• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2 -v- 1 (close call with a Viper)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about this...Lt Viper Driver show some discipline while playing war games and not execute a 180 to intercept an non participating aircraft? What a concept! I guess they don't teach that in ROTC?

And by definition, a MOA is not closed airspace. There was nothing illegal about the two aircraft transiting the airspace.

It all will be as soon as some self rightous jackoff transits through "because he can", gets shwacked, and we kill several people.

If ATC doesn't send IFR traffic through a hot MOA, maybe you should reconsider going through VFR. Don't give me that see and avoid lecture either ... when engaged in a fight with 3-8 other jets my brain power is all but at max capacity already, and under 7G's.

Before I joined the Air Force, as a civilian I used to fly Cessnas through MOAs all the time VFR...because I could, and it was a big shortcut.

Then I started flying in the military in those MOAs and experienced first hand the types of operations going on in there. That's when I realized what an idiot I was before.

It's a REALLY dumbass plan to fly VFR through a MOA. It's just a tragedy waiting to happen.

How about this...Lt Viper Driver show some discipline while playing war games and not execute a 180 to intercept an non participating aircraft? What a concept! I guess they don't teach that in ROTC?

And by definition, a MOA is not closed airspace. There was nothing illegal about the two aircraft transiting the airspace.

Uh, that would be UPT, not ROTC... ROTC is in college, UPT is pilot training... Even then intercept training would probably be in the follow on training to UPT.

For some of us in certain fields like aerial firefighting, and for those in EMS flying, we do not really have the luxury of steering around MOAs.

For some of us in certain fields like aerial firefighting, and for those in EMS flying, we do not really have the luxury of steering around MOAs.

Aerial firefighting VFR at 17,500...holy crap you must be really good!!! ;) I kid, I kid.

Most likely Capt or Maj Viper Driver! I sounds like he had some good discipline, he called a KIO and stopped the engagement to wait on a VFR aircraft to transition. It looks as if he stayed "well clear" of the civilian aircraft.

Not illegal at all, just not that smart when it is active. As I have said before if you trade paint with me in a MOA, I have a better chance of making it out alive than you. So your family gets the bad news and I go home that night all because "you had the right to be there."

Granted, no argument there. There are acceptable levels of increased risk we all must take periodically.

Most likely Capt or Maj Viper Driver! I sounds like he had some good discipline, he called a KIO and stopped the engagement to wait on a VFR aircraft to transition. It looks as if he stayed "well clear" of the civilian aircraft.

Well, Lt Viper Driver was the only thing that caused the situation in the MOA, he executed a 180 to intercept the civillian, flew his wing for a while, and then executed another 180 to continue his original course. There was no conflict until he created one. He was reprimanded, the USAF is changing its policy on flights in MOA's, and the civillian didn't even get the transmission to call the controlling agency. It already looks like the USAF has admitted errors in operations, and is changing those operations. The military does not own the MOA's, they are joint use.

Should have shot him down on principle alone. Just kidding.

I can't tell you how many times I went through MOA's that were active. Most of the ones were locally controlled so you could talk to the military controllers on VHF. Never saw it as a problem as long as you talked to them.

Well, Lt Viper Driver was the only thing that caused the situation in the MOA, he executed a 180 to intercept the civillian, flew his wing for a while, and then executed another 180 to continue his original course. There was no conflict until he created one. He was reprimanded, the USAF is changing its policy on flights in MOA's, and the civillian didn't even get the transmission to call the controlling agency. It already looks like the USAF has admitted errors in operations, and is changing those operations. The military does not own the MOA's, they are joint use.

You obviously know d1ck about what really goes on in a MOA, so why don't you just stop talking?

I used to fly through MOA's VFR all the time when I was civilian. I always had flight following and I'd say the majority of the time ATC would let me know if the MOA was in use. Knowing what I know now, I realize there would've been absolutely no way I could see/avoid the kinds of dynamic maneuvering the military does in a MOA. Knowing what I know now, I would excercise a bit more diligence during my preflight as to whether or not MOA's I would be transiting are active and at what altitudes. As the planes I flew got bigger/faster/flew higher, I would make every opportunity to get out of a MOA as fast as reasonably possible while IFR to help everybody out. Anybody flying that high VFR through an active MOA is frigain retarded, enough said.

Latest resources

Back