• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1st year pay at CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I actually turned them down after being hired. I couldn't justify leaving a good job here, for that piece of doo doo contract. In my opinion in won't get any better there, but hey, that is just me... LOL
No, you didn't turn them down, you failed the interview. You know you did. Grow up and quit telling your F/O's (and everyone else who is forced to listen) that you "turned down CAL to stay at ExJet because the contract is SOOOO much better". :rolleyes:

No one believes you. Not even your F/O's. They're lying so you'll shut up. Trust me on this one.

You're giving a bad name to every late-20's chick that is out there busting their butts to be seen as an equal by their peers in aviation. Quit your b*tching, have a hot cup of STFU, reapply, or just stay off the CAL threads. D*mn...

And please let me know if you ever have an interview coming up at AAI; I'll be certain JD (who reads this forum) has a look at your posts before she calls you for the interview.

p.s. You're crazy about GUM. From another thread, only ONE F/O slot available. I bet money that if it goes to a new-hire class, it'll go senior. 2nd year pay and flying in the Pacific Islands would certainly be worth it for me, but I'm a Diving fanatic... To each their own.

Last edited:
Um, don't worry. I doubt that very many CAL people WANT to go to Guam. If it makes you feel better to think that, then cool beans, but I think most people don't want to go there. :rolleyes:

There you go again, quoting something that you nothing about. Why don't you just shut up about things you are not qualified to talk about?

The most Jr. CA on island is a '90 hire; only the bottom 30 F/O's (out of 68) are '05 to '07 hires.

Fully 75% bid to be there. Dumb a$$..

No, you didn't turn them down, you failed the interview. You know you did. Grow up and quit telling your F/O's (and everyone else who is forced to listen) that you "turned down CAL to stay at ExJet because the contract is SOOOO much better". :rolleyes:

No one believes you. Not even your F/O's. They're lying so you'll shut up. Trust me on this one.

You're giving a bad name to every late-20's chick that is out there busting their butts to be seen as an equal by their peers in aviation. Quit your b*tching, have a hot cup of STFU, reapply, or just stay off the CAL threads. D*mn...

And please let me know if you ever have an interview coming up at AAI; I'll be certain JD (who reads this forum) has a look at your posts before she calls you for the interview.

p.s. You're crazy about GUM. From another thread, only ONE F/O slot available. I bet money that if it goes to a new-hire class, it'll go senior. 2nd year pay and flying in the Pacific Islands would certainly be worth it for me, but I'm a Diving fanatic... To each their own.

Well said. I don't claim to be an expert, but every single immature, giggly post I've seen from Pocono has been painful and insulting to read. Maybe she'll get the hint at some point. If I was the Women's Aviation Museum, I'd make her remove their link from her signature. She does a terrible disservice to that institution's proud heritage.

Last edited:
Um, don't worry. I doubt that very many CAL people WANT to go to Guam. If it makes you feel better to think that, then cool beans, but I think most people don't want to go there. :rolleyes:

There you go expressing your ignorance again.

GUM slots are coveted over here and usually, when the rare one is available to a new-hire class, it goes to the more senior folks.

I bet you have one of those shirts that says "If these were brains I'd be a genius."

There are off-line instructors making $150K+ at XJT. The money's out there, just depends on what you want to put up with in terms of QOL in order to get it. I would rather spend the next 5 years in the training dept here than go to CAL/UAL/NWA, but I am doing neither because life ain't all about money.

I agree. The only reason you ever hear people use to justify CAL is the potential money down the road. I agree with you, I'd rather make a decent living at a place I'm proud to work for than have a crappy contract with no days off for the hope of better pay.

I am used to getting bashed by the CAL guys on here, so I don't take it personally. It is always from the same few guys.

The fact is, that nobody I carry around in the jumpseat is happy at CAL.

I agree. The only reason you ever hear people use to justify CAL is the potential money down the road. I agree with you, I'd rather make a decent living at a place I'm proud to work for than have a crappy contract with no days off for the hope of better pay.

yep. no days off. none. been at CAL for just over a year and enjoying a horrible schedule. i'm also struggling to pay for Ramen noodles.

if you don't know what you're talking about then it's best not to speak of it.

keep dusting off the gear handle at Express and bashing CAL. at least you'll entertain the rest of us.

now i think i'll take a nap before i return to work in several days for another easy trip in a nice plane with a good crew.

life is hard...especially if you talk yourself into your own misery.

yep. no days off. none. been at CAL for just over a year and enjoying a horrible schedule. i'm also struggling to pay for Ramen noodles.

if you don't know what you're talking about then it's best not to speak of it.

keep dusting off the gear handle at Express and bashing CAL. at least you'll entertain the rest of us.

now i think i'll take a nap before i return to work in several days for another easy trip in a nice plane with a good crew.

life is hard...especially if you talk yourself into your own misery.

c'mon now........good crew? You must be on the 73.

There are off-line instructors making $150K+ at XJT. The money's out there, just depends on what you want to put up with in terms of QOL in order to get it. I would rather spend the next 5 years in the training dept here than go to CAL/UAL/NWA, but I am doing neither because life ain't all about money.

AND

That's retarded thinking, man. I've done the whole Trng Dept thing. After you get over the honeymoon of a new job in teaching (about a year) its like watching the paint dry in the sim day-in, day-out... enough to drive you to the edge. The only way I kept my sanity was to pepper my sim trng assignments with line flying and aircraft trng flights.And the guys making $150K/ yr... believe me, they deserve it. To pull in that kind of quan at XJT you're down to 6-8 days off per month and pulling doubles (two training sessions a day) a few days per month as well. You just can't work like that forever.

Pls don't misconstrue my comments as negativity for the joba s isntructor. I really enjoyed giving 110% for all my students. But that's just the problem. In order to be effective teaching 500 hr pilots, you have to give it your all. Keeping up that level of enthusiasm very day can be exhausting.

I don't know how some guys do it for 20+ years (although it sure was nice to be home every night) but hey, to each his own. Go ahead and try it. You'll find yourself wishing you had a way to get off the drug (the money/ the overtime) within the first year. But the pay hit will be so severe you'll just keep going. I personally think only experienced line pilot should be checkairman and then they should only be able to sim teach for 4-5 years to maintain QC for the overall product (the successful student).

Besides, the present environment at XJT won't last forever. When it the music stops, offline trng dept guys will do about $100K due to no OT. Still a respectable income. But for those who got too use to the buck-and-a-half juice, it will be a big enough pay hit when the time comes to actually hurt.

At the end of the day, nearly every major airline pilot in America had to take huge pay cuts and start all over to, well, start all over at a major. The pay-off is supposedly a better ticket to the dance. We'll see if that plays out to fruition. But any way you slice it, if you want to make more money in this career you'll have to leave the regionals and take that pay hit some day. Its really a case of taking the hit now, or 3-5 years down the road. Glad I got it out of the way. It was truly painful (and still is).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back