• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You won't believe what I heard on ATC Frequency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We were inbound to MCI # 2 behind a FedEx airbus. Approach comes up and says "5 mike golf, are you considered small ? " (obviously for wake purposes) and without skipping a beat, my PNF says "not by those who know me". It took him about 30 seconds to come back up and he was laughing. The FedEx guys even said "hey, you asked"

Washington Center: "American 123 are you on the frequency?"

American 123 (female voice garbled): "Say again for American 123, I had something in my mouth."

Dead silence--but everybody knew.

A true story.

Flechas said:
You should hear american pilots trying to speak spanish in mexican airspace, now that's funny. And the mexican don't make fun of them, now that's respect.
I try to toss in a polite word or two in the native language, but we're not required to speak anything but English. Thank you, ICAO. :)

TonyC said:
I try to toss in a polite word or two in the native language, but we're not required to speak anything but English. Thank you, ICAO. :)

Actually thanks to ICAO pilots from other countries are a bit more accomplished, they speak two languages!

Flechas said:
I agree that it is very funny the way pilots from other countries speak, I laugh when I hear the Royer over the radio, but it's not funny to make fun of it over the radio.

You should hear american pilots trying to speak spanish in mexican airspace, now that's funny. And the mexican don't make fun of them, now that's respect.

Why are English speaking pilots speaking Spanish? The King's english is the official language of the ICAO.

Stick Man said:
Why are English speaking pilots speaking Spanish? The King's english is the official language of the ICAO.

Because they want to practice their spanish, or like Tony C said, they just want to toss in a polite word or two. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I think it's good, you get a better treatment.

Flechas said:
I agree that it is very funny the way pilots from other countries speak, I laugh when I hear the Royer over the radio, but it's not funny to make fun of it over the radio.

Yeah, they're not making fun of that we know of. Human nature they're doing it too. Besides we won the bloody war, English is the common aviation language...........

JetPilot_Mike said:
Wow, what an intelligent 1st post KO. Welcome. Dork.
Hi cool JetPilot....it may be my first post but I have been reading these boards for about four years......the reason I dont post much (actually at all) is because of ignorant comments made by many on here. I understand mine was ignorant as well but if you are going to talk smack about someone, you might as well get the smack talk right dont you think? Thanks for the welcome! nerd.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back