• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 Outsourced Dispather

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, you are not going to believe this. My 121 company is seriously considering outsourcing all dispatching....Can they do this?

I have looked all over, but cannot find a regulatory reference that prohibits them from doing this.

Could anyone please provide any insight (preferably regulatory e.g. FAR, Legal interpratations, etc) so that I can through this on my DO's desk and laugh.

Fraternally

Not so unbelievable. Listen to this!

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.info/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,4/Itemid,61.html

By regulation, the certficate holder is responsible for operational control, which we all know means the exercise of authority over initiating, conducting, or terminating a flight. But the actual flight planning is a joint process between the Captain and an authorized dispatcher, and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing that says that the authorized dispatcher has to be an employee of the certificate holder. All the air carrier has to do is satisfy the FAA that operational control is being maintained.

By regulation, the certficate holder is responsible for operational control, which we all know means the exercise of authority over initiating, conducting, or terminating a flight. But the actual flight planning is a joint process between the Captain and an authorized dispatcher, and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing that says that the authorized dispatcher has to be an employee of the certificate holder. All the air carrier has to do is satisfy the FAA that operational control is being maintained.

Our ops specs say that all of that is done at a specific address, so, unless they "import" a bunch of people from Calcutta, it ain't gonna happen here.

Our ops specs say that all of that is done at a specific address, so, unless they "import" a bunch of people from Calcutta, it ain't gonna happen here.

Ops specs can be changed in a simple revision. If it's not in a contract, it can't be stopped.

Is anyone going to say what airline this is or what company would be doing the releases? Or will this stay an ops specs lesson?:confused:

got it....USA3000

Here is the NEW Jeppesen propsal to the FAA

Ok I was asked by clr4theapch to comment....I was staying away from this one since I was on of the original 4 in 2001 that started looking into this possibility as we were all on furlough at the time....

As clr4 said, we had converted a house into to a OCC, with wall screen, flight explorer, Jep rnwy, a 121 aprvd flight planning system, 4 desks and a full reference library etc.... for all intents and purposes, we could have and had the ability to plan and release aircraft, in fact we did so with corporate jets flying under part 91 for trials.... the regs were the biggie..

We ran into a hugh brick wall with a nice big red bow around it...it was going to take alot more horse power than all of us could pull together even with the backing we had....but the idea and plans moved on and have been under wraps with Jeppesen for a while..only till this month it has been flying around under the radar...

Here is the link to their proposal with the FAA and is being worked very hard with the money of Boeing behind them!...this will probably happen in the next 2 to 3 years for sure.... LINK: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MF4NRh...act Dispatching Proposal.ppt#318,1,Discussion of FAA Policy Regarding Contract Dispatch Services

PS its a power point presentation..its safe to open...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back