• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

YGTBSM - FedEx jumpseating suspended.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There have been a lot of rumblings in the news lately about cargo security concerns. I think it has to due with that rather than our contract negotations. Just relax and wait for more information to come out before you jump the gun and cry foul.

NightFlyer

a little defensive

I really don't blame guys for jumping the gun and calling foul immediately.

Our company has used jumpseats against us and it has obviously been a huge political battle. Are some guys a bit touchy about the subject? You bet! I don't blame them. This could be something out of managements control, but based on history, I understand everyone's frustration.

Combine the jumpseat/PIC authority frustration with lack of bargaining and it can create some real animosity.

Goose17

Well, lets see. I am 1. a commuter and 2. currently flying for FedEx. Since I am actually choosing to correspond with someone like you, I may well be an imbecile, so I'll give you 1 out of 3 on your assumptions. Based on your profile, I'll make the assumption you don't work for FedEx and haven't read the whole email. Therefore, you obviously missed the part about the jumpseating not effecting pilots commuting to and from work. So on top of making a bunch of poor assumptions about me, you also jumped in feet first without having a clue what you are talking about. Nice job tough guy.

Nothing tough about it. My apologies for the quip. Glad you work for FEDEX. No I don't work for FEDEX but I do use the jumpseat quite frequently. No I haven't read the whole email and am not privy to it. You appear to only see what affects you and as long as your company makes big profits, no problem here, right? Yes, I am touchy on the subject. I am all for safety and look forward to this problem resolving itself through the proper channels.

TonyC said:
That single email came from the system chief pilot, but don't fool yourself, he's not top management. That single email speaks volumes - - it's quite a bit more than "without even ... the slightest bit of information."

The deal is, personal jumpseats are suspended. Want to go somewhere on a FedEx jumpseat other than Memphis from your designated staging city? Tough darts. E - I - E - I - NO!

Wanna offer a jumpseat to your CASS interline colleague? How do you spell NO WAY?
Wanna take a vacation on the jumpseat? CAB - NO
Get the picture?
I don't think we need any more info.
Sep 26 - Bring your hat!

Understand your frustration, Tony. But perhaps you didn't look closely at the email from Jack. The first line was the forward from the Executive Vice President for FedEx Express. I would call that "Senior Mngt... wouldn't you?"

I understand the frustration with regards to jumpseats and reciprocation to our fellow commuters from other airlines. It's unfortunate that it's gone again... along with the personal jumpseating. Believe me, I enjoy the priviledge as well. But being from management or not... the writer of that email was careful to word it and carry the point that he knew we would be miffed about the problem... but please bear with them as they worked out whatever it was that is a problem. He even stated that they hoped to have the IT issues resolved by the end of August. That's a long two weeks... sure... but it is not forever. I think if this were truly contract related, this would be for a lot longer period than that.

I'm a union supporter and up-to-date paying member. I'm all for professionally getting what we deserve in negotiations. But I think professionalism is the key here... and I sincerely feel people are not being professional when they immediately jump to some pretty harsh conclusions without even giving their union time to reply to the issue at hand... or give the company the slightest benefit of the doubt.

Nightflyer said it best in his post. I stand by my first post. People should take a step back and read the email for what it said.

"There's a problem in the jumpseat world of FedEx...

...Were working on the issue...

...It's going to be unfortunate for personal jumpseaters and our affiliated company's jumpseaters for awhile...

...we hope to have it fixed in two weeks (the end of Aug)...

...please bear with us..."

Not too much to ask... in my book.

Regards,

Kav

"You appear to only see what affects you and as long as your company makes big profits, no problem here, right? "

Another poor assumption. I want all airlines to make big profits and all of us to recieve the benefits we deserve. I've got close friends flying with every major. And I consider all of them to be mature, professional aviators who I trust without question to fly my wife and children around the world. But part of being a mature and professional aviator is representing your profession, your company and YOUR UNION like a true professional. I may not have a big ALPA badge next to my name on Flightinfo, and I may not trumpet the fact I fly for FedEx, but I represent them nonetheless.
Right now, at FedEx we are in the midst of negotiating a new contract. I pay my union (your union) to settle my greivences with my employer and negotiate a solid contract. Things are going to get pretty turbulent here in upcoming months. This might be news to you, but the public perception of pilots is that we are overpaid, underworked and a bunch of whiners. I can help my union by not feeding that perception by throwing a temper tantrum everytime I hear news I don't like. Instead, as a professional aviator and member of my union, I will let my union do its job and keep my irrational outbursts out of a public forum.

SWAdude said:
You'll always be welcome on SWA. We know you guys are trying to do whats right. Don't sweat it right now. We'll be waiting for you.

Everyone but klhoard. ;) I can't figure out that name. :confused:
Man, that hurts!!! ;) When are you guys coming to Memphis? I have to drive four hours to get on your plane before you can kick me off!!
Maybe we should begin issuing FlighInfo ID cards. We can put them right in with our license and medical when asking for a ride. . .

USNFDX said:
I agree. The last thing the company wants to do is take away jumpseats from the rest of the employees.
I have to second USNFDX's analysis. 1) If this had anything to do with contract negotiations, they wouldn't stop the "good" employees from using the jumpseat. and 2) Why would they do something this petty that will only have the same effect as the Optimizer?

TonyC said:
That single email came from the system chief pilot, but don't fool yourself, he's not top management. That single email speaks volumes - - it's quite a bit more than "without even ... the slightest bit of information."

The deal is, personal jumpseats are suspended. Want to go somewhere on a FedEx jumpseat other than Memphis from your designated staging city? Tough darts. E - I - E - I - NO!

Wanna offer a jumpseat to your CASS interline colleague? How do you spell NO WAY?

Wanna take a vacation on the jumpseat? CAB - NO!

Get the picture?

I don't think we need any more info.

Sep 26 - Bring your hat!

Maybe they don't want guys jumpseating to the picketing locations?

Ok... time to jump in with my 2cents. At first read I thought: "something’s up with security and the company is taking care of it... good". After more thought I have to wonder, why would it be OK for us crewmembers to jumpseat in a staging or business status but not in a personal status? When it really comes down to it what is the difference? I understand staging from your known "staging" location filed in the system but if you are on business status you can still jump from any location to any location regardless of what is in the system for staging. Even when the rest of the FedEx employees could not use jumpseats the crewmembers could... in any status. So now I have to scratch my head and wonder... what's up? I'm not one to jump on the conspiracy theory bandwagon but... the company has most definitely used the jumpseat against the crewforce in the past. The union has also scheduled informational picketing around the country. Not that a lot of guys would use the jumpseat to get to a picket line but... Sorry, maybe I did ride a mile or so on the bandwagon. Maybe a "first shot across the bow" so to speak.:confused:

Latest resources

Back