• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You stay classy Linden Hillman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, after several phone calls and internal message board posts from our pilots about it, the AirTran ALPA MEC put out a statement yesterday on our message board about the letter (which actually happened several weeks ago, shortly after the PA was signed, which is what I figured), detailing how it came up, what the letter said, and how it was received.

The AirTran ALPA MEC received a pleasant letter back from MV stating that yes, it had been a wording error in the initial press release after the Process Agreement was signed. That's all ALPA really wanted, to make sure that SWA management agreed with the Process Agreement for what happens after arbitration in the same way ALPA interpreted it, which the MV reply letter clearly states that they do.

Yes, the letter asked for a public retraction. No, ALPA didn't get it. My personal opinion: ALPA then knew better than to push their luck, had what they needed legally by written mutual agreement of what happens after arbitration concerning the integration process, and decided not to further rock the boat. End of story. Should ALPA have written the letter? Absolutely. Would I have asked for a public retraction in the initial letter? No. But I don't get a vote. ;)

However, methinks that MV got about as upset about that letter as BJ did at SWAPA over the grievance regarding the nose art sticker; both were probably a little annoyed and that was likely the end of it, but as always in "the turbine turns", both stories seem to have taken on a life of their own at our respective companies.

Most people dismiss rumors of "excessively angry management" as just rumor unless said management goes on the public record about it, just as SWA guys have about the BJ "nose art angst" rumor. I would think that both MV and BJ are probably much more even-keeled guys than that, it's just business after all, but I could be wrong... it's happened before.

Just another slow news day... ;)

Last edited:
Some of you SWA guys really need to grow up and come to terms with the inevitable. All this posturing and innuendo is going to have exactly ZERO effect on the overall outcome.

Some of you would have us believe that AT guys have the most to lose/gain in all this, why is it then that none of us seem the least bit concerned? Clearly the process agreement is not to your liking and arbitration has you shaking in your boots. That is painfully obvious to everyone who's been following this. Get over it. Come to terms. Your lack of maturity is an embarrassment to yourself and reflects poorly on SWA. Scare tactics are only making you look bad.

Last edited:
Some of you SWA guys really need to grow up and come to terms with the inevitable. All this posturing and innuendo is going to have exactly ZERO effect on the overall outcome.

Some of you would have us believe that AT guys have the most to lose/gain in all this, why is it then that none of us seem the least bit concerned? Clearly the process agreement is not to your liking and arbitration has you shaking in your boots. That is painfully obvious to everyone who's been following this. Get over it. Come to terms. Your lack of maturity is an embarrassment to yourself and reflects poorly on SWA. Scare tactics are only making you look bad.

It seems that you are convinced that Air Tran is in the drivers seat and SWAPA is along for the ride. I just do not believe SWA would bend over back wards to make Air Tran happy and SWAPA unhappy. It would be easier to have 50% of 1700 unhappy than 6000. Good luck with that idea. No, I am not part of SWAPA.

I'm sure it's not true.

Who in their right mind sends a stern letter to your new boss making such demands. You'd have to be a gold plated idiot! Especially to do that to SWA corporate.

Gup

You have underestimated teh hubris and ignorance of Mistah Jefferson. I bet you won't do that again.

It's funny when people who have no clue as to what the hell they're talking about, post as if they do.

Apparently, that would apply more accurately to yourself. Why so defensive?

Curious, what do I have to gain as an 8 year FO?

Money- got it.

Better schedule, nope.

Better bennies?, nope already maxed out so that 10% doesn't help at all

Oh, I'll have a chance to spend a few extra years yanking the gear for a 6 year AT captain?

Really? And that's what is fair in your collective books?

Cool.

And I'm not even asking about the poor 2 year WN FO. Somebody tell me what the upshot is for ANYBODY in the right seat at SWA.

It seems that you are convinced that Air Tran is in the drivers seat and SWAPA is along for the ride. .

I never said or implied that. However, a few on the SWA side obviously want us to think we're pawns in this entire process an we should be thankful for whatever we get.

In the end, we'll reach an agreement that will pass on both sides (yeah, right) or it will go to arbitration. Scare tactics don't work, but feel free to continue if it makes you feel good.

Apparently, that would apply more accurately to yourself. Why so defensive?

Defensive? How's that exactly?

The overblown reaction to the letter requesting clarification of the process agreement was an attempt by some to manage expectations. Like I said, all this will have exactly ZERO effect on the end result. Some people need to read the PA, airtran contract, signed letters by management, listen to thier boss and come to terms

Curious, what do I have to gain as an 8 year FO?

Money- got it.

Better schedule, nope.

Better bennies?, nope already maxed out so that 10% doesn't help at all

Oh, I'll have a chance to spend a few extra years yanking the gear for a 6 year AT captain?

Really? And that's what is fair in your collective books?

Cool.

And I'm not even asking about the poor 2 year WN FO. Somebody tell me what the upshot is for ANYBODY in the right seat at SWA.

If a quick upgrade is so important, you should have come to AT.

Upshot for SWA FO's is actually getting to upgrade sometime in the future. You had an indefinite hold prior to the AT deal. read my tag line below, your own boss said it. With Airtan out of the way you'll actually get a chance to upgrade. You're welcome.

I never said or implied that. However, a few on the SWA side obviously want us to think we're pawns in this entire process an we should be thankful for whatever we get.

In the end, we'll reach an agreement that will pass on both sides (yeah, right) or it will go to arbitration. Scare tactics don't work, but feel free to continue if it makes you feel good.

why is it then that none of us seem the least bit concerned?

You must know the answer to this part of your statement. But in case you do not let me tell you why if I was with Air Tran why I would not be worried. You will gain in all areas no matter where you are on the list. From an outsider it seems that you gain more than a SWA guy. You must see that part. You get a better company, pay, benefits, bases, etc. What does SWA get? Please do not say aircraft, ATL, growth, etc. They bought that. If SWA gives SWAPA a raise you will get that also. You get everything they get plus all the benefits they already have. That is the way I see it from the outside. I should be so lucky. One of your outspoken guys that we all know has a real bad reputation, history etc, with Air Tran and also tried to get on with SWA. Now they will be stuck with him. Is he lucky? I know he is one of a few. That is it , good luck, I think you need more luck than SWA.

Latest resources

Back