• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

30 in 7 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are legal to start the day then you are legal to finish it.

As long as you stay on the original pairing. If you are rerouted, then it is recomputed.

Carl_Spackler said:
8 hours scheduled for a duty period is "legal to start legal to finish"

30/7, 100/month, 1000/year has to be calculated using the time that you've actually flown plus the time that you are scheduled to fly. It is calculated on a daily basis.

No, Carl. It is still "legal to start, legal to finish." It just doesn't take effect until the duty period that will put you over. But it is still legal to start, legal to finish.

Go read the regs.

At ASA the company and contract wont let scheduling schedule you for more than 27.5 in 7 days. This is a buffer for the 30/7. I don't believe the legal to start legal to finish has to do with the day, it's leg based. You can't get half way through a 4 leg day with 28 hrs and start a round trip that is over 2 hours scheduled for the round trip. But if you were legal to start the leg and get held in flight then you can exceed the 30.

You can't get half way through a 4 leg day with 28 hrs and start a round trip that is over 2 hours scheduled for the round trip. But if you were legal to start the leg and get held in flight then you can exceed the 30.

It is truly scary how many people currently flying 121 don't have a clue what the regs say...

By the way.... what you wrote... WRONG

GO AROUND said:
At ASA the company and contract wont let scheduling schedule you for more than 27.5 in 7 days. This is a buffer for the 30/7. I don't believe the legal to start legal to finish has to do with the day, it's leg based. You can't get half way through a 4 leg day with 28 hrs and start a round trip that is over 2 hours scheduled for the round trip. But if you were legal to start the leg and get held in flight then you can exceed the 30.

What an IDIOT. And this guy is a Captain. SCARY! Get a clue you dumba$$. You couldn't be more wrong. This is Indoc 101 crap that even the Gulfstream punks know.

Legal to start Legat to finish...period. not very complicated unless you mind f$ck it to death. Its about scheduling and duty times...not flight time.

Here is the answer to the questions:

Yes legal to start legal to finish on the last duty day only. Exceed that on any day before and flying must be pulled. Usually for me crew scheduling would pull a nice round trip in the middle of my sequence rather than the end and leave me with multiple hours of airport appreciation time as I wait to rejoin my schedule.

The most frequently asked questions concerning the application of the yearly, monthly and
weekly flight time limitations are posed in the following examples:

Q-1. A flight crew member is scheduled to fly five hours per day for six days.
Prior to starting the schedule on the sixth day, the flight time has been
extended by two hours due to weather. Is the crewmember “legal” to begin
the last day’s scheduled flight knowing that he/she will exceed 30 hours of
flight time before completing the flight schedule?

A-1. No, the crewmember may not complete all of the scheduled flights
on the sixth day since he/she would be scheduled to exceed 30 hours
of flight within seven consecutive days. However, the crewmember
may fly a portion of the schedule up to 30 hours, or be rescheduled
to fly up to 30 hours, which in this example would allow the carrier
to schedule the crewmember for three hours of flight on the sixth
day.

Q-2. A flight crewmember is scheduled to fly five hours each day for six days
and has met the schedule for the first five days. During the first flight of this
series-of-flights on the sixth day the pilot exceeds his/her schedule by one
hour due to an ATC delay. Is the crewmember “legal” to complete the
schedule knowing that he/she will exceed the 30-hour flight time limit?

A-2. Yes. In this example when the crewmember began the last day of
the scheduled series-of-flights, he/she was legally scheduled and
could complete the flights and not exceed 30 hours. Because the
delay was caused by circumstances beyond the control of the air
carrier, FAR 121.471(g) provides the necessary relief to exceed 30
hours in this circumstance.

Last edited:
The guys in OKC don't care about all the legal to start legal to finish what nots. If you have a documented exceedence your in trouble. What some of you are suggesting is that...Jan 1st I'm not scheduled to fly more than 1000 hours this year, in fact I've only got on month scheduled for 90 hrs. I must be legal to fly the rest of the year no matter what huh? So you flew 1500 hrs in a year? Try explaining that to the administrative judge in OKC. Don't go over 30/7 or 34/7 100/year 120/yr what ever part you fall under. Just some advice from the guys in OKC, take or leave it.

Latest resources

Back