• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Xpress Jet or Mesa

shroomwell

I want opinions from people on who they think would be the best to work for and for what reasons. Who has best upgrade times, best pay, best quality of life etc.

My guess is upgrade time will be faster at Mesa, but considering the shaky ground their partners are on, going there may come back to haunt you in a few years. On the other hand, ExpressJet is going through contract negotiations and there's the risk that you could be a casualty if things went as far as a strike. Overall, ExpressJet has a better reputation, although Mesa would be a fine choice too, especially if you're just looking to build your resume.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being wishy-washy, but in my opinion you can't really go wrong either way.

You must live in the southwest. Otherwise you wouldn't even be asking this. XJET no doubt. Our contract is 5 years old and better than Mesa's. And when our new one comes out we WILL be the highest paid regional.

Plus the upgrade time might not be too bad. CAL is starting to recall and that is making romm for almost 400 pilots. That means 400 upgrades plus whatever growth we get. Many people may beotch about XJET but is is a good place with determinded people.

OR you could go fly a 1900 upgrade and make less than our FO's. Or you could enjoy 8 days a month off while on reserve at MESA. (sorry....8 days per bid period. ie 9.2 days off a month).

Dude hitch your wagon to a winner not a loser. MESA is fish sh1t in the pond scum.

As I was told by a friend at a crappy commuter.

"you'd never believe how much you can hate flying!"

Take your time and go with a winner dude...

Xjet will have the best contract in the industry in less than 6 months....

I have friends at Mesa too and they dont like it much....

Q: What happens when XJet's "exclusive" deal with Continental expires in a few years?

The only reason I ask is that an XJ captain I ran across recently, and a fairly senior one at that I gather, suggested to me that XJ was "screwed" (his term, not mine) when that point rolls around. He seemed to think they'd have to take concessions at that point or lose the Continental code-share... Because they wouldn't be able to compete with, among others, Mesa.

Frankly, this had never occurred to me until he brought it up, so.... Any thoughts from those currently in the XJ trenches?

I would rather clean toilets with my tongue than fly for Mesa.

Get over yourself, man. Trust me, if you fly for a regional, you don't have it that great, no matter where you're at.

OR you could go fly a 1900 upgrade and make less than our FO's.

McPickle, how long do you have to be an FO at ExpressJet before you're making $30 plus an hour? Not that that's a lot of money but does ExpressJet honestly pay their FO's this before four or five years' longevity with the company? Consider that a Mesa pilot as it stands right now will be in the left seat of an RJ by that point, and that's after having spent a couple of years in the left seat of the 1900 or Dash. If you want to argue the merits of ExpressJet based on the great pilots or work rules or something, that's fine. But try not to let your emotion get in the way of your argument. Mesa's contract is inferior, but that can always change down the road and shouldn't be the sole reason for choosing a job at this level.

I have several friends at both companies and again, for the experience you'll get, they're both great choices. You'll be flying top-notch equipment to diverse destinations and be surrounded by a lot of terrific people. As I said before, currently ExpressJet has a better reputation and a seemingly healthier affiliate. Currently Mesa has a shorter upgrade time and better domiciles. Tough choice, but at least you have one.

I.P. Freley said:
Q: What happens when XJet's "exclusive" deal with Continental expires in a few years?

The only reason I ask is that an XJ captain I ran across recently, and a fairly senior one at that I gather, suggested to me that XJ was "screwed" (his term, not mine) when that point rolls around. He seemed to think they'd have to take concessions at that point or lose the Continental code-share... Because they wouldn't be able to compete with, among others, Mesa.

Frankly, this had never occurred to me until he brought it up, so.... Any thoughts from those currently in the XJ trenches?

According to the deal that won't happen until Mid '07. In this business that's a long time away and I'm sure the industry will look nothing like it does today. H*ll Cal might well be merged into DAL before then. Maybe the Mesa guys will finally get the b*lls to stand up to Johnny O by then.

In my opinon the whole thing is subject to change because our Board of Directers real interest is more in CAL rather then XJet. That's why were really a shell of a corporation at the whip of CAL.

I'm sure in do time CAL will bring in someone else to fly jets for CAL, most likely Skywest. However I don't believe it will be as adverse to an XJet career as the captain you talked to seems to think. I'm not going to laugh at concessions until our TA is signed. Eventually we will be part of the portfolio just like DAL, but like I said before we might be working for DAL by '07 anyways.

It will affect our negotating abilities in future contracts. That's why this contract is so critical for us. If we go on strike CAL is f*cked. There is no other regional that takes up as much of the mainline operation as we do for CAL.

I.P. Freley said:

Why would CAL buy 374 airplanes, paint them in the mother ship colors and then terminate the agreement to have those jets flown?

- CAL could end up dissin' XJT and put the planes on its certificate, thereby creating instant demand for 3000+ more CAL pilots.

- CAL could end up dissin' XJT and five 374 planes to another carrier to fly for less money, thereby creating instant demand for 3000+ pilots.

- I could be extremely drunk right now on wine, chess and my american life!

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Latest resources

Back