• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

X Meigs Field Closed X

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reminds me of an old saying... If you can't do it right, do it at night!

From AOPA

AOPA members react angrily to Meigs closure

City of Chicago suddenly tears up the Meigs
Field runway, stranding some 16 aircraft.

Mar. 31 — News of Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's ambush closure of Merrill C. Meigs Field had hardly broken this morning before AOPA began hearing from its members.

In calls and e-mails to the Aviation Services hotline and AOPA President Phil Boyer, members expressed shock and dismay.

"If this action is allowed to stand without protest," wrote one member, "I then can only conclude that General Aviation is truly dying in America .... If this is allowed to stand, I may as well sell my plane, cancel all my CFI training, and hang up my goggles."

Several members' e-mails likened Daley's overnight actions to those of a terrorist or a dictator. "I am starting to feel that I too live in Iraq with dictators changing the rules in the middle of the night," wrote one member. Another pilot, responding all the way from the United Kingdom, said, "Is he employed by the citizens of [Chicago] or by Saddam Hussein? This sort of action just does the terrorist's work for him."

Others raised safety concerns. "What is especially bad for pilots is the lack of contact with the controlling agencies," said one member. Another, commenting on the tentative plan to use the taxiway to get the 16 stranded aircraft out of the airport, said, "I wouldn't. Its not safe at all."

One pilot told AOPA he plans to boycott Chicago until Meigs is reopened. "I will not do business in Chicago. I will not stay in Chicago's hotels or dine at Chicago's restaurants. I will not fly on a commercial flight that terminates or transfers through Chicago." He concludes, "There may be no legal ground to prevent the closure, but we can certainly make it as painful as possible for the Mayor's administration ...."

To express your sentiments regarding the closure and destruction of Meigs Field, contact Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley at [email protected] or Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich at [email protected].

Made my opinions known

I called Senator Lott's office and gave my opinion of that a$$ hole Daley! I hope somehow he get's "creamed". I hope everyone else will call and voice their opinion!

Happy FLying!

Last edited:
I'd like to run a picture in their daily paper. Nice picture of Hitler, Mussolini, Sadaam, Osama, and in the middle of the pack, Daley. What a piece of sh|t he is.

:( Never got the chance to fly there and now i never will What a bombshell to drop on GA across the country. Where is FS gonna base now? Hopefully they will keep CGX for memories of the lucky ones who got to fly in....

Ok, if pilots as a group are so good at remembering things and can somehow stick together to persecute scabs then I suggest this:

To All Pilots:

Do not allow Mayor Daley access to ANY aircraft. Airline Pilots, can you back all of us up on this? Do not fly him or his family members anywhere! Period. Make this a lifetime restriction. Make it that he will have to take a fine Chicago cab to wherever he might want to go.

I am really serious about this. Boycott this jack*ss dictitorial moron.

NO ONE SHOULD FLY THIS MAN
ANYWHERE.

Pass this around, get the word out!

Daley should just get used to walking to where he wants to be.

DICK-TATOR DALEY

Imagine landing that day and all you wanted to do is spend the night...needless to say you'd be spending a lot longer time there than you had anticipated!

Dictator Daley should be forced to pay for a new runway out of his pocket.

For those of you who aren't in Chicago -

The 15 or so stranded aircraft.... Daley wanted them to depart from the taxi way and if that couldn't be done... would work out some other method of 'returning the aircraft to the owner'...

Insted of using "X" markings on the runway, the bulldozers literally ripped into the concrete... the rubble looks like a war zone and is approximatly 6 feet high....

:eek:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back