• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XOJET Lets 23 pilots go.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am very sorry to hear about this. I wish for the best for those involved. I have friends at XO jet and wish them the best and hope everything works out well for everyone. Good Luck all!

Sorry about the "terminations" at XOJet.

Are they going to replace these pilots, or is this another way to downsize?

Due to this being "merit based", is there any talks within the pilot group of unionizing, or fear of writing up broken planes? I wonder if the FAA hears about this, XOJet pilots can expect more frequent ramp checks.

And...does this still qualify them as one of the best companies to work for in the Nor Cal region? (I would think that those fired can take this to the local media and use this as an arguement to get there jobs back and to furlough using the seniority method).

Last edited:
I'm not going to go into a bunch of rhetoric about this or that.

But as someone who has lost a job at Christmas time.

I'm very sincerely sorry for those affected. In fact, It affets us all.

Good luck to you and hopefully you will be put on an even better path soon.

Semore

Ya think managemnt would show some heart and AT LEAST wait until after xmas.....just shows how spinless mangement is.

Terminated huh? They may have recall rights but if they were terminated, that is a lot different from a layoff. This probably has pretty strong potential for a class action lawsuit unless the company offered up severance packages with releases attached to those packages.

Hope all goes well in the future for those 23 pilots.

Mr. I.

I too hope that the market recovers quickly so these 23, together with the 104 from Flight Options and God-knows how many from the airlines can get jobs...but....

since XO Jet is a non-union employer working in an "at will" state, the terminated employees don't have a cause for action against them unless they fired all the pilots over 65, or the minority pilots, or the female pilots, etc. From a management perspective, it is cheaper and easier to terminate rather than put employees into some type of temporary layoff.

When Flexjet had cutbacks earlier in the decade, they too terminated the pilots they didn't need. When the market recovered, most - but not all - of the terminated pilots were offered new positions. They were given new hire dates (no credit for prior service), signed new training contracts, etc. It was the cost of getting their jobs back.

this is meant to head off b19's "union's fault" campaign.

broke, being laid off isn't any fun for anybody.. been there, done that for reasons that I've mentioned ad nauseum. They key here is the survivability of the entire company.

You seem to think that management is in some back room sitting on a pile of cash wringing their hands together like Scrooge. They don't want to lay off anybody at any time of year. They didn't pick Christmas as the "optimum" time of year for layoffs. It just worked out that way. Christmas happens at the end of the year, and the calender doesn't stop for anybody. Bills need to be paid and the need to look out into the future is always there.

The key here is to how to make the company survive the downturn in the economy, because everybody loses if it doesn't. As miserable as it is for the pilots that were laid off, all the other employees are taking the hit also. If the company survives all of this (many companies are closing their doors) it will be because somebody made choices others didn't want to make. The key in this economy is how fast those changes can be made.

we can play these games until i wear out my keyboard. I hate what management does and you hate what unions do.

I just sumed up ALL these threads with that last sentance.......move on.

It is not uncommon in the business world to not have any furlough or layoff program at all. Employees are terminated and can get unemployment benefits. It is up to the company whether to rehire but most do unless the period of time is a long one.
The general distaste for management on these boards belies the fact that most managers I know do not want to shrink the company, do not want to lay off, terminate, or punish employees. They want to grow the business. 9/11 killed one of my companies, took away our revenue stream, people terminated. Right now, this business is shrinking and people will be let go. It is the nature of the moment not some management conspiracy.

broke, being laid off isn't any fun for anybody.. been there, done that for reasons that I've mentioned ad nauseum. They key here is the survivability of the entire company.

You seem to think that management is in some back room sitting on a pile of cash wringing their hands together like Scrooge. They don't want to lay off anybody at any time of year. They didn't pick Christmas as the "optimum" time of year for layoffs. It just worked out that way. Christmas happens at the end of the year, and the calender doesn't stop for anybody. Bills need to be paid and the need to look out into the future is always there.

The key here is to how to make the company survive the downturn in the economy, because everybody loses if it doesn't. As miserable as it is for the pilots that were laid off, all the other employees are taking the hit also. If the company survives all of this (many companies are closing their doors) it will be because somebody made choices others didn't want to make. The key in this economy is how fast those changes can be made.

You are correct however think of all the goodwill the company could have had from the pilots if they had at least postponed the terminations untill jan.

Latest resources

Back