Xpress Jet or Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mckpickle said:
A very valid point and one that not enough people are thinking about. I'd like to say that with one pilots union representing the Continental "Brand" name that our union brothers at CAL will toe the line so that all CAL or Express pilots end up performing CAL Brand flying. BUT we see how the CAL pilots continue to infight and shoot themselves in the foot. Kind of sad that we are counting on them. So basically ya we're fukced

Fortuanetly the trouble makers (super scabs) at CAL will be retiring in the next few years. My glass is half full theory is our ExpressJet contract will raise the bar back to where it should of been in the first place, Express will compete as the low fare carrier division of CAL, and will buy out another carrier.
If Mesa was a temporary step for someone, then yea go for it. Otherwise, I coudn't fathom the idea of being at a place like that for more than a couple years. The grass is always greener on the other side except in this case.

Don't do it for a future contract.

Never go anywhere based on what the next contract is going to be. If you can't stand to work there for what it is now, don't go regardless of which airline it is. CoEx might be the next comair in a couple years when their contract comes up or they might be taking concessions to keep their jobs. No one can really say with anything like certainty what will be up with the economy of the airlines in a couple years. Mesa looked like it would be in a great negotiating position summer of '00, but with the economic collapse of codeshares and especially 9/11, the entire situation changed for the work group and they were lucky to hold what they had and get rid of the alter-ego airline being built. CoEx might be in a similar situation or it might not but it does have a lot of eggs in that CAL basket, at least Mesa has diversified their risk considerably. I'd base your decision on what you can live with right now.

flyr said:
The point is that the XJET rates are 6 YEARS old and the Mesa rates are 6 MONTHS old, yet they are virtually the same! Ever heard of inflation? Cost of living increase? Get a clue, dude. Your contract sucks and it affects everyone in the industry, present and future. Now run along before Johnnie O spanks you again!

LOL...you learn that boy

Fortuanetly the trouble makers (super scabs) at CAL will be retiring in the next few years.
the last scab retires at 2026.

Obi-Wan said:
the last scab retires at 2026.

Im not sure if that is true. That would mean that guy got hired at age 19. Even if it were most are due to retire in the next 7 years. Thank god.

Beantown said:
And Mesa's 3rd yr jet pay is $30.57. What's your point? The fact is that Mesa first, second, and thrid yr jet pay is better then at Coex but Mcpu$$y would have you think that Coex is the end all be all to all other regionals. What ever. I have a good friend that is a 2nd yr FO(for pay, 4th yr seniority) at Coex and he just got off a two yr furlough and can't even hold weekends off on reserve in Newerk! At Mesa he would have been holding a line from day one (Phl and Den) and would be a 4th yr CA because he wouldn't have been on the street. So instead of making $27+ an hr getting abused on reserve he would be making $56+ and holding a line.

I'm not trying to say that Mesa is better then anyone else (I would have to be a good fiction writer to do that) but I am sick of people that have no idea about Mesa constatly taking shots. Give it a break or do some REAL research first. -Bean

dude just because you happen to JO's beotch don't blame me. Mesa (and ALPA for that matter) are helping to bring the profession down. (Alpa never should have approved your contract). I'm not talking about killing the golded goose I'm just talking about fair wages and safe work rules for a dignified profession. And MESA did not do that. They could have. They could have learned from the mistakes that Eastern and others have made.

Now I thought a Beech captain at MESA was making about 29K a year. Thats a bit less than a FO here for 2 years. Now I don't believe that coex is the "end all and be all" by any means. I have a lot of respect for others. Comair who would not be bullied. Eagle who can't get a break, ACA who told you and United to go sh1t in your hats. There are many good ones. But Mesa is not one. So if you wanna get into name calling I live in NH. I take it you live in Boston (which I bet I get to see more than you). Lets hang out, I'll buy the beer.

McPickle,

If what you say is true, it seems that a three year COEX FO and a three year 1900 captain at Mesa make about the same. Personally, I'd rather bide my time in the left seat of the 1900 while waiting for a jet seat to open up, but that's just me. I think your attitude toward the Mesa folks is a bit harsh, seeing as it's just an entry-level airline job, same as ExpressJet. It's not like you guys have a Delta-style contract to wave in their faces as you hurl insults at them. Heck, you don't even have a Comair-style contract, and if you get one I'll be surprised. I don't have a dog in this fight, though, so I'll bow out now. I do wish you guys at Xjet the best in your contract negotiations.

If you have been paying attention, you would realize that XJT
will have the best paying contract and the best work rules in the industry when the contract is done. All rates will be above comair and the work rules will be spectacular. This will only raise the bar for all of you and you can thank the coex NC and the management of coex for being progressive. The Coex pilot group is a solid group and will make sure it remains that way. Just look at the stats. Also, do you think ALPA would have their head of representation doing the negotiating if they thought otherwise??

With 274 RJ's in 2006, the company will be a force to be reckon with. Maybe you should wish they purchase you!!

Stinkbug said:
seeing as it's just an entry-level airline job, same as ExpressJet.

Not trying to slam you here but this is the biggest reason that airlines try to keep us down. Because of these types of attitudes and expectations, or lack there of.

The trip I start sunday takes me from EWR down south, over to IAH and then into Mexico by sunday night. I've had other trips that go from Toronto to IAH. Thats major airline flying. And the girls and boys at every other "regional" do similar flying. This is no longer your fathers commuter airline. It is not an entry level job. Im 30 and even with a letter saying I can go to CAL may just stay put here. (after I smoke some more crack maybe).

Point is we are airline professionals that are doing mainline flying. We are not asking to get more money than astronauts and only work 6 days a month. We are just asking to be payed a fair wage. Our regionals are a career for many of us and no longer a stepping stone.

Convair.

Gotta love that blind optimism. Hope you're right.

Latest resources

Back