Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Embarassing...

Mookie (former SkyWest)

What is there to be embarassed about? A lot of you guys throw cliches, insults etc out there but never offer any reasons. The only reason I hear given is because we are non-union. That is our choice not anyone elses.

I am not upset with Skywest pilots. When we decided not to take the pay cuts we knew that we would be spanked. Atlanta could have done a number of things more painful than this.

We are losing pilots so fast this is barely going to slow down hiring or upgrades. It is time to stand firm against management.

While it is true from an overall staffing standpoint that we could probably lose those 12 70's and not feel it, we are going to have a lot of 70 captains flowing back into the bases, making for a lot of movement. As far as I know, the 70 was fully staffed.

What is there to be embarassed about? A lot of you guys throw cliches, insults etc out there but never offer any reasons. The only reason I hear given is because we are non-union. That is our choice not anyone elses.

What's embarassing is that it must suck to be a SkyW pilot these days when all the other commuter pilot groups are pissed at you for something that's outside of your control. If ther tables were turned I'm sure there wouldn't be any ASA, Comair, Mesaba guys out there being pissed off that they were getting a/c from other airlines. What do you ASA and Comair guys want? You want the SkyW guys to refuse to fly the new routes or jets? Get a grip!

As far as the Union goes - That's up to the pilot group themselves. They can be the only ones to decide if they need representation. With the new pay proposal from management - I think it just might be time to have a union on prop. 1-5% and NADA for the 120 drivers just isn't right.

As for the 70 for 50 pay - Once again leave that to those who fly those jets. Are you going to say the same crap to the crews at Alaska for flying the 900 for the same rate as the 400? Maybe it's the other way around? Maybe the 400 guys are getting the better deal flying the 400 for 900 rates?

I would suggest spending your time improving your own working conditions instead of bashing the guys at Skyw for situations that are outside of their control!

My $0.02c as a former SkyW 120 driver.

Baja.

Any word on where these planes will go to? I'm assuming they're going to be flying for Delta. Is this part of the Delta RFP?

I do, personally, think that a union at skywest would help. again, personal opinion. I had been based in every system at SkyWest except for SLC and saw the good and bad of everything. Having said that, I truly enjoyed my time there, but...

I'm embarassed every time I talk to friends at Comair, ASA, Chaniqua, Eagle, Trans States, PSA, hell...even mesa when we start talking about what has been going on at skyWest since the ASA purchase and the 50/70 payrates. I'm embarassed every time I see a former ASA 70 in skywest paint, and I'll be embarassed when the same thing now happens to a comair 70, as I hope that some of ya'll will be as well.

For the record, I did vote yes for them some two and half years ago, and please don't tell the General, but he was right....we did screw pretty much everything up for everyone else in the regional industry.

For all of those that think it will never happen to you at skywest, just imagine if the company that underbids your flying and takes you airplanes hasn't even been invented yet. i'd be scared and very very concerned.

Respectfully,
Mookie

Latest resources

Back