• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

135 Scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We are not talking 48K; we are talking that 100K is a very doable number in this business. And you can do it without 100K in college loan debt. 100K is above 95% of the income in the US. It is a great paying job, you can own a house, own a couple cars and still save for retirement, I know because I have done it, and I have never made more than the magic 100K. Only on this site would 100K be sneered at as a poverty wage.

From someone who tried to live a STABLE and SECURE life, counting on my employer being there for me as long as I wanted to be there for them and expecting a quality of life (and level of respect) that resembled that of most professions, I have to stand by the public service workers who have retired, taken their pensions, and taken a job with a 135 outfit. Listen people, let's face it, working for MOST 135 ops is not stable nor respectful, nor most of all secure. Can you count on them being there for you for the nest 25 years?Probably not. Can you count on them honoring your days off and payscale/promotion rights? Probably not. Can you count on your PENSION or matching 401K from your 135 op employer? Probably not. Can you count on your 135 op employer getting you home for your Anniversary or daughter's birthday as promised? Probably not. Can you count on them having you home "as promised" to be an integral part of the birth of your first child? Probably not.

I write this as someone who LEFT the full time career world of 135 ops and joined the stable ranks of Public Safety, with a pension, Collective Bargaining Agreement, job security, and quality of life. Do I miss the cockpit and all I sacrificed to get there, of course, but it is a TOY I had to give up.

To all the Public Service professionals who are "on the job" moonlighting Part time or Post Retirement with a 135 op.... Nice Choice.

Remember gentlemen, this site is to spark conversation on ALL sides of the topics. Perhaps I bring to you a slightly different persepctive. I am all for raising the bar for the profession and equating it to the lifestyle mentioned above. It's a long time coming, however.

People are not Martyrs. They will not sacrifice taking on a part time job for the sole purpose of sustaining your views on improving the industry. They will do it b/cthey can. Remember, more than any other branch of service in this industry (i.e. scheduled union groups) it is every man for himself in this forum and branch of service.

Be safe.

And for the record, I do miss my Marriott points and good eats ;-)

Exaustgas, as an ex 135 pilot you can see the dilemna some of the long time 135 pilots face. A good deal of pilots use 135 jobs as a stepping stone to bigger and brighter jobs. continuity is not an easy objective to strive for, but i think it is an integral part of our business. if it was every man for himself ( like it is in some companies) what do you think the turnover would be at that company let alone the morale? by having a stable workforce that is well managed helps alleviate turnover to a more manageable aspect. Pay and respect are two of the biggest tangents in keeping attrition low. Attrition is a constant factor in our indusry, however managed properly, most costs will be minimized.
While i don't know your buddies moonlighting in the 135 biz, part tme help is crucial to some companies for vacations, training etc. I just hope they are not whoring themselves out to the lowest bidder. If they are, i have no respect for them and would do whatever i could to keep them out of my organization.

hawkerjet said:
Apples and oranges Tyro. The aircraft has nothing to do with the equation. As long as he is coming to work for the same amount of money that the current Cappy makes. The problem I have is.... " if he wanted to fly senecas for less, than the other seneca pilots were making."

Logically consistent argument. Have to agree.

Hadn't thought of economics in quite this light before, learned something.

Hope things work out.

We have a couple retired airline guys flying 135 in our king airs. We fly them 2 pilots and I had a co captin show up for a charter flihgt in a tie and colored shirt. We got our uniforms a few weeks back and I told him this is a charter flight. He mumbled some excuse and said do you really think i care cuz I dont car. What an a$$hole. He is loves dodging responibilities and his favorite excuse is I didnt know or I didnt thinkof that. I hate it.Last thing I must vent about is.... He never puts the seat back and all the way down to aid in getting in the airplane and leaves his used airplugs in the side pocket.

hawkerjet said:
While i don't know your buddies moonlighting in the 135 biz, part tme help is crucial to some companies for vacations, training etc. I just hope they are not whoring themselves out to the lowest bidder.

It is possible to do things right. I am a 135 moonlighter (day job: college professor). I started as a CFI in 1993, making the same as everyone else, even though I could afford to do it for free. I got students by being a better CFI. Moved into 135 flying with the same company, getting the same pay as everyone else. As a partt-imer, I didn't advance as quickly as others, but eventually it was time to move up to the King Air, and the company paid for the training (same as everyone else) and I get the same pay as everyone else (actually, I get a little more because I have some administrative responsibilities).

What do I get out of this? First, I love to fly, and I believe that I am good at it. I like the other pilots, I like our customers, I like our office staff, I like our mechanics, and I like the airplanes. Second, once they call you "daddy" you never have enough money; I almost feel that it would be irresponsible not to have a second job, even though my first job pays quite well. While my buddies are out fishing and skiing, I am often at work.

What did the company get? Stability has to top the list. Dozens of pilots have come and gone, but I am still here, teaching our new guys how we do things. Also, I am willing (even eager) to cover unusual times (many many shifts covering our air ambulance, for example).

Flame me if you like...but I am not whoring myself and the company is not taking advantage of me. I am not taking a job from someone else. I earn that money.

Mach8Forest, I understand that the pilots this thread is talking about are not scabs.... My very first words on this thread was looking for a different word to describe their actions and to see how widespread the problem was.As for the analogy for the rich kid getting subsidized by his parents, you have one flaw. First i don't care how wealthy his parents are and that they give him lot's of money. What i care about is that his pay check is the same as everyone elses when he starts, period..I am guessing you're an airline guy based on the aircraft you have listed in your profile. your field is very different from mine in that you have quite a bit of uniformity. A more accurate analogy for you would be if i came in to your company and wanted to be a 747 captain right away and would offer to do so at, say $60,000. While this scenario is probably not likely to happen in the big carriers, that's what it feels like to me. so i'll do what i can to abate the problem..

Hawkerjet,
I am both 135 and 121. Just did not want to list all the props as it is extensive. As for your scab analogy in my workplace thats exactly what the APA did do.
Mach8Forest

Latest resources

Back