• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MIL Pilot: You want MOA access?
CIV Pilot: I think I'm entitled to it.
MIL Pilot: You want access?
CIV Pilot: I want the truth!
MIL Pilot: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has MOAs. And those MOAs have to be flown by men with F-16s. Who's gonna do it? You, Pilatus? You, Beech Premier? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep responding to TCAS RAs and you curse the awesome F-16. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that at M .95, while tragic, I can’t see jack in a MOA. And my shadowing, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, waste tax dollars...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at FBO pilot lounges, you want me on that MOA. You need me on that MOA.
We use words like our airspace, we rock, civilians suck...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a democratic society that rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you strap on a F-16 and fly a MOA. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
CIV Pilot: Did you fantasize shooting down the Pilatus?
MIL Pilot: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.
CIV Pilot: Did you get a woodie?
MIL Pilot: You're goddamn right I did!!

I know they have nothing to do with one another. Just like the book you recommended probably has nothing to do with this situation. You are making a big insinuation for somebody not in the know, not there, or anyway connected to the incident. Aside of all that, your post was well written and actually activated a few neurons in my brain. But I still recommend my book! Just read it again this last weekend!

Probably has nothing to do with? I made no insinuations by recommending this book, much less "pretty big" ones. And I reckon I know about as much as everyone else who's posted 9 pages worth of crap here. If knowing all the facts prevented people from posting their opinions, then this place would be pretty boring. I'll keep an eye out for that book...

MIL Pilot: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has MOAs. And those MOAs have to be flown by men with F-16s. Who's gonna do it? You, Pilatus? You, Beech Premier? I.............

You should've quit while you were ahead. Your previous posts were somewhat well thought out and rational. This one just exposes your true colors. And zero points for originality, btw.

Probably has nothing to do with? I made no insinuations by recommending this book, much less "pretty big" ones. And I reckon I know about as much as everyone else who's posted 9 pages worth of crap here. If knowing all the facts prevented people from posting their opinions, then this place would be pretty boring. I'll keep an eye out for that book...

Maybe I misunderstood your above post, but you seemed to crucify the F-16 pilot and then recommend a book about dangerous hot-shot pilots. Maybe it was not your intention, but the way you structured your argument seemed to insinuate the F-16 pilot was a dangerous hot-shot.
I look at things like this: if some Pilatus pilot, who cannot tell 10 feet from 600 feet complains about me, I would appreciate my brothers in arms (those you refer to as pros) to give me the benefit of the doubt until the facts are known. Now, if you want to spin the story and turn me into some dangerous hot-shot to spice up Flight Info then that is a whole different ball of wax. If the facts come out that this guy F'd up then fire away and we all learn something.

MIL Pilot: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has MOAs. And those MOAs have to be flown by men with F-16s. Who's gonna do it? You, Pilatus? You, Beech Premier? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep responding to TCAS RAs and you curse the awesome F-16. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that at M .95, while tragic, I can’t see jack in a MOA. And my shadowing, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, waste tax dollars...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at FBO pilot lounges, you want me on that MOA. You need me on that MOA.
We use words like our airspace, we rock, civilians suck...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a democratic society that rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you strap on a F-16 and fly a MOA. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Awseome!!! GOT ME LAUGHING BIG TIME!

That my friend, was funny ! ! !

And aerial mapping and surveying

We actually check to see if fire-fighting or other aerial events are going on before we start work in a MOA or low level route. As far as aerial mapping and surveying, you have ample time before hand to check and see if a MOA is active and then proceed with the knowledge of what you might encounter. Its all planning. If you fail to plan then you might get surprised like the Pilatus guy.

Latest resources

Back