X Meigs Field Closed X

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Class D

I flew up there yesterday, the ATIS at Meigs was very clear "Meigs Field is closed, the Meigs Tower and Class D are still operational, All VFR shorline traffic contact meigs tower"

Pretty narly to see big ass X;s in the runway. I was surprised they weren't still working. . we flew over at about 11 AM.

We need to make this guy pay for what he did. How can he think this is a just way of closing an airport.

Would it be possible to sell Chicago to Canada?

Speaking as a 50% 'nuck, you have to remember that the parliament would never approve the purchase, since American Democrats are too conservative for Canada's taste!

I talked to my friend who works the tower at Meigs and he said the tower will be open for another month. After that he will be jobless and collecting unemployment. He said they had no warning and went to work to find the runway torn up. It's a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** shame.

This action is not only unprecedented but also indicative of how powerful mayor daley thinks he is. It is not only disturbing but flat out scary. I will not travel to Chicago for pleasure anymore and if my job forces me there I will expend all effort to not spend any more money than is absolutely necessary. I hope the citizens of Chicago are wise enough to send this dictator packing. He should be thrown in jail for what he has done!

Meigs...

I'm glad I got the chance to fly a corporate 182 in and out of there on a quasi-regular basis. Sheesh. Unfortunately, having lived in Chicago for 20+ years, I think Daley's going to get away with this one. He's already gotten away with it - but destroying the runway...they didn't do that last time - I wonder how Daley would feel if someone just took a bulldozer to his office, instead of replying to a message like this or sending him a letter. Unfortunately, Lakes hasn't flown in there since ChiEx announced Springfield service a while back.

My question is this - sure, NYC, Disneyworld, and DC have no fly zones over the cities, but are any frickin' airports closed there? Should we close Cleveland's Burke Lakefront (basically a Meigs clone with two parallel runways) or La Guardia, that's close to buildings, isn't it? How about Kansas City Downtown - if memory serves, you go right over the tops of the KC buildings going in there. Someone mentioned Milwaukee - sure, let's close 1L/19R - there are those huge TV towers near Capitol Dr. - and the entire downtown north of the airport.

Or CHRIST - how about Vegas? Let's close McCarran down too.

Where will it stop?

Anybody worried about this having a domino effect on the other large cities across the US?

Daley, you really did Chicago proud on this one.

-brew3

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back