Zero Tolerance for Deviations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cjdriver

I heard that ATC has been instructed within the last 30-60 days that no tolerance of deviations will be allowed; meaning any deviation must be reported. For instance, any altitude bust regardless of loss of separation. Is this true? If so, would a deviating pilot be told they were being violated? I also heard the FSDO's are overwhelmed by this new policy.

There has to be a tolerance. Nothing is perfect up there, ie. turbulence, wake t, etc. This is stuff pilots can't control. I've never heard of this, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

I was not given said briefing. Rumors Rumors Rumors. We aren't cops. Let FSDO bust you. Most of us controllers could care less as long as safety was not an issue.

I also continue to hear this will "new policy" about enforcing pilot deviations. So when I inadvertantly bust my altitude (by lets say 400'), BAM, I get violated--even if I'm the only one in the sky (or sector). Think that's a bunch of BS!

So what happens when a controller gives me a descent and calls me by the wrong call sign? Do I violate him/her? How is that suppose to go down? Just don't understand, we all make mistakes. Some call for a violation, some don't.

in 18 years of professional flying or aviation industry experience, 99% of the controllers could care less unless you bent metal, made headlines, or did something that caused someone ELSE to hear about it (another pilot files a complaint, etc)

I think even at the FSDO level things are much more "moderated" than they were years ago.

I've been using the ATC system for 30 years. I just got my 1st Letter of Warning for a pilot (NAV) deviation, last week.

Our FSDO claims that they are processing 2 per week. Mine happened in the ATL center airspace.

I heard that ATC has been instructed within the last 30-60 days that no tolerance of deviations will be allowed; meaning any deviation must be reported. For instance, any altitude bust regardless of loss of separation. Is this true? If so, would a deviating pilot be told they were being violated? I also heard the FSDO's are overwhelmed by this new policy.

I head the same thing from a friend. His friend found out about this new policy the hard way. DFW TRACON, which has almost always been cool (my 10+ years of being a regular customer anyway). Maybe there is something to this? Keep the head on a swivel out there y'all.

Maybe every aircraft needs to file a block altitude

haha, a quick solution to a ridiculous situation.

In all seriousness, have people been deviating from alts, hdgs that drastically that they need to implement this?? seems kind of over-the-top, but then again, this is the FAA

What about the situation out in DFW where Supervisors were filing pilot deviation reports when it was the Controllers' mistake?

Admittedly, task saturated pilots coming up on 12 to 16 hours on duty make more deviations than controllers, but this writing every little thing up can cut both ways.

And then you throw the new SIDS and STARS into the mix with ambiguous phraseology that has not been completely worked out when it comes to speed changes.

Mutual cooperation & adequate staffing works the best.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back