YGTBSM - FedEx jumpseating suspended.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
klhoard said:
1) If this had anything to do with contract negotiations, they wouldn't stop the "good" employees from using the jumpseat. and 2) Why would they do something this petty that will only have the same effect as the Optimizer?

Don't worry, someone will start a rumor saying it is the pilots' fault and it will spread like wildfire, just like in the past when we had no dog in the fight! Just kidding (I hope).

Let's just see what the deal is before going off the deep end.

Oh, by the way..."You can order a hat from VF Solutions by calling 800-966-0141 and emblems can be obtained from Martha Fitzhugh in Flight Management."

Listened to a conference call from DW during LEC meeting today. Obviously one of our questions was what was driving this. He had talked to JL who said he was blindsided by the news and did not have any news to pass on at this time.

When questioned about why business/staging weren't cancelled also, the company feels the security protocals for those seats are ok. Nonpilots employees have to justify and get approval from thier respective managers before being allowed to reserve seat. Apparently there is some other issue with personal seats that we are not privy to.
Supposedly, all reciprocating CASS jumpers are still allowed, but not confirmed.

Union is waiting to see what more info is put out before responding, so sit back and give them time.

And as for the Military reservists who fill up the Personal jumpseats to DC, Jacksonville, San Antonio, Norfolk, Etc...Where do they stand?... Please tell me FedEx is not going to deny a Reservist a ride to work. Is it fair to give them business status at the expense of the local commuters?

Sorry, couldn't lurk any longer ... can't wait for the explanation on this one. So the company's "review" revealed something necessitating suspension of all personal jumpseating, including personal jumpseats for crewmembers who've been fingerprinted and undergone an FBI check. Yet it wasn't serious enough to suspend business jumpseats for all company employees, most of whom aren't vetted to the extent crewmembers are. Hmmmmmm.

Nice to see today's message line: CASS is still in effect, and off-line pilots are still allowed.

I know our union is all over this. Section 26.B.1 of our CBA covers jumpseats (personal, staging, etc.): "To the extent permitted by law or regulation, pilots shall be given access to Company jumpseats on terms no less favorable than those provided in the Company jumpseat policy effective January 25, 1998 and included in the PBB." (PBB=Pilot Benefits Book)

....back to lurking

Last edited:
So let me get this straight...A UPS Pilot can ride the FedEx jumpseat for any reason whatsoever with his CASS status, But a FedEx Pilot cannot ride the FedEx jumpseat unless it is staging to and from a trip (or other company approved business). Hilarious.

Last edited:
Don't expect jumpseating priority status' to change with respect to guys going to their Reserve/Guard job. Sit tight and let the dust settle.

Probably by tomorrow and for us, the pilots, it will be back to normal jumpseating ops, with the non-crewmenbers being the exception.....

Until the company decides to change it's mind...........again.

Putting my crystal ball away and getting back to my bottle of Coors.

An opinion 550 miles from Memphis.

Last edited:
Kav said:
Understand your frustration, Tony. But perhaps you didn't look closely at the email from Jack. The first line was the forward from the Executive Vice President for FedEx Express. I would call that "Senior Mngt... wouldn't you?"

I understand the frustration with regards to jumpseats and reciprocation to our fellow commuters from other airlines. It's unfortunate that it's gone again... along with the personal jumpseating. Believe me, I enjoy the priviledge as well. But being from management or not... the writer of that email was careful to word it and carry the point that he knew we would be miffed about the problem... but please bear with them as they worked out whatever it was that is a problem. He even stated that they hoped to have the IT issues resolved by the end of August. That's a long two weeks... sure... but it is not forever. I think if this were truly contract related, this would be for a lot longer period than that.

I'm a union supporter and up-to-date paying member. I'm all for professionally getting what we deserve in negotiations. But I think professionalism is the key here... and I sincerely feel people are not being professional when they immediately jump to some pretty harsh conclusions without even giving their union time to reply to the issue at hand... or give the company the slightest benefit of the doubt.

Nightflyer said it best in his post. I stand by my first post. People should take a step back and read the email for what it said.

"There's a problem in the jumpseat world of FedEx...

...Were working on the issue...

...It's going to be unfortunate for personal jumpseaters and our affiliated company's jumpseaters for awhile...

...we hope to have it fixed in two weeks (the end of Aug)...

...please bear with us..."

Not too much to ask... in my book.

Regards,

Kav
The e-mail came from the system chief pilot, not upper management. The half-dozen sentences near the beginning are copied from a message from the Executive Vice President.

I DID look closely at the e-mail (I resent the insinuation that I did not), and I ask you to take another look yourself. The quotes you pasted above come from the SCP. "The writer" of the portion that you characterize as carefully worded was NOT the EVP. In fact, go back and read the EVP's statement (between the quotes) and you will find no expression of sympathy or empathy whatsoever. It's very matter-of-fact.

While it will still be OK for a non-pilot company employee to use the jumpseat for business travel, it will NOT be possible for a pilot to use the jumpseat for personal travel, whether it be for vacation or to commute to a guard commitment. Please explain to me what sort of IT issue could make a pilot on personal travel a risk.

Now read these lines again:

"FYI, a non-pilot business jumpseater requires a manager's authorization to book business category and a non-pilot AOD stager requires 2 levels of management approval."

What I'm reading between the lines here is "you better not bump one of my schedulers or dispatchers."

That doesn't sit well with me.

Latest resources

Back