• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

X Meigs Field Closed X

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Absolutely unbelieveable. I don't even have the words to convey how angry I am about his dictator-like tactics.

I would have loved to have an incident or accident there so I could sue his a$$.

If I ever find out that he is on one of my flights I will either refuse to fly or "get violently ill" until he gets his sorry hide off of the airplane.

Unfortuneately I do have to fly into ORD once in a while. However, I WILL NOT rent any more cars in Chicago or pay any money to local hotels. If I do have a layover in Chicago, I will bring my own food and will not eat in any local restaurant.

Daley...you are one sorry a$$ son-of-a-b!tch, dirty, rotten conniving, evil jacka$$.

GP

His no fly zone is a joke.
What an ignorant idiot!

Daley commented that in order to keep people safe from terrorist attacks ALL aircraft should be on an IFR flight plane, all flights should be schedualed in advance, and have a predefined operating time.

Gee let's think about that plan logically for a minute. Wheren't the 3 planes that hit the WTC towers and Pentagon on an IFR flight plan, schedualed months in advance, and all three had predefined operating times.

This makes me want to move out of Chicago, seriously.

very sad indeed

i myself being a born and raised south sider of 23+ years this is a sad day indeed for this great city. My first flight in a general aviation aircraft was out of Meigs Fields. I was participating in a program for inner city youth interested in a career in aviation. I still remember that flight like it was yesterday...buzzing along the lakeshore and in awe of the magnificent skyline below. A lot of young people like myself had the opportunity to see the city from above for the first time. Now that the airport is closed these kids wont have the opportunity to experience what i had the great opportunity to experience some years ago....this is sad indeed. i hope there is something that can be done to reverse this action.

The calls I made today included Senator Lott's office, the White House, the Attorney General Contact line, the FBI, and AOPA. I think there is a very good case for the "willful destruction of federal property, i.e.: the runway.

In addition, I sent the following email to the Mayor's office:

I am one of many, Mr. Mayor..

...one of the many thousands of pilots who will not fly into, stay in, do business in, nor recommend to anyone the transaction of business in Chicago.

I feel that the action you have taken to sneak onto Meigs Field like an IRA terrorist in the dead of night is reprehensible at best. I have contacted the US Attorneys General office and reported that you have directed the destruction of federal property, and I have spoken to the office of the White House ********(who sometimes rides on my airplane) and the FBI and suggested that a federal indictment be brought against you.

I predict that you will look back on this undertaking as the end of your political career, and perhaps the most farcical and ill conceived decision of your official life.

My condolences on the departure of your common sense.

Last edited:
Thank goodness I had already experienced the joy of landing at Meigs.

I used all my breath writing a letter to the mayors office. I wonder how they are doing over there considering the mayors phone and email lines are completely tied up.

I hope the feds prosecute the mayor, the city engineers and make them pay to pave the thing and keep it operational till 2026 like they promised. If they don't rebuild Meigs, then the Feds should withhold the funds for ORD and Midway and let Chicago suffer a slow death of infrastructure ruin. I know I'm not buying anything in that city anymore! We should add the whole da_n city to ALPA's boycott list.

i just realized how much it feels like the airport was attacked by terrorists. daley is a f**king terrorist. i'll be flying by meigs to see ground zero on friday...

FlyChicaga said:
Ok, let's not boycott Chicago folks! Kick the d*mn mayor out, but our city still rocks!!! :D

If we boycott the citizens of Chicago will get pissed and can form a recall petition. This is democracy in action unlike what Daley believes in.

FlyChicaga,

Sorry, but supporting the city of Chicago is equal to supporting Mayor Daley. The city is a great city and I will return to conducting business to the city as soon as Daley is gone.
Daley's bit on "National Security" cracks me up...we all saw what a GA airplane can do to a building when that student crashed his cessna into the bank building in Tampa. If he is concerned about national security and the lives of all Chicagoans then maybe he should close down Midway (seems to me runway 4 points right at the city) and O'Hare. Those are the aircraft that are capable of destruction. BTW~ what exactly could the TFR stop anyway...by the time it was determined that an aircraft was no longer following its flightplan it could be buried in downtown Chicago.
Daley needs to THINK things though!!!! His logic doesn't make sense even if you are trying to support him!

Possible protest:
All available pilots each take their plane to Meigs and fly the pattern...no landings, just low approaches all day long. Immature? Yes. But it would be a very visible form of protest. If we can't do that, then flaming bags of dog doo on his doorstep would make me feel a little better!

Wouldn't it have been funny if a NetJets aircraft had gotten trapped there? Man, Warren Buffet is not a man I would want on my a$$.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back