Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BornAgainPagan

No Gods. No Masters.
It's entertaining to see all of the posts in another thread on the A380. There seems to be several posts that imply they want the project to be a failure. One can't help but think that most of these posts are driven by a juvenile nationalist anti France mentality......playing into the hands of the pro Iraq invasion spinmeisters. France has made many valuable contributions to aviaton.

Sure I'd like to see Boeing selling more planes than Airbus. However, from an aviator's perspective, I wish the best for Airbus. Congratulations to all involved for your first flight!

http://old.marseillaise.org/francais/audio/marseillaise.au

I think it's ugly as hell, but I don't have an opinion one way or the other if it's a sucess or not. I'd like to see Boeing's 787 do well, but I don't think that the 787 and the 380 will compete with one another, therefore their destiny's are independent (my opinion).

On the ugly issue...

If they stretched it and shrunk the tail it may be a decent looking airplane. But the wing is is weird looking too, so maybe it can't be saved.

BornAgainPagan,

Its nice to know i'm not the only one who wish's Airbus the very best with the A380.... It be interesting to see out of all the people who wanted to see the A380 fail, if they where offered a flight deck position, how many would turn it down, just because its made in France.

Icelandair said:
boycott france

but then where are we going to get our wine and foie gras?

boycott Iceland....sure...France...no way man.

I love seeing the A-380 fly, I keep watching the video again and again. I do not want to see the plane fail, I just happen to think that it will, they went the wrong direction with this one and just wanted to have the largest plane flying and that is all that it comes down to.

Boeing on the other hand went in what I feel is a much smarter direction. I would have to tell you that if it were I who made the decisions for a company about which aircraft to buy the thought of an airliner made out of all compostie material that would burn about 35% less fuel than anther jet of comperabale size, with the price of fuel being what it is then the 787 seems to be a very appealing prospect to me. Boeing is much farther ahead than airbus as far as technology goes with the new aircraft that both companies are coming out with. I see the A-380 as a poor finincial decision for Airbus, all of their money is tied up with the 380 and I do not see them being able to come out with any new product that could even come close to being able to compete with the 787. I heard that Airbus has to sell 215 of these overweight aircraft to break even. If this is true then best of luck to them.

That being said I can not wait to see one of these 380's in person. I feel like I am the only one who thinks that this aircraft in not ugly at all, as a matter of fact I can not think of one airplane of the top of my head that has a better head on profile than the 380.

I do wish Airbus the best of luck. I hope the A380 is successful. I just wish it truly was a level playing field. I like Boeing products. Boeing builds most of their aircraft towards customer demands and future requirements as the airlines and air travel evolves. Airbus builds reactionary aircraft to Boeing. There was never a demand for the A380. There was no airline that went to Boeing and Airbus and said build us an aircraft larger that the 747. Airbus built the A380 simply to have bragging rights for having the largest commercial jet aircraft. To those who think that Boeing and Airbus are both subsidized. This is a false statement. Airbus is completely subsidized, specifically for their research and development. They can't go bankrupt. Boeing never gets government subsidies to develop commercial aircraft. They have to gamble, and finance R and D themselves. Just a little tid bit of fact for you. Anyway, I think Boeing is correct in targeting specific markets and having aircraft that are more fuel efficient and capable of longer range. That's the ticket. It's unbelievable what the 777-200LR is going to be capable of doing. It's unbelievable the advances of the 787. And to top it off they are coming out with an ER verision of the 737NG's. It will be interesting to see how everything develops. Don't ever fool yourselves for even one minute. Airbus has evolved into a serious competitor. However with the involvement of the EU understand that they are using Airbus and it's ability to subsidize research and development as another front to attack America economically. Don't ever believe otherwise. Many of you don't realize that at one point Boeing was our number one exporter and at one time in the past represented the biggest percentage of our GDP of a single company. So understand what's really at stake here.

Europe has tried before to capture an industry from the Americans by building the biggest, grandest airplane anyone could imagine.

Do a search on the Bristol Brabazon.

Latest resources

Back