Wright Fight Update zzzzzzzzzzzz

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mugs said:
For decades the legacy carriers have invested in expanding and improving the aviation infrastructure, rather than clinging on to second rate airports like MDW for most of their history.

Do you really think the legacies invested money "for the public good"?

Wrong. They invested because they thought there was money to be made, market share to strengthen, and competitors to block.

I don't know where you are coming from. You are either naive and buying the company BS machine or are just an arrogant jackarse that thinks everyone should fly in double breasted suits, evening gowns and drink champagne.

Either way its hopelessly out of date. Wake up to reality

You think UAL and AA go into smaller cities so Civilian only pilots - like myself could build flight time and apply to Southwest? Well, lets use your logic a little more.....

I was a Corporate Pilot (for a major computer company) - so my thanks go out to all those people that bought computers in the 1990's. Then I flew freight for the big 3, as in cars/trucks & SUV's so many thanks to the few people out there that still buy AMERICAN. The Legacies DID nothing for me....

I Also Flew Freight So Nice Try Too Bad I Didn't Take The 7 Year Upgrade At American Eagle That Saab Looks Awesome

SWA/FO said:
Then I flew freight for the big 3, as in cars/trucks & SUV's so many thanks to the few people out there that still buy AMERICAN.

Unfortunatley, they are really buying CANADIAN and MEXICAN.

Wanna buy American, get a Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, etc... Now you are supporting jobs here.

FlyBoeingJets said:

Wrong. They invested because they thought there was money to be made, market share to strengthen, and competitors to block.

Exactly. And since what they invested in was inherently more expensive, it requires a revenue premium to make it work. That revenue premium is what has been missing and in turn has made several legacies, as Canyon so well put it, unable to pay their bills.

SWA invested in far less expensive, second rate (and sometimes less safe) airports like MDW. That along with a non hub and spoke type operation means much less revenue is required to make it work. A great system to be sure, but one that does not and can not serve many markets.

Mugs said:
For decades the legacy carriers have invested in expanding and improving the aviation infrastructure, rather than clinging on to second rate airports like MDW for most of their history. An aviation system that can't get a businessman from Minot to Milan or Milwaukee is far from complete. Somebody had to make the investments so that could be a reality. Unfortunately, such networks have proven overwhelmingly expensive given the unprecedented industry conditions of the last few years. What the future holds, who knows.

At least for you Canyon and many of your civilian only SWA buds, those very airlines that have had trouble paying their bills with the above mentioned route systems provided you guys with a career making opportunity. They provided the jobs that allowed you to quickly build the 1000 turbine PIC time SWA requires doing the type of flying SWA likes to see from civilian applicants. I'm glad that our pathetic, can't pay the bills airlines in your view were around to help you by developing the networks and hence the jobs that made you marketable to SWA. Hopefully, we can continue to do so for many more pilots in the future at SWA and elsewhere.

What is your background, Mugs? Below your avatar it says Civ only but your post seems to imply that you have some military background. What gives?

flypdx said:
What is your background, Mugs? Below your avatar it says Civ only but your post seems to imply that you have some military background. What gives?

Ill tell you what his background is jealous bitch at the end of the bar

cptcrunch said:
Ill tell you what his background is jealous bitch at the end of the bar

Impressive. Did you come up with that while munching on your cereal this morning?

FlyPdx. Nope. Civilian only, with the upmost respect for those that served.

FlyBoeingJets said:

I don't know where you are coming from. You are either naive and buying the company BS machine or are just an arrogant jackarse that thinks everyone should fly in double breasted suits, evening gowns and drink champagne.

Either way its hopelessly out of date. Wake up to reality

FBJ my bud, I got way more respect for you than most of your fellow SWA pilotos. I want to point out a possible discrepancy here, but first, who is this cptcrunch a$$clown? One of yours? The guys got the dumbest avatar I've ever seen. Has he got some sort of perverted fantasy about an aged man servant? I'm disgusted, I don't think I'll acknowledge him.

Under regulation, airlines had to prove that a proposed new route met with a certain degree of public necessity; thats in addition to proving that your company had the financial wherewithall and that your equipment and training were well suited to the proposed new route. THAT is what legacy airlines didn't learn quick enough. Legacies suffered from the regulation hangover too long and didn't realize there was no longer any public necessity. We should have dropped 50% percent of what we provided (maybe more) and let the chips fall.

You're right, time to wake up to reality. The average consumer is tatooed, pierced, super sized, and extra stupid. At the rate our customer base is digressing they'll soon be too stupid to even get their butt to the airport. They'll go to a vacation website, order take out, and play video games. I think we're about halfway there, what do you think?

Last edited:
SWA invested in far less expensive, second rate (and sometimes less safe) airports like MDW. That along with a non hub and spoke type operation means much less revenue is required to make it work. A great system to be sure, but one that does not and can not serve many markets.

Less safe airports? Come'on thats like saying UAL invested into less safe airplanes, the DC-10 and B747. Or UAL invested into less safe pilots throughout their hiring in the 1990's.

the SWA/FO

:pimp:

Latest resources

Back