• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJ to NWA flow-new thread without the crap

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think if you look around at the industry's flow programs the effect is that it slows upgrade opportunity because it ties attrition to the hiring of the major partner. You are right in that the NWA pilots shouldn't be using negotiating capital to secure this deal which leads me to believe that it was offered by NWA management free of charge. NWALPA has never spent a dime on fostering a good relationship with their regional partners, in fact its been just the contrary.

I think it is plenty reasonable for pilot groups to preserve the intergrity of their seniority list. Quid pro quo's should prevail in any agreement like this.

No flow up with seniority = no flow back with seniority
No flow up without a vacancy = no flow back without a vacancy

Historically speaking a flow agreements have never worked out for the regional partner in the long term. I see no reason why this will work any different. The current pilots who will get a vote on this issue will probably see some benefits from this program but the pilots who make up Mesaba 6-7 years from now will be taking it in the a$$.

BINGO !

Never mind that the NWA scope language specifically excluded Mesaba and PCL from getting growth.... Kumbaya....Kumbaya.....

Yeah, too bad Mesaba will never grow. The training center is like a ghost town these days...I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they close it down since we will never grow. :rolleyes:

Historically speaking a flow agreements have never worked out for the regional partner in the long term.

An excellent point. Can anyone name a flowthrough/flowback agreement that benefited the regionals and its pilots?

AMR - No
CAL - No
USAirways - No

Remember, the airline industry is highly cyclical and once a decade hits a major downturn that usually results in massive flowbacks.

70s - Arab oil embargo
80s - recession
90s - Gulf War I
2000s - Gulf War II

It's been like clockwork once every ten years and remember the negative effects of the furloughs/flowbacks linger for YEARS.

NWALPA has never spent a dime on fostering a good relationship with their regional partners, in fact its been just the contrary.

You've been listening to WG too much. He was never able to foster a good relationship with the NWA MEC because he never wanted to. Captain Wychor has always had an excellent relationship and continues to do so because he's put the effort in and kept the lines of communication open.

An excellent point. Can anyone name a flowthrough/flowback agreement that benefited the regionals and its pilots?

AMR - No
CAL - No
USAirways - No

USAir has never had a flowthrough agreement with their feeder airlines. AMR's flowthrough wasn't exactly great, but I blame the APA's arrogance for that. They refused to create a fair system. CAL's flowthrough actually did work out well for the pilots. The flowbacks were short lived, and there were a lot of pilots that flowed from CoEx to CAL. The first several newhire classes after CAL started hiring a couple of years ago were practically all flowthroughs.

I believe that flowbacks will come onto the MSA list BELOW those who decide to stay at MSA for the duration ("Rights" pilots).

This would be good for the senior folks who don't want to start over, bad for the junior fo who, not willing to commit to MSA for the career, may get pushed out of a Capt. position should NWA flow back.

But really, folks, how many NWA furloughs would WANT to flow back? Very few, if the most recent experience applies. They won't want the massive paycut, and crappier schedules.
They will do their "other" dream jobs, or stay home with the kids, while sugar mamma works...
Flowbacks are not a substantial issue, beyond protection for the most senior pilots who want to stay at MSA....IMHO

excluding growth???

Never mind that the NWA scope language specifically excluded Mesaba and PCL from getting growth.... quote]

Joe,
Can you enlighten me on how we excluded growth at Mesaba and PCL? As far as I can tell, NWA scope only limits 76 seaters--and that's on all feeders.

MSA can still fly unlimited Saabs as always. NWA scope didn't for them to sell the Avro's. If anything, NWA scope has relaxed to allow MSA to fly a limited number of 76 seaters as well unlimited Q400s if they wish.

PCL can still fly unlimited CRJ 440s as always. Now they can also fly unlmited CRJ 200s in addition adding 6 seats. Plus NOW they can fly a limited number of 76 seaters and unlimited Q400s if they desire.

So I ask again, what's new to NWA scope that wasn't there before?
Thanks,
Schwanker

Why do mainline pilots think they can come in at the top, while I should go to the bottom? Get real....

The jets come with strings attached. Remember, this flying belonged to mainline. Mainline agreed to give some of it up with conditions. These are the conditions. The choice to your MEC is take it or leave it. If I were at MSA, I'd prefer to have the 900s on property with attached strings vs. the jets going to Compass or elsewhere. Now it's up to you, via your MEC, to decide. The 1st 36 jets may be handled differently than the rest as the original contract stated. I'm not sure.

FYI...I will not accept a flowback if ever furloughed.
Best,
Schwanker

But really, folks, how many NWA furloughs would WANT to flow back? Very few, if the most recent experience applies. They won't want the massive paycut, and crappier schedules.
They will do their "other" dream jobs, or stay home with the kids, while sugar mamma works...
Flowbacks are not a substantial issue, beyond protection for the most senior pilots who want to stay at MSA....IMHO

Ask the hundreds of Continental pilots that flowed back to CoEx or the hundreds of American pilots that flowed back to Eagle.

Look at the payscales invovled with NWA vs. XJ right now. If you are furlough fodder at NWA (i.e. less than a three year FO) you will get a pay raise by flowing back into a CA spot at XJ.

Joe,
Can you enlighten me on how we excluded growth at Mesaba and PCL? As far as I can tell, NWA scope only limits 76 seaters--and that's on all feeders.

I believe what Joe was refering to was language in the bridge agreement that provided an incentive for NWA to seek 50-seat lift outside of PCL or XJ.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back