Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You gotta wonder about our NWA Cargo 742s.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

I am not trying to flame here. Things are bad all around, and especially in the worldwide freight business. I just saw this article, and I wonder if Singapore Airlines can't afford it, then how can we? I hope they have a good plan.....

Reuters
Singapore Air may ask pilots to take unpaid leave: report
Tuesday December 30, 6:58 pm ET
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines (SES:SIAL.SI - News), the world's largest carrier by market value, may ask its pilots from its cargo arm to take unpaid leave in a bid to cut costs and reduce capacity, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Singapore Air told the Business Times that it was already in talks with pilots from its cargo fleet about implementing the cost cutting measures as a way to avoid retrenchments.

"The cargo business position is very weak at this point in time and the outlook for 2009 is not good," Singapore Air spokesman Stephen Forshaw told the Business Times.

Forshaw also said if the voluntary unpaid leave scheme fails to alleviate the cost situation, pay cuts and retrenchments could follow. The airline is also looking to park some of its cargo carriers.
Singapore Air reported earlier this month that it filled 67.3 percent of the space available on its planes for passengers and cargo in November, down from 70.6 percent a year ago. Singapore Airlines Cargo has a pool of about 300 pilots. The airline could not be reached for comment.

Bye Bye----General Lee

Your smoking crack General and talking out of your rear again. Don't talk about what you don't know or understand. I see full loads on every flight lately.

Your smoking crack General and talking out of your rear again. Don't talk about what you don't know or understand. I see full loads on every flight lately.

Huh??? What? That is great you see full loads. Are you talking about the Cargo 742s? And, I was commenting on the Singapore Cargo article you idiot. Looks like you are the one with the lack of understanding. Figures...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Well, with the NWA B74F cargo ops - didnt they just ink a deal for flying military charters til hell freezes over - not CRAF missions per se, just mil freight charters?

That cant hurt...

Let's hope they stick around for a very long time. I thought cargo was a money maker. Don't they need half the load factor, 180lbs of goods, to produce the same profit, one pax. If they do decide to park them, hopefully they will do that before SOC.

I though we signed a gov't contract for a once a week gig from McGuire AFB, NJ to Kuwait on the -200Fs?

You're correct, and we have other contracts as well. Freighters will be around for a couple more years imho. We'll see

I am not trying to flame here. Things are bad all around, and especially in the worldwide freight business. I just saw this article, and I wonder if Singapore Airlines can't afford it, then how can we? I hope they have a good plan.....

Reuters
Singapore Air may ask pilots to take unpaid leave: report
Tuesday December 30, 6:58 pm ET
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines (SES:SIAL.SI - News), the world's largest carrier by market value, may ask its pilots from its cargo arm to take unpaid leave in a bid to cut costs and reduce capacity, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Singapore Air told the Business Times that it was already in talks with pilots from its cargo fleet about implementing the cost cutting measures as a way to avoid retrenchments.

"The cargo business position is very weak at this point in time and the outlook for 2009 is not good," Singapore Air spokesman Stephen Forshaw told the Business Times.

Forshaw also said if the voluntary unpaid leave scheme fails to alleviate the cost situation, pay cuts and retrenchments could follow. The airline is also looking to park some of its cargo carriers.
Singapore Air reported earlier this month that it filled 67.3 percent of the space available on its planes for passengers and cargo in November, down from 70.6 percent a year ago. Singapore Airlines Cargo has a pool of about 300 pilots. The airline could not be reached for comment.

Bye Bye----General Lee
Fact is they reworked the "Plan" about 6 mos ago

Trust me, I want them to stick around. The potential problem is the 747-200F. UPS just parked their last 2 742s in ROW yesterday, along with an Atlas 742. Kalitta is parking 8 of their 20 747s. I hope there isn't a trend. Seriously, I want us to keep the cargo ops. Fingers crossed.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Flew a charter just over a year ago with a management/cargo guy. NWA was very close with the frighter decision. 744's converted and or a mix of A-330F's with the 744's. The merger put that all on hold. The value in it are the slots as well as the long range potential of the growth rates in the Pacific the next few decades. They are projected to be over twice the growth of any other region in the world. Pretty confident we will be flying the freighter's or have increased passenger ops with the slots. P.S. Thank God oil is at $40-ish or we all could be facing another QOL Tsunami.

Latest resources

Back