Im responding to this post, because it has already been answered about 8 different times...but basicly...I think of it like this. There are two time you turn into a pumpkin...if you go over your 16 hour duty day...or if you dont start your comp rest with in 24 hours of the start of your reduced rest. I believe thats how it works. Everything else..ie 30/7(34/7) in some cases...can be exceded under all conditions mentioned in the posts above. Feel free to rip me apart as needed. :) Im always down for learning.

Last edited:
Wow I really wasnt expecting all of these answers so soon. Thats the great thing about flightinfo. You can find out anything. Well I guess its a good thing we didn't bet beer on deal cause I'd be out a case.

8 between rest periods, 30/7, 100/month, 1000/year are ALL legal to start legal to finish. That is basic 121 regs

8 hours scheduled for a duty period is "legal to start legal to finish"

30/7, 100/month, 1000/year has to be calculated using the time that you've actually flown plus the time that you are scheduled to fly. It is calculated on a daily basis.

If you are scheduled for 100 hrs in a month and you fly over the scheduled time every day, you would not be legal to finish the month.

On a side note, in general regionals have such poor work rules that you need to be an expert in order to not get violated. Airlines with good work rules, the language is clear and restrictive enough that they don't have to worry about violating the FAR's

Carl_Spackler said:
On a side note, in general regionals have such poor work rules that you need to be an expert in order to not get violated. Airlines with good work rules, the language is clear and restrictive enough that they don't have to worry about violating the FAR's

So I guess since the multiple round of concessions at these "real" arilines, and now that their work rules are generally the same or worse than the regionals, that all pilots should now be concerned.

I'm surprised how many current 121 pilots don't understand these rule. Legal to start / Legal to finish DOES apply to 30/7 100/month and 1000/year and it goes on a day by day basis. If you are legal to start the day then you are legal to finish it. The only thing that goes leg by leg is your max duty period and your 24 hour lookback window to find legal rest.

Latest resources

Back