You want the A380 to be a failure?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bofecus

Sorry mate, I'm close to giving up. You have decided not see your position influenced by the (non-Airbus) links I provided. You are immersed in propaganda and are set to stay there. Fair enough, have it like that.

Can we, at least, agree that both Airbus and Boeing are receiving subsidies? Airbus in the form of refundable launch aid, and Boeing in the form of tax breaks? Are we discussing the lenght of a piece of string here?

As for Boeing having business morals, you are of course joking right?

Anyway, as for your claims re. EADS claiming to be a bigger defence contractor, that is certainly news to me! As is your claim that Airbus has a bigger turnover. According to the links I'll provide below, EADS had a turnover of around 31.7 Billion Euro (around 40 Billion USD) and Boeing had a turnover of 52.5 Billion USD, both in 2004. Where do you get your information from, or do you just pull random numbers out of a hat to fit your argument? However, if I may direct your attention to this link: http://www.eads.com/xml/content/OF00000000400004/0/85/40596850.pdf you'll see that EADS generates around 30% of revenue from non-Airbus related activities, and around 20% from Defence.

The same figures for Boeing, according to this link: http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/financial/2004q4/2004q4.pdf
indicates that Boeing generated around 7.6 Bill from "Integrated Defence Systems" and roughly 5.4 Bill. from "Commercial Aircraft" - both in Q4 of 2004. In other words, a defence side of the business that is almost 50% bigger than commercial aircraft. Do research your arguments before posting them, it generally makes you look much better.

I also note that you elegantly evaded the level playing field issue, but that's allright - I've grown to learn on this site that if reasonable thoughts or ideas contravene your preconceptions, they are just ignored.

Finally, EADS NV is a publicly held company listed on the Amsterdam stock exchange. Yes, there is government holdings in the company. But it's a company that is owned in majority by publicly traded stocks. And just like the Boeing board, the Airbus board also have stock holders they are reporting too.

Your misconceptions are baffling. I ask again, where do you get your information from?

Last edited:
EuroWheenie said:
bofecus

Sorry mate, I'm close to giving up. You have decided not see your position influenced by the (non-Airbus) links I provided. You are immersed in propaganda and are set to stay there. Fair enough, have it like that.

Can we, at least, agree that both Airbus and Boeing are receiving subsidies? Airbus in the form of refundable launch aid, and Boeing in the form of tax breaks? Are we discussing the lenght of a piece of string here?

As for Boeing having business morals, you are of course joking right?

Anyway, as for your claims re. EADS claiming to be a bigger defence contractor, that is certainly news to me! As is your claim that Airbus has a bigger turnover. According to the links I'll provide below, EADS had a turnover of around 31.7 Billion Euro (around 40 Billion USD) and Boeing had a turnover of 52.5 Billion USD, both in 2004. Where do you get your information from, or do you just pull random numbers out of a hat to fit your argument? However, if I may direct your attention to this link: http://www.eads.com/xml/content/OF00000000400004/0/85/40596850.pdf you'll see that EADS generates around 30% of revenue from non-Airbus related activities, and around 20% from Defence.

The same figures for Boeing, according to this link: http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/financial/2004q4/2004q4.pdf
indicates that Boeing generated around 7.6 Bill from "Integrated Defence Systems" and roughly 5.4 Bill. from "Commercial Aircraft" - both in Q4 of 2004. In other words, a defence side of the business that is almost 50% bigger than commercial aircraft. Do research your arguments before posting them, it generally makes you look much better.

I also note that you elegantly evaded the level playing field issue, but that's allright - I've grown to learn on this site that if reasonable thoughts or ideas contravene your preconceptions, they are just ignored.

Finally, EADS NV is a publicly held company listed on the Amsterdam stock exchange. Yes, there is government holdings in the company. But it's a company that is owned in majority by publicly traded stocks. And just like the Boeing board, the Airbus board also have stock holders they are reporting too.

Your misconceptions are baffling. I ask again, where do you get your information from?

Hey Wheenie,

Do us all a favor and quit! :rolleyes:

Whale Rider

Sorry to burst any bubbles. Second thing I've learned here then: If facts contravene your preconceptions either ignore them or shoot the messenger. What a delightful way to conduct a discussion!

Yes, please do give up. Apparently you have a hard time understanding that no one disputes the fact that both A&B receive subsidies, the issue is B receives indirect only whereas A receives both. It's fairly easy to deduce from your little commentaries that you are anti American. Please help us all to understand how the open skies issue has any relevance to the issue of leveling the playing field when it comes to the issue of subsidizing aircraft manufacturers. Do give up, put please stay tuned to the subsidies issue, it will be resolved and I think that both you, the EU and Airbus will be dissapointed.

EuroWheenie said:
Whale Rider

Sorry to burst any bubbles. Second thing I've learned here then: If facts contravene your preconceptions either ignore them or shoot the messenger. What a delightful way to conduct a discussion!

You can delightfully quit too while your still behind.:rolleyes:

From Reuters:
UPDATE 6-World's biggest airliner completes maiden flight
Reuters News 04/27/05
author: Louise Knowles
author: Jean-Michel Belot
(C) Reuters Limited 2005.

TOULOUSE, France, April 27 (Reuters) - The world's biggest airliner, the European Airbus A380, flew for the first time on Wednesday in a new challenge to U.S. rival Boeing Co. (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) in the battle for the global aviation market.

The double-decker A380, designed to carry 555 passengers but with room for more than 800, touched down smoothly almost four hours after soaring into sunny skies on its maiden flight above Airbus headquarters near Toulouse in southern France.

The European Airbus consortium is counting on the A380 to help it keep its edge over Boeing, while the U.S. company says it believes the future lies in smaller long-range airliners.

Thousands of enthusiasts cheered outside the perimeter fence as the plane, carrying a six-man test crew, landed after completing a series of tests of equipment and in-flight procedures on the world's heaviest commercial airliner.

"You handle (this aircraft) as you handle a bicycle. It's very, very easy to fly," chief test pilot Jacques Rosay said after fellow pilot Claude Lelaie landed the $285 million plane.

The A380, as long as eight London buses and with enough room on its wings to park 70 cars, heralds a new era in passenger travel, just as the supersonic Concorde jet set new standards by breaking the sound barrier in 1969.

But Airbus faces a tough battle with Boeing and is still short of selling 250 of the A380s, which it says is the break-even point. Some experts say it will have to sell almost three times as many to make a profit.

Boeing said it was pleased the flight test passed successfully and congratulated Airbus. "We always thought it would fly because that's what airplanes do," Boeing Chief Executive James Bell said.

"And we also thought our bet on the mid-range market was a better bet and we think our orders traffic is sustaining that, so we're 2 and 0," he said referring to two big orders Boeing announced this week.

BOEING GOES FOR DREAMLINER

Boeing has vowed to end the dominance of Airbus, which has outsold the Chicago-based plane maker in every year since 2001, and the two rivals are locked in a struggle in which each accuses the other of having unfair subsidies.

Boeing has been focusing on a much smaller money-saver in the 787 Dreamliner which is due in 2008, and has won two big deals in the past few days with Air India [AIN.UL] and Air Canada (ACErv.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) worth a total of around $13 billion.

The A380 will now make up to 2,500 hours of test flights to pave the way for it to enter service in the second half of 2006.

European aerospace group EADS (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) (EAD.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) has an 80 percent stake in Airbus and British defence firm BAE Systems (BA.L: Quote, Profile, Research) has a 20 percent stake. It has taken Airbus nearly five years and some 12 billion euros ($15.68 billion) to develop the A380, including 1.45 billion euros of cost overruns.

The A380 ended the four-decade reign of Boeing's 747 jumbo as the biggest airliner to have flown. It looks like a 747 with the upper deck stretched all the way to the tail.

The French cabinet burst into applause when President Jacques Chirac announced the A380 had successfully taken off. Chirac hailed its safe return as a "total success" of the project which had written a new page of aeronautical history.

"It is a magnificent result for European industrial cooperation and an encouragement to pursue this path of building a Europe of innovation and progress," he said.

His close ally German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder saluted a victory for European industrial policy: "This shows that when we work hard ... we can be the best in the world.

Airbus has a combined 154 orders and commitments from 15 customers and Airbus Chief Executive Noel Forgeard said he expected more orders this year, although not in the next few days. He gave no details.

Whale Rider said:
You can delightfully quit too while your still behind.:rolleyes:

I am not sure who is behind. Is it Boeing or Airbus? Last time I checked there were many more Boeing aircraft flying than Airbus. I know Boeing has been around much longer. But numbers are numbers. The 787 already has more orders than the 380 and no one has even seen the 787 yet. The 380 is awesome I think it looks cool and I would love to fly it. Hopefully they will put a picture of it on Airbus's tombstone, seening as how it will be the aircraft that will put Airbus outta business.
And one more question, did Airbus ever solve the 4 tons over weight issue? I know that a few companies that had orders said that they would drop them if they could not get the weight down.

Well, I don'twant to see Airbus out of business, if the young lad Eurowheenie ever got anything right, it was the observation that competition is good. Boeing needs competition, this is exactly what got them to wake up and smell the expresso brewing in Europe. Finally, they have gotten their total act together. Market share and "outselling" the competition don't mean crapola. Would you buy a Hyundai because they outsell the comparable Toyota, Chevy, etc? If you cut through the rhetoric and BS, actually compare apples and apples you will clearly see which product is the overall "best".

bocefus said:
Well, I don'twant to see Airbus out of business, if the young lad Eurowheenie ever got anything right, it was the observation that competition is good. Boeing needs competition, this is exactly what got them to wake up and smell the expresso brewing in Europe. Finally, they have gotten their total act together. Market share and "outselling" the competition don't mean crapola. Would you buy a Hyundai because they outsell the comparable Toyota, Chevy, etc? If you cut through the rhetoric and BS, actually compare apples and apples you will clearly see which product is the overall "best".

Thank you.

From the numbers I could find quickly, Airbus' two owners, EADS and BAe, had a combined total of 25.2 billion in defense revenue in 2003. Boeing had 27.4. About the same. So, I can't buy the "cross-subsidy" plea that Airbus uses to justify launch aid. Even if they weren't about the same, many businesses are in both government and private sectors - that's not, in itself, anticompetitive. And the payback argument - If they could pay back at market rates given the risk of their projects, they could have gotten the money from private equities markets. Remember, in finance, risk costs money. The launch aid subsidizes the cost of that risk, even if they "pay it back with interest." It also allows Airbus to "roll the dice" in ways that a private company can't - if they can't pay the loan back, big deal. That IS anticompetitive.

http://www.defensenews.com/content/features/2004chart1.html

Latest resources

Back