• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

X Meigs Field Closed X

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's my e-mail to the governor for all the good it'll do.

Dear Sir,

What kind of government are you running in the state of Illinois when a mayor can rip up a worldwide landmark under the cover of night, against the wishes of his constituents? I want to express my displeasure with Mayor Daley's actions and urge you to work to assess the appropriate consequences.

We regular citizens may not be able to do much about the Meigs closure but I and everyone I can influence will avoid the totalitarian city of Chicago like the plague. At a time when your biggest airline needs every possible customer, Daley alienated the aviation community. Do you not think we have the power to influence the choices of airline travellers? They can just as easily fly through Detroit, KC, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Salt Lake.......

As you may know, every aspiring pilot in the world has flown into Meigs on their home PC. It was such a treasure that Microsoft made it the default airport on its popular flight simulator software. I'm sure that many made it to Meigs in real life at some point or another, willingly spending their dollars in Chicago. They will no longer have the chance.

The manner in which Daley went about the closure was downright despicable. As the governor, this reflects poorly on you, your state, and its biggest city. I once again urge you to help undo the damage. If not, I hope you and Daley get bounced out on your respective ears.

I send a similar letter to the Mayor and Governor today telling them how outraged I am about this situation, I would urge everyone to do the same. Daley is out of control....whats next Midway?

Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley at [email protected] or
Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich at [email protected]

Meigs POWs to depart today

City of Chicago suddenly tears up the Meigs
Field runway, stranding some 16 aircraft.
AOPA photos by Mark Schaible.

Apr. 2 — Most of the pilots who were trapped by Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley's midnight raid to destroy Merrill C. Meigs Field plan to make their escape today.

Meanwhile, the timing of the closure is looking even more suspicious. According to a report published in this morning's Chicago Tribune, airport workers were instructed by their city bosses to secretly count the number and note the size and type of aircraft parked at the airport each night last week. According to the Tribune report, "That may have been to help ensure that there were no larger private planes, such as a King Air business jet [sic], stuck on the field when six giant 'X' marks were carved into the runway using construction equipment."

"The depths of Daley's conniving continue to astound me," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "Has the man no shame?"

AOPA spent most of the day yesterday, acting as a conduit between all the different factions, helping pilots with aircraft performance data the FAA and city aviation officials wanted, and making sure all parties had the latest accurate information.

The FAA has issued a local notam that authorizes the use of the 3,100-foot taxiway at Meigs as a runway for departures only.

Most of the 16 trapped pilots attended a briefing on departure procedures this morning and are expected to depart as soon as possible. City aviation officials and the FAA have been unable to contact the pilots of the remaining aircraft to inform them of the departure plan and are expected to make arrangements for their departure as they are contacted.

03-2-008x

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back